Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2001 ZX12r that I bought 3 years ago and I just recently had 2 send it to the shop for work on the clutch. It would still pull while holding the clutch and would not come out of gear due to this if I was stopped.

The shop put new clutches in but it still doesn't fully disengage when squeezing the clutch lever. It doesn't still pull while holding the lever UNLESS I rev the engine up!! But what it's doing that really bothers me is after starting the bike after it has been sitting awhile, it shifts very hard into 1st gear then dies! I have to then put it into nuetral and restart it and put it in 1st. It still goes in gear hard, but doesn't die.

I took it back to the shop and they drilled holes in the basket becuz they claimed half of the plates were not getn oil. Still... same problems!

Now they say it's something wrong with the hub.

My question... does anyone have suggestions for me on how 2 get my baby's clutch right? I've been told this is an epidemic with ZX12s!! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Someone does not know how to setup a clutch basket. If I drop down a plate into a basket... think out the box so you follow me. Lay the bike on the side if you have to follow this.

I drop one steel one friction down a shaky basket center and outer. These have play because; don't the plates just drop down no effort needed? Now I install the pressure plate. If I flipped the bike over so the plates now drop out, won't they drop out yes or no?

Then, how is it, I install a round of springs, push a rod against it and it moves away from the plates that are stacked and about to fall out we move the basket position. You see how stupid someone looks stacking plate all dry now and that means it separates without it sticking? Now drill holes in it the factory had it wrong?

You jamming that gear box is a clutch pack that is still holding down the other pack. That slam is a dragging clutch on the stalls it is like you have not pulled the clutch in. Tell that mechanic to read this post so I toast his ass for being not too 'clutch assembly savvy.'

Are the steels all set in any old direction? Cut side faces the friction plate, but your steels are flipped all over as in not uniform? Lay fingers against each other as if to pray he did it right. Now, lay your hand over the other and do you see how both your fingers move together, not against each other like pray you figure this out.

Someone needs to lay those plates on each other to see one new plate was wrinkled from shipment and the guy did not catch it = There is no other explanation unless the basket tangs are so deep they do not release the plates apart but are hooked in the grooves = BANGoes 1st gear!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Someone does not know how to setup a clutch basket. If I drop down a plate into a basket... think out the box so you follow me. Lay the bike on the side if you have to follow this.

I drop one steel one friction down a shaky basket center and outer. These have play because; don't the plates just drop down no effort needed? Now I install the pressure plate. If I flipped the bike over so the plates now drop out, won't they drop out yes or no?

Then, how is it, I install a round of springs, push a rod against it and it moves away from the plates that are stacked and about to fall out we move the basket position. You see how stupid someone looks stacking plate all dry now and that means it separates without it sticking? Now drill holes in it the factory had it wrong?

You jamming that gear box is a clutch pack that is still holding down the other pack. That slam is a dragging clutch on the stalls it is like you have not pulled the clutch in. Tell that mechanic to read this post so I toast his ass for being not too 'clutch assembly savvy.'

Are the steels all set in any old direction? Cut side faces the friction plate, but your steels are flipped all over as in not uniform? Lay fingers against each other as if to pray he did it right. Now, lay your hand over the other and do you see how both your fingers move together, not against each other like pray you figure this out.

Someone needs to lay those plates on each other to see one new plate was wrinkled from shipment and the guy did not catch it = There is no other explanation unless the basket tangs are so deep they do not release the plates apart but are hooked in the grooves = BANGoes 1st gear!
Hubz man...you crack me the hell up. You're smart as shit, and put it in ways that just, well, make folks think.....

....about what, I'm not sure, but they're thinking...and that's all that matters eh?:rotflmao::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Whatup, Dremack! It's been about 16 years since I've been to Tyler.
If you go to the site search at the top of this page, click on 'advanced', type the word 'clutch' in the search box, only search in the titles, and only search the 'ZX12r' forum, you will find a wealth of clutch information. Other people have had the problem you're having and you may find your solution there. Good luck with it.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Hubz man...you crack me the hell up. You're smart as shit, and put it in ways that just, well, make folks think...
:crazyloco: I make it so crazyloco stu pit :rotflmao: Only 'the few elite' can cackle at the 'thinks' I come up wit. It's a small, [DIS-sting-wish] club you be clubbing wit. WOTwatt can I tell ya? :nana:

We leaveveryonelse in the dust to finger out where to place that upon head! :puzzled:

:thumbup: I only choose the best Q's to goof with. :banghead: The rest is on your end trying to answer your own question it'sitting righthere on your LAP-Of-Laughs.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ask them what brand plates they used....New steels or the old ones...Is stack height high or low or in the middle....Not much you can do except turn the adjuster out a little more...But too much and it will make it slip....2.24 to 2.27 stack height.....With oem fibers....

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
+1 - mine did the same thing before the cable snap down to one strand. Barely got home...lots of no clutch shifting.
I've been practicing my clutchless downshifts lately to save wear and tear on the cable... :lol: :crackup:

Works quite well, thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've been practicing my clutchless downshifts lately to save wear and tear on the cable... :lol: :crackup:

Works quite well, thanks! :thumbup:
I use my air shifter all the time....Hardly ever use the lever except when stopping.....High pressure system...Just refilled my bottle after using it for over a month....Street/strip usage.....

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
i had the same issue i'm waiting on a gasket and oil change to dig in but I'm pretty sure my height is low (aftermarket lever has a different pivot than the stocker too) for now I just cranked on the adjuster it disengages and doesn't slip now. I also had a clutch cable snap while hot rodding around town, pulled up to a light and snap! first time I ever had to clutchless downshift

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Eh....cables break. It's a ll part of the fun...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
practicing clutchless DOWNSHIFTS might come back to bite you in the ass in form of bent shift forks or worse,, dont get me wrong i ride everywhere upshifting without the clutch but downshifting is another animal with very small forks on the 12,,, hope you know what you are doing! :thumbup: as far as your clutch issue,, i would check the puller shaft to make sure it is seated correctly and your freeplay,,, but if you know how i would yank the clutch and check stack height first if you know how!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts