Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a riding jacket. Any suggestions. I want leather and it has to be well ventilated. I was interested in the preforated jackets but I don't know about them. What if it is a cool night then the jacket would be to cold. I was looking at the Vanson Jackets. Any feedback on these.

·
Registered
166 Posts
jackets

ok i don’t know anything about vanson's but i can tell ya about my teknic and joe rocket jackets. i have a joe rocket phoenix jacket which use on extremely hot days ( when i don’t feel like wearing the leather ) which is great. it feels like you don’t have a jacket on. i have a teknic perforated chican suit and it is great for warm days it keeps you cool but on chilly mornings it is kind of cold. i have a teknic silverstone jacket which i use during winter time ( i ride in the cold :D ) which is good because it is not perforated. so i guess you need to decide in what weather you will be riding the most then decide on what jacket to get. i ride year round so i have 3 jacket and two pairs of gloves. i hope this helps

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic 3.0 jacket, somewhat on the warm side for summer but great so far when the temps. dip. The coldest I have ridden with it so far is at 50 degrees, but that will change real soon. It has removable armor and you can get great deals on these now as I believe they are discontinuing this jacket for '03. I got mine from newenough.com

Scott W.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Blaster jacket. Mine is not perforated however you can get them perforated if you like but I never have a problem in the heat. It vents ok not great but not bad either. I haven't tested it yet :wink: but it seems to be very well built. The leather (on the blaster) for some reason is taking longer to break in than my past leather jackets....don't know why, maybe a little thicker. They are around $275.00 to $300.00 depending on where you get them at.

·
Registered
650 Posts
jackets.....

I have the joe rocket speedmaster in black, I wear it in 90 degree heat and it really doesnt bother me and it keeps me warm in the cool night rides........and it will hold up in a good spill....( found that out the hard way :D )

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought mine from Kawasaki on the Kawasaki main site. Was on sale for 189.00. I love it it is black and silver full protection and leather. I also bought matching riding gloves with carbon fiber for 75.00 dollars from them. They had many other jackets. You should check it out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
jus1975 said:
I need a riding jacket. Any suggestions. I want leather and it has to be well ventilated. I was interested in the preforated jackets but I don't know about them. What if it is a cool night then the jacket would be to cold. I was looking at the Vanson Jackets. Any feedback on these.
I have a Vanson Cobra jacket and I love it. You can't find any better than Vanson. The only issue with the Cobra is that my arms get too warm in the summer. However, Vanson has addressed this issue with the Vanson Mark 2 Cobra (wouldn't you know that they would come out with a new version 6 months after I bought mine). The Mark 2 Cobra has zippered sleeve vents to address the heat issue with the arms. The zippered air curtains work great. I tend to get a bit warm when stuck in traffic or at a red light. But, this happens when I wear my JR Phoenix jacket too. Cooling is good when you are on the move, especially after you've been stuck at a light. You sweat at the light and as soon as you take off you get cooling from the air/sweat, which produces an almost air conditioner like effect. The only other downside that I can think of with the Cobra is the color. Black in the hot sunlight is the worst color. However, it's also a universal color that doesn't limit you if you decide to get another bike in a different color. Vanson tends to be pretty good about making custom leathers, but I don't know if you can get a Mark 2 Cobra in a custom color. That's something I'm going to look into.

How does the Cobra fair in cold weather? Excellent. I wore it last fall/winter. I've got the Vanson Streamliner Insulated Vest/liner for my jacket. This jacket has worked well for me into the coldest weather that I care to ride in.

You can't beat the versatility of this jacket. It works great for days that are warm but nights are cool.

Vanson stuff is more expensive. But you can't beat it. It's the best shit since swiss cheese....

I'm looking at trading my Cobra for a Mark 2 Cobra at www.newenough.com. If I go that route, I'll probably pick up a pair of Vanson Technical Sport Pants (perf TEPV) as well. With the trade in and the current sale they got going I may be able to save $350 to $400 on the deal. The only reason that I may not go with newenough is if Vanson can do a custom color for the Mark 2 that I can't get through newenough.

If it wasn't for the zippered arm vents on the Mark 2, I wouldn't even think about getting rid of my Cobra....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Vanson can't be beat.. The only downside is they are just plain expensive.. but I love mine.. Last summer I picked up a Vanson Hurricane jacket which has tons of small perforations throughout the jacket.. They are so small it is really hard to see them even close up.. But it is amazing how much cooler it is compared to a standard jacket.. There are pockets for armor and also an inner liner can be attached. Also, the jacket is set to attach to the Vanson pants with a zipper system.
My Vanson listed for around $550, but after you wear it for a while it fits like a glove..
Also, the Vanson products are built out of thicker leather so they should help protect you more in case things go wrong.. :?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts