Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I was wondering why the 9r was running strong but crackling a little on de-acceleration. In the old days it meant a lean condition in need of a rejet. I was wondering if perhaps the kleen air was still intact on this 2000 model. Took the tank off, the airbox, and there it lay. Some people say they notice no improvement with it gone ...others say they can feel an increase in the smoothness of the engine.
...I had kzscott rip it out of the 12r and it felt smoother. I took all the smog crap off my xr650 and again the engine ran a little better. So i am taking it out. If anything, it will make maintenance a little easier and clean up the top of the valve cover.
....I have one question. I have a short piece of copper pipe to go between the reed plates as read about on this forum. Im going to cap off the hole in the airbox with a bolt, washer and nut.I am "assuming" that instead of pulling out the small hose that goes from the top of the canister, and down to the #1 and #4 intakes...I can just pull off this hose from the canister and plug it with a bolt and leave the hose going to the #1 and #4 intakes intact? I see that some have used bolts to cap it off at the intake. I just want to leave that alone for now. Is this ok?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
cap the vac line

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cap the vac line
...Got her all back togeather. Started right up. Sounds better idling. Used a thick piece of half inch rubber for the bridge between the reed covers. I took this off the smog equipment off of my xr. It is just as thick as the rubber that is used on the reed plate elbows so i assume it is safe Scott??Couldnt take it out because the roads are wet. Revved it up to 4-5k in neutral and it feels smoother...seems to be a little more responsive.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
should be fine

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just to point out that having the Kleen air system fitted keeps the header pipes clean of carbon build up and one of the two exhaust ports.
So short term maybe good, but long term may not be, I'm not saying what you've done is wrong, just another advantage of leaving it fitted. Plus I like the popping from the exhaust on over run. :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to point out that having the Kleen air system fitted keeps the header pipes clean of carbon build up and one of the two exhaust ports.
So short term maybe good, but long term may not be, I'm not saying what you've done is wrong, just another advantage of leaving it fitted. Plus I like the popping from the exhaust on over run. :)
...I think the risk is very low for problems. A lot of people have taken the emissions crap off their bikes for years and log on a lot of trouble free miles. Myself, i want to eliminate "any" popping from the exhaust on de-acceleration. Im hopping to get the bike out for a rip today. Since the kleen crap is gone, if i hear any popping sound i will know the jetting is not spot on. I caped off the small vacumme tube at the top comming off the smog canister as opposed to down at the the #1 and #4 carb intakes so that if needed i can put the kleen system back on easily and quickly.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
What year zx9? Carb or fi? My 12 still has the kleen and it popped and farted like crazy with full muzzy and stock otherwise...

Did tps mod. Bike doesnt pop or fart on decel at all...

I kinda miss it... it was so bad it was good.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year zx9? Carb or fi? My 12 still has the kleen and it popped and farted like crazy with full muzzy and stock otherwise...

Did tps mod. Bike doesnt pop or fart on decel at all...

I kinda miss it... it was so bad it was good.
...2000 9r carburated. Yeah it sounded ok backfiring on decel, but i wanted to find out if it was running on the lean side or if it was the kleen system. The kleen is gone and so is the backfiring. I had my fun on the 12r for 4 years and wasnt really expecting much going to a 9r. I bought it because it was cheap, i had the bike fever, and i wanted something to cruise around on. I was a little taken back by its performance. Its still a blast twisting the throttle.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Wherever you got this from, throw it out or don't listen to that person anymore.

The Kleen-Air injects airbox air AFT of the valves right before the exhaust goes down the head tube. It has nothing with keeping your valves clean or header pipe free from carbon.

It's purpose is to burn unspent fuel leaving the head before it hits the catalytic convertor and shortens the cat's life. That's all it is - an emissions device.

If you like the backfiring more power to you, I find it annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts