Kawasaki World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going to the IOM TT. Having never been before I am after some advice on bookings places to stay etc etc. The 12 should be a blast over the mountain!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

I am going with 5 of my mates will be my 4th yr in row... one of my mates will be his 12th yr in row..

Some more mates want to come with us but getting a ferry ticket is impossible at the moment.. you need to wait until 28th of Feb/1st March... that is when all of us that have paid deposits have to pay the balance outstanding.. if you don't pay the space then becomes available...

or 1 mate last year found a £220 return ferry ticket on ebay for £500.. :loco: more money than sense but he had to come... :clap::crazyloco:

Love going... great racing... great people... mountain - no speed limits - is awesome... relaxed police... great beer..!!!

Got to be on your bucket list at least once..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Defo want to go. It's my 40th next year so that's as good an excuse as any. I have a few mates that have been and say it's great. I am looking at going during practice week. Is it any quieter/cheap then?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been 3 times to the island, only once for the TT in 1999. Went in 1997 & 1998 to the Streetfighters drag racing at Jurby.

The atmosphere at the TT is great, everyone gets on and has a great time. I spoke to one of the coppers there and he said that even though the mountain has no speed limit, they would pull you for being a bit of a dickhead if anything 'dangerous' is seen.

It was very strange to legally overtake a BMW M5 cop car on the mountain at about 125mph.:thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Defo want to go. It's my 40th next year so that's as good an excuse as any. I have a few mates that have been and say it's great. I am looking at going during practice week. Is it any quieter/cheap then?
No not really...!! all prices still ramped up.. ferry .. accommodation etc..

Maybe a little quieter.. my first time i went the thurs before practice week starts and stayed through.. it was very quiet to start with and got busy as the week progressed... nice thing was the mountain section was not coned off until sat pm so had 2 days of awesome no cone runs...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

No not really...!! all prices still ramped up.. ferry .. accommodation etc..

nice thing was the mountain section was not coned off until sat pm so had 2 days of awesome no cone runs...

Been there in 04, 05 and 07,

Something that has to be visited if your a Bike Nut

Cones on the Mountain ruin it, gutted,

Got Nicked for 128mph, two up, with the luggage, out of Kate's down to the The Creg in 07,
Gutted,
They'd moved the 60mph signs,
Used to be between The Creg and Brandish :puzzled::puzzled:

Too expensive and too crowded on the roads for my liking,

But you have to go there, to experience The TT,

This year I'm off to The North West 200 in Northern Ireland, with a West Coast Tour on the way home :thumbup:

Thanx Dave.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Slightly controversial here but, really doesn't appeal to me at all :scared:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get why people go, but for me it's just become an opportunity to fleece as much money out of bikers for a couple of weeks :thumbdown:

Now at some point I'll probably have a punt over there, but it won't be when it's full of race wanna-be halfwits hell bent on getting themselves, or worse still someone else, killed :squint:

If I want a great road ride out, it'll be with a bunch of guys I fully trust (that'll be you Wales lot by the way :thumbup: )

And I'll be at the UK MotoGP round for the atmosphere and the racing :thumbup:

(I'm not a total killjoy :thefinger: :lol: :nana: )

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get what your saying totally. When I was younger I was one of those but as I have got older /safer yet faster I want something else. I go to MotoGP at Silverstone with a large group of mates every year. The racing is first and if we get drunk on an evening at the golf club that's great.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
To go to the Isle of Man is on my "bucket list" so to speak, but not to race or even at the time of the TT. I just want to ride the mountain circuit a time or two at a nice leisurely pace.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Another option,

Still using The TT Circuit,

Is The Manx Grand Prix in late August

Same sort of set up, but racing some modern and classic's etc.

Still reasonably expensive to get there and the same sort of prices for accommodation,

But not so manic, a much more laid back experience, and not so crowded.

Thanx Dave.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been to the TT a few times but not for a few years now as it's a lot of money as you get older and family, mortgage, etc get in the way. I'm going to the Manx GP / Classic TT with 6 mates this year as saw some coverage of it on TV and looks like a great time for a lot less cash.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Just checked the link for the Manx races, they look quite interesting. Although I'm not likely to be able to get there anytime soon, I think I would prefer it to the IOM TT to be honest (wouldn't knock chance for either though). It reminds me of the difference between a MotoGP and World Superbikes at Phillip Island, the SBK has always been a more relaxed event and you can even ride your bike round the track perimeter to a get better vantage point, also the pits were easily accessible, that was a few years ago so don't know if it's changed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts