Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How close are we to a turbo kit for the 12 ? Anyone know what they are experimenting with, Holset, Garrett, other ? Housing sizes, you will need to keep it small for low lag, maybe a 9cm Holset would work ? If it would, there are a ton of slighlty used 9cm Holsets available from CTD Auto owners that have upgraded. What about boost psi's, what are they seeing or expecting to see ? Wastegated or fixed ?

More curious than anything else right now after I read the article in the Sport Rider mag. on the Busa with a turbo.

I know a fair amount about turbos with the diesel motors, nothing about using them on gassers.

Scott W.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD making 450 RWHP on #2 alone. 2002 blue ZX-12R, stock, but not for long. I am my own warranty station. </p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub56.ezboard.com/bkawasakizx12r.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=bigsaint>Bigsaint</A> at: 8/30/02 10:00:53 pm

·
Registered
594 Posts
There are a few turbo kits available now I believe.

They are all about $6000.00 USD plus installation usually another $2500.00 that will buy a lot of nitrous bahahaha.

I think Muzzy has it ready and NLR has theirs ready, I think Frank Adams on phscobusa has details on them 250 hp is the street kit as far as I understand no one has one that I know of besides the big Ricky Gadson. I think you also have to upgrade the electronics but I'm not positive depends on who's kit you buy.

I will be looking into Dr Turbo here in Canada next week for some info because I was looking at it myself sponsors may pick up the tab so I should know more next week.

Hope that helps more info to follow soon.

Dr. Turbo's web page is below if you want to look or call.

www.drturbo.com check it out I don't know if has for the 12 yet I hope not that will help me bahahaha.

</p>

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks King. At that price tag, my 12 won't be seeing a turbo for a long while. No I see why you run NOS.

Scott W.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD making 450 RWHP on #2 alone. 2002 blue ZX-12R, stock, but not for long. I am my own warranty station. </p>

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nitrous is a cheap alternative that is there when you want it so the bike is stock without which makes life much nicer than trying to control a monster.

Eventually you will spend that much on refills but it is not a big of a hit a little at a time most of can afford.

I wish I was a millionaire there would be a lot of fast 12s around if I had my own shop and resourses to play.

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Do not buy a turbo from MR. TURBO. Here is why; Your kit comes incomplete and with parts from other kits. The parts you do receive require you own a machine shop to fit. You receive no written guide at least true for the 12 r, when you call and get the privilege of speaking to the esteemed terry kiser the second time you are immediately referred to his friends at orient express who tell you to bring it in, bring money, top of engine work 1000.00 to dismantle. My problem a white, fuel or other vapor, and oil being discharged from crankcase breather hose. Terries solution get long hose from home depot and attach to breather hose and divert discharge to area other then tire. I guess that solves the problem. Any thoughts? Kit Cost-5000.00 Paid in full 4/29/02 Received kit 08/14/02 Advertized time needed to assemble "saturday afternoon with half a tool box" that is a quote from his web site. Actual time 48 hrs. straight on the bike. End result overheating, feel power only when turbo is spooled, Discharge rom breather hose white and smells like fuel with lots of oil. Possible cause pre detonation, running 116 octane cam2 1:1 with 93 octane. Mapping provided by Mr. Turbo. ???????????

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Pamkn,I have heard that before from Mr. turbo customers but i believe Wayne is talking about Dr. Turbo.

Personally I'm thinking about mc express or velocity or nlr turbo system and would only purchase through Velocity or NLR as there customer support is said to be the best and as you know with a turbo,customer support is everything.(and they both have run 1/4 mile passes in the 7s now.)Also Muzzys only has a race kit that is over $7000 other kits sell around $5400

</p>

·
Registered
594 Posts
Holy cow pamkn sounds like you needed a little more research before you hit that adventure. Unfortunatlely at that time you ordered yours the kits were and still are a little experimental, in my personal opinion I would likely only go with NLR because thay have it available and will stand behind it. This has been brought up on many of the 12 sites and they actually have a couple 12's at the events that are always running and more then happy to talk about it with you at the track.

My decision to go with Dr Turbo is that he is 30 minutes from my house and my other sponsors know him personally. Mr Turbo I believe is in the US not exactly sure where did you ever get the system working properly? Let me know I'm sure we can find someone to help you out without spending any more money hopefully. email at home if you wish or here whatever you prefer. Talk to you later.

cowboy you have mail

bigsaint you have mail too

</p>

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good info, sorry to hear the crap you are going through though. I've decided to put the idea of turbo on the back burner for awhile, due to cost. I'm leaning towards one of King's dry N20 kits, thinking that it would be the best of both worlds. Good normal driveability for day to day use with the choice of more ponies at your finger tip.

Scott W.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD making 450 RWHP on #2 alone. 2002 blue ZX-12R, stock, but not for long. I am my own warranty station. </p>

·
Registered
594 Posts
Recieved this from I assume Mr. Turbo, from what I see I will never reccomend or buy from Mr. Turbo this must be the customer service that Pamkn was talking about. It's no wonder why there is hard feelings between the two I have never met him and already don't like him, you would think from the comments below he is 16 years old but that is just my impression he never emailed back so I don't know for sure.

You do not have enough information or talent to say why or why not buy a Mr. Turbo.
"PAMKN Speaking" Here is why; your kit comes incomplete and with parts from other kits.
Not really you need to know how to assemble them.
"PAMKN Speaking" The parts you do receive require you own a machine shop to fit.
No machine shop required but some talent is needed.
"PAMKN Speaking" You receive no written guide at least true for the 12 r,
Well ya this was an R&D kit DHAAAA!
Okay here is where you need half a brain to put together a mechanically sound R&D Kit yes I said R&D that mean research and development. Not a bolt on average every day joe kit. If that is what you are looking for than go get yourself a slip on exhaust, I here D&D has a good one.
"PAMKN Speaking" My problem a white, fuel or other vapor, and oil being discharged from crankcase breather hose.
Your problem is to much boost on 93 1:1 mix 116 cam 2 (all turbo's require 116 only over 8 psi boost) you right your problem. Know how to fuel a turbo bike. No fuel mixing required. Obviously you did not listen to turbo 101 (not included in kit).
"PAMKN Speaking" Terrie's, solution get long hose from home depot and attach to breather hose and divert discharge to area other then tire.
I am sure with the attitude you had when you called he should have told you to put the hose somewhere ells.
"PAMKN Speaking" I guess that solves the problem. Any thoughts?
Sure understand the simple mechanics of how to install a Turbo and not just the Mr. kind.
"PAMKN Speaking" Kit Cost-5000.00 Paid in full 4/29/02 Received kit 08/14/02
Yes big bucks I received the first kit shipped for the ZX12R.
"PAMKN Speaking" Advertised time needed to assemble "Saturday afternoon with half a tool box" that is a quote from his web site.
This kit was not advertised and still is not. "True" but I installed my kit in less than 12 hours and raced it the next day. (Pulled good times I might add)
"PAMKN Speaking" Actual time 48 hrs. straight on the bike. End result overheating, feel power only when turbo is spooled, Discharge from breather hose white and smells like fuel with lots of oil.
Yes and now you have no pistons and rings left. This is not a mapping issue. My kit came with 200 HP map and pulled 226.5 on pump gas (got the dyno chart to prove it) and pulled 279.8 on 116 fuel at 18 PSI. boost.
"PAMKN Speaking" Possible cause pre detonation, running 116-octane cam2 1:1 with 93 octane. Mapping provided by Mr. Turbo. ???????????
You put the wrong fuel in. No mixing required. Have any questions feel free to ask. I will try to help where I can.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
King, they sent the same reply to me with a request to post it here. I replied back to their email that they needed to fight their own battles. How freaking hard would have it been for one of them to join the site and post an intelligent reply ? I agree with you on the first impressions.

Scott W.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Unfortunately for them they only hurt themselves, never was a fan and likely never will be now for them anyway. I would expect a little more intelligent conversation, name calling and bashing they must have thought they wre on another site I guess.
Customer relations are the key to anything in this life work or relationships maybee they will figure it out before it is too late but I would not hold my breath. Had an infection and ended up back in the hospital for a couple days but I'm feeling much better now I should your stuff out to you mon or tues sorry for the delay.

Wayne

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Good to hear you are feeling better, I didn't know you were sick.

While you are sending out kits ........ :wink: :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts