Kawasaki World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does that REALLY mean? I know that the rumors make it out to be " death" to all sportbikers, but I have a hard time with that. We have alot of stunters here in the DFW area and at times I may leave an event within a group of 100+ bikes, and if I pull over, I goto jail ? More to the point, we had a Police Helicopter start circling overhead at Sonic. :cry: ( Thursday night hangout) and 5-8mins later, 1 police car w/ 2 officers pulls up and stops in the middle of a 6 lane major street, driver jumps out a walks briskly towards the crowd w/ baton in hand... most everyone turns and runs(onfoot) a couple slow pokes get grabbed by the collar and are told to go sit to the side. then he returns to what group is left and grabs 2 more....
(From my view totally random) At which point his partner pulls the cruiser around and block the exit to Sonic and is standing outside the drivers door. Some yahoo on a R-1 pulls up next to the cruiser and smokes the rear tire up and does a rolling burnout down the street. (NOT Good!) :roll:
A few of the bystanders that saw that let out a laugh at the scene and the 2nd officer came around that car, again w, baton in hand, and pointed at all of us and yelled that since we thought that was funny WE were all in trouble and she wanted all of our DL's and for us to all go over to the other officers " holding area " ( I just turned and walked away :roll: ) the ones who complied we all sat to the side and stripcuffed ( Zip Ties )..... Anyways, you get the idea.... WTF ? I know that w/o you actualling being there we don't know why, but what are your thoughts on this? Is this what we have to look forward to since a 0 tol. has been put into effect?

Thanks for your time.

Steve

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Well Steve, about the only zero tolerance we deal with here is either regarding the schools and violence with students or while on DWI enforcement /seat belt enforcement patrols. Without being at the event you were at it's difficult for me to respond as to why the officers took the action that they did. I have trouble understanding why the officers were collaring bikers for just being in the area, unless it is clearly posted as a no trespassing zone. Simply riding in a large group is not breaking any laws that I know of, nor is just hanging out. Again, that's my point of view from where I work, they may have laws that are on the books out there that allow the police different powers regarding this type of situation. Sorry I can't add more.

Scott W.

G

·
0 Posts
Safe,

Sounds like Dallas is heading towards the same confrontation that we saw in Houston several weeks back. I was so glad to hear the public stand up and scream about that bull! Hopefully the Dallas taxpayers won't have to foot the bill on too many lawsuits before someone knocks the mayor upside the head.

·
4,208 Posts
In my precinct we have a severe drag racing condition.....Now being a former street racer (prior to being LEO) I coudlnt understand it .....But after I see some of the reasoning as to why .....When they apply Zero Tolerance to them all it means is that all of ones paper MUST be in order as well as teh working condition of the vehicle. For every infraction there is a summons and if it severe enough...(no lights Slicks NO PAPERS).. then the vehicle can be impounded. I for one have refrained from most bike nites due to a couple of morons messing it up for everybody.If you have everything in order and dont partake in some of the Squid activites the helll with them and go.....I personally am just tired of the hassle... Hope this helps......Brian

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What " things" are you talking about , that cause the policy to go into effect?

Also, the people that were grabbed out of the crowd were not on bikes
they were standing on Sonic property and we not drinking.

Sonic has given us permission to meet on Thursday nights and has been a great hang out up till now. Looks like Hooter's may be the next stop (They promote a local stunt team as well !! )

Thank you all for the replies !!

Steve

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Steve if you know any of the ones that were collared and not riding/drinking, see if you can find out what they were charged with. My best guess would be dis.con/ disorderly conduct or a violation similar to that statute. Not saying it was called for, without being there I don't know, but it happens quite a bit, especially when the police arrive and some knucklehead pulls the stunt like that guy did by melting his tire next to a squad. There's a time and place, doing a burn out in front of the police will do one thing, piss them off. What happens next is that they get aggravated as this gives them the appearance of not being in control of the crowd ( we like to be in control) and they take it out on those that are left.

Generally speaking, a zero tolerance goes into effect due to numerous complaints being received from the general public. This is brought to the attention of the police supervisors who then give the directive to patrol to do whatever is necessary to correct the problem, be it speeding enforcement, underage drinking, etc. I've never seen a zero tolerance policy go into effect without gripes being received first by the public regarding whatever the issue at hand may be.

As I stated above, a zero tolerance can be applied to most anything that is not within the law, and is supposed to take away police discretion as to issue a summons/make a arrest. Our most recent use of it was this summer, when a Federal fund became present to pay for police overtime for seatbelt enforcement. The program, called click it or ticket, as stupid as it sounds, is currently in use throught NJ.

Scott W.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to find some of the people from last week, tonight.... no luck
But your replies have helped.

Steve

ps Tonight was " Ticket the parked cars " night.... they walked along the
street and ticketed cars for parking there ( No signs saying you couldn't )

O well... I'm just here to hang out w/ friends and ride.Wish there were more of you guys ( 12r's ) here to ride with!

:?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Zero Tolerance = No Discretion!!!

This is due to the Politics with in your state in regards to Income for the city/state that you live in!!!

Everytime some politician comes up with a Big Idea to make money for the city/state you live in the Cops have to enforce it!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets see:

Tuesdays: Blue Goose cantina in Addison(Beltline/Midway) 125+ bikes
Thursdays: Sonic on Northwest Highway(between Garland Rd-Jupiter)250+
Saturdays : Whataburger on NWHwy and 35 (Across from Sam's) 200+

we usually meet at the above locations then when our " group " all gets there we may go ride and stop to eat somewhere, etc.

e-mail me if you ever plan on coming down and we you can meet up w/ us before riding in.

Steve

·
Registered
179 Posts
..I would suspect that the local law enforcement are doing the things they're doing for several reasons:

1) It's legal enforcement. Whether you like it or not, what cops do are permitted by your local ordinances and state laws. I doubt any agency or city would allow their officers to do something that'll set them up for multiple law suits.

2) Most of these vehicle-related enforcement actions are infractions and misdemeanors. Most require you to go to court or send in your financilal penalty if you chose not to fight it. Either way, you're inconvenienced, and you just might get points on your driving record if its a moiving violation...which again equates to creating a little (or alot) of financial hardship on the convicted.

3) Law enforcement action and law enforcement presence makes it not alot of fun for the participants to be there. Some motorists/audience take that risk, most would rather just leave...and that's the whole idea...TO MAKE IT NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE FOR THAT PARTICULAR TYPE OF ILLEGAL STREET/PRIVATE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC ACTIVITIES.

Believe me, most cops would rather be out there doing other types of law enforcement, but when your citizens, the city council, etc. demand action, they get action...a relative handful of 'speed enthusiasts' do not represent the wishes of the majority.

In San Diego, for instance...they are making SPECTATING an illegal street race a misdemeanor crime now (sounds like your scenerio in Dallas)...one of the the thoughts are: NO AUDIENCE=NO REASON TO RACE

These kinds or ordinances are especially geared towards the younger, inexperienced driver who just got his/her first car/bike...but its also for the the 'older' delinquent who hasn't seen the light (or maybe he/she has seen a different kind of lights a few times by now...) and taken it to the track and go legit.

So, what to do to make it safe and enjoyable for all?...Simple: Make more race tracks, make it inexpensive for drivers/riders and spectators to enter, make it a positive environment to be in, AND DON'T CHARGE SO DAMN MUCH FOR FOOD AND SOFTDRINKS (or beer for those of age if its allowed).

Ok, all kidding aside, drag racing, road racing, fast cars, and fast bikes will not go away...the drivers/riders and spectators will not go away...COPS KNOW THAT...so it would be nice if the cities and even manufacturers of speed parts and their distributors to step up and sanction/subsidize legal venues for these types of activities.

San Diego already has sanctioned 1/8 mile legal drag racing at the stadium, but more could be done...in other words, San Diego (and your city) needs a quality track (Carlsbad is in shambles)...the BIG question is: where to put it and how much will it cost?

The car and motorcycle manufacturers are punching out more and more high-perf stuff recently than they ever have before...for those of you who remember the comapritively ho-hum stuff of the mid-70s-to-mid-80's know what I'm talking about.

There's some serious hardware out there and (it seems) LOTS of disposable income from our inexperienced driving/riding youth to make these missles go even faster...the manufacturers made it and 'they' ('we') came and bought.

We ALL need to be responsible and do our parts....big corporate needs to do their part, too, and step up before the powers that be steps in and makes it 'unprofitable' for them to produce neat stuff us enthusiasts like.

The manufactureres of high-perf vehicles/parts should create a multi-corporate super-fund and subsidize the costs for more tracks! Or there could be a bad domino effect and the demise of high-performance as we know it.

...you think this is far fetched?...food for thought...and so it goes....

·
Registered
38 Posts
We were not doing anything wrong !

Ok, either there is more to the story of what was going on at the Sonic or the officers were way out of line. Why did some people jump over fences when approached by officers ? Did anyone contact the Officers Superiors the next day ? If I was out with a bunch of my friends and got "Hasseled" buy Police, I would do as they asked, offer no resistance or flight and get names and badge numbers of the officers. If they were out of line I am sure there Department would like to be informed of it. There are two sides to every story.... and then there is the TRUTH ! Remember, the Officer may not always be Right, but he is always Right Now ! Comply nad take it up the Superiors at a later date. You will not win taking it up with theOfficer you think is doing you wrong. As noted in another response, we usually do not arrive because we are bored. We were usaully "Dispatched" to the area. This means someone made a complaint. We are not all out to get you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:roll: No one " jumped fences " , they just walked away.. sorta like action, reaction... From the past experience(s), when they arrive, someone gets" nabbed." :? Were they dispatched? Sure I guess, there are always some police cars parked along the street somewhere near or in parking lots , not allowing people to pull in and park/watch/etc.... I am of your belief as well, If I didn't do anything, why walk away... I personally know my share of lawyers, judges, and other officers, that IF someone were to step out of line .. well ya know. Anyways.. IF there is more to it, I'd be suprised.. I was there and did not see anyone in the spectator side doing anything wrong < except watching the action > which may become a " crime" itself... :roll:

Were the officers just " running off " the spectators, so that the stunters would go elsewhere. .maybe... but, again, from experience, Sonic is a bike hangout long before the stunters showed up, I seriously doubt that part will fade anytime soon. And the stunters will do what they do w/ or w/o an audience.. They bust who they can catch.. thats what it seems to be coming too..... another day another chapter... the cooler weather will sure to slow things down either way.

IMO - my .02 worth, etc... :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
CYA

Cover Your Ass. I have spent my time at local hang outs. I still do. Most I have been to are long time hang outs. They way they are kept that way is by the long timers running off the short timers that show up to just show off their riding ability, stunts. There is a time and a place. Some people forget the saying " do not shit where you eat ". This is good advice. In Tempe, Az on Mill Avenue by the college where Tempe PD is everywhere there is a bike gathering every Saturday night. There is about 20 to 50 bikes there at any given time. Now Tempe PD Officers are not exactly Sportbike Lovers. They allow this gathering to continue due to the fact that nobody gets stupid there. Since we are just hanging out with our bikes and each other, we are Loitering. They could run us off, they do not. I have been there several time and seen some kid screwing around get stopped by fellow riders and told to take it elsewhere. This is what you need to do if you want to retain a hangout location. It wi not always work, but screwing around will always get you kicked out or arrested. I hope you can get all who gather at you local area hangout to understand this. Good Luck
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts