Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info on the zx12r as far as a riders input and not a magazines. I know that the zx7r is close to the same wieght as the zx12. But the zx7 was way under powered for me. i am looking for power and more power. How well does the zx12 handle on nice curvy roads and I am not talking about the track just some nice cruzing turns. I really liked the zx7 just want more power. i am used to a heavy bike so I feel the wieght of the zx12 will not hinder my ability's to much. What are some of your inputs as far as how well the zx12r really is compared to other bikes. I am really looking at purchasing one of these bikes. My riding buds think I am crazy because of the wieght issue most of them ride the gsxr 1000 or 750's. Just wanted somw e input, I really like this forum.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
One thing the 12 does NOT have that the ZX-9 had...is that nasty
habit of falling into a turn at slow speeds...we had several ZX-9s
that at 20-30 mph would lean in...and then all of the sudden the
bike would literally fall over into the turn...hated that POS.

Took one ride on a 12 ('02) and it was all over...and I drag my knees
in most of the turns, so maybe this helps... the '02 turns real good,
and you can take it all the way down...some guys like the 180 tire
for better turns, but I like to use rear steer and drift the rear end out
in a turn so I prefer the 200. It's all on how you like to ride....

The 12 is heavier, so you will work up a sweat tossing it from turn
to turn like up at Deal's Gap...but coming out of them, especially
on the uphills....you can JET past other bikes and wait for them in the
turns....hahahha

Jere

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well...

Here are my thoughts:

First, the Gixxer1K is a great bike. A landmark bike, in its own right.

Second, the zx12 is not as heavy as you may think. What I mean by that is the zx12 feels lighter than what it weighs on paper. If you get rid of the piece of junk 200 rear, and go 180 the bike feels downright flickable.

The zx12 can be a very capabable corner carver. It is not as flickable as a gixxer1k in the curves, but there is a big difference in weight. As you know the gixxer1k is featherweight for its size.

When I bought my 12, the other two bikes I was looking at were 1) a gixxer1k and 2) a Busa. I didn't buy the Busa because the styling is a little "unique" for me and I didn't buy a gixxer1k because I wanted a little more comfort on longer trips. And I wanted the baddest bike money could buy when it comes to raw horsepower.

Put the Corbin on the 12 and you can rack up 500 mile days no problem.

As far as performance, the 12 is a Big Dawg. I've got about $1500 in mods on mine, and I fear no other bike. I know, I know, there is always someone faster, but trust me, on the 12 those "faster" guys become a rare commodity.

You will have to drive the 12 more judiciously than the 7, for sure. Especially in the curves. The 12 has more than enough power to break the rear loose at just about any rpm, but is especially nasty above 6k.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is some good advice. I do like the gsxr 1000 but everyone has one here. Plus all of buds are running through clutches like crazy on those bikes. I like to go fast ands do not really do alot of cornering at high speeds just like to drag the bike down the striaghts. I think i am going to have t look at the zx12r agian. I can get a 00 brand new here in my town for $8500 out the door. But i really like the black and gold 02. Plus I believe that the 02 has has some small details fixed on it. correct me if I am wrong. Thankis for the advice hope to get soem more.

G

·
0 Posts
zx12 etc etc bla bla

Well Hungry I currently own a 00 zx12(green of course)and a 96 zx7r
(green of course) and I can tell you that the 12 definitely feels lighter
than the 7. The 12 loves open sweeping corners(so do I).On the 12
you don't fear any other bike!Iuse the 12 for long distance rides and
the occasional drag meeting and the 7 for the occasionl track day
and harrasing my mates on r1s and 'blades when we go out for a blast.
The 7 has its own charachteristics as does the 12 ,both good bikes,but
both very very different.
Good luck in whatever (except suzukis) you choose. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Just a note if the clutch things miffs you and you are a drag racer then you will need a muzzy clutch if your just quick I dont think you will have any problem. (not from my experience from other posts on the board in past)

·
Registered
166 Posts

i came off a gixxer 750 and the 12 is not much different. once the 2 is rolling it does not feel that heavy. i am still able to out corner some of mmy buddies on there 750 ( but thats mostly rider ). i look forward to getting that 200 rear tire off my bike to see how it feels. i think you will like the 12

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of your post they have been very helpful. Oh and to psycho12r I too had a 1996 z7r but i cold not stand the wieght to power ratio there was no power. Ihope Kawasaki does something about that some day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts