Kawasaki World banner

1201 - 1220 of 1575 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
2000 zx12r

Thanks for the kind words. The swing arm has been powdercoated. I had to strip it down, removed all bearings and such to just the swing arm. after I put all new bearings, seals, etc.

Actually I spent two years replacing EVERY bearing,seal from front to back along with all wear parts. Won't get into it. List is too long. Basically it is a new bike again.

Front ram air scoop along with all other carbon fiber bits is made by Hans DeBotech in North Carolina. He made those back when the ZX12R was very popular. ( He has all the molds and will make them on order) The ram air duct is a one piece design from front to the air box. Along with the Muzzy velosity stacks/BMC filters it flows so much more air, I went with the PCV and auto tune setup. What a diffrence!

Oh, Ya. Ohlins. Front, 3K. Back, $1300. Along with Lust Racing rear links the raise the rear 1". The bike feels and handles so much quicker on the track.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Very nice bike you got there Harpoon. Damn looks like you put in a lot to make that joker brand new. I wish I had that time and money. Envy setting in hard...lol

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So last question,

The carbon intakes ive seen are straight through... They dont have the part that hangs down, like expansion chamber? Or something...

Do you notice any difference in throttle response or anything without them?

Or does your intake include them...?

Thanks again for all the info...

·
Registered
528 Posts
So last question,

The carbon intakes ive seen are straight through... They dont have the part that hangs down, like expansion chamber? Or something...

Do you notice any difference in throttle response or anything without them?

Or does your intake include them...?

Thanks again for all the info...
Ive cut my stock ones so they are straight thru and fiberglass and paint over...really popular in zx7r

·
Registered
41 Posts
Perfecte99

My carbon ram air ducts have very small chambers on both sides. Protrude down about an inch or two. Hans said it took him a long time perfecting the size and shape of the chambers. He claims it added 6 to 8 HP on his test bike. As far as my bike, It has more of a wallope on top without any sacrifice in mid range. (seat of the pants dyno) I am running the Power commander V with auto tune.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My carbon ram air ducts have very small chambers on both sides. Protrude down about an inch or two. Hans said it took him a long time perfecting the size and shape of the chambers. He claims it added 6 to 8 HP on his test bike. As far as my bike, It has more of a wallope on top without any sacrifice in mid range. (seat of the pants dyno) I am running the Power commander V with auto tune.
First and most important Hans doesn't own a ZX12R personally. When he built this scoop (and I also own one and consider myself personal friends with Hans) anyway when he built this scoop many years back when the 12R was brand new and cutting edge ALL THE DEVELOPMENT was done on the dyno! No R&D was done on track at speed... This said that power gain on the dyno didn't carry over to the track. Unfortunately Hans screwed up by changing the runner shape and path and in the process of finding that HP on the dyno they created a couple of eddy ( dead spots ) within the runner that when the bike isn't sitting static on the dyno and at speed caused a swirling to take place resulting in lost power over OEM design.. What Hans and the group he was working with failed to understand is Kawasaki designers aren't stupid and a lot of development went into those runner shapes and sizes.. Making the inlet larger was a winner and would have resulted in increased power in itself. Altering the runners gave back every gain they made sitting static on the dyno. Why do you think these were never popular with ANYONE? They aren't new and are quite well known about with all the original 12R builders. Why do I own one? Simple I fixed it by returning the runners to a more OEM shape and size. I made Hans aware of the problem they created and he quickly informed me that he had ZERO input on the design changes he only made the alterations and built the part he was ask to build he honestly didn't know anything other than what he was told when they called him and ask for another alteration. You can see the problem with it quite easily if you overlay your OEM scoop and tubes it will jump right out in your face. Think about it like an efficient port design verses a dead port that's been over ported and hogged out.. Yes the hogged out port will flow some volume but the velocity is lost. In this instance they caused laminar airflow to be altered into turbulent airflow resulting in a loss in filling capacity at speed... It takes some thought but it's all very solid engineering principles. One of the biggest gains is the thing is very light weight.

By the way Beautiful example of a 12R you got there Sir.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Along with Lust Racing rear links the raise the rear 1". The bike feels and handles so much quicker on the track.
Most people accomplish the by sliding the forks up through the clamps. By raising the rear you do the same thing which is decrease rake. The 12R already sits quite high at stock ride height you must have some long legs... Again beautiful bike

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
By raising the rear, cornering clearance is also slightly increased.
Not that clearance is a problem on a 12. The trade-off is a slightly higher COG, which makes the bike wheelie a bit quicker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Slingshot

Thanks for the info on the ram air duct. I can only go on what he told me on the phone a year and a half ago before I purchased it. But what bothers me now is when I talked with him, He said they did a lot of R&D work on the shape and many dyno runs to get the gains they were looking for. So why would he tell me they were getting as much as 6 - 8hp gains? Just wondering. As far as my ride height adjustment, I slid the forks up .375", lowering the front and rose the rear about 1". I find that it handles better in the twisties without hurting the high speed stability. I also found that the carbon wheels make the biggest difference. Oh, ya. I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

1201 - 1220 of 1575 Posts