Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating two ZX12Rs about 1000 - 1200 miles away, and want to ride the bike back, probably over a Sunday, maybe Saturday / Sunday.

Firstly, how easy is it to get at the battery to fit an electric suit cord and V1? Do I need any tools not in the standard toolkit?

Secondly, what is a reasonably good daily distance on a stock ZX12, assuming I do a substantial number of freeway miles? These are '02 models, which supposedly have a more aggressive riding position.

I have done 1200 mile days before, on my 88/01 Concours. But these were both kitted with substantial screens / fairings and other good LD stuff like Throttlemeisters, Russell saddle and so on.
I haven't been any distance on anything more aggressive than a Yammie FJ11 before, but the ZX seemed to be pretty comfy at around 75 - 80 mph when I tested one last week.
The saddle seemed pretty good as well, as more weight was on my hands and feet, and less on my butt.

Given that I am on the upper side of the ZX average (age 48, reasonable but not great shape, 6'2", 32" inseam, 205lb), is it a major PITA to lay down a thousand mile day on a bog-standard machine?
I have the all necessary riding and cold weather gear, assuming it turns a bit cooler, as I currently commute 250 miles a day in most weather conditions (down to about 20F) on the Connie.

I was considering doing a Heli install on the machine before riding off, but they are out of stock right now.

Any suggestions welcome.

Will be a good test to see how the ZX is going to make out as a power commuter/tourer/weekend machine :evil:

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Hey TonyTiger... where abouts you from?? I am in central New Hampshire, in Enfield.
As far as the battery goes...some guys have had a tough time getting to the terminals. I had mine out and slid the tray back in with no probs, but I didn't disrupt things much either. I just had to get to the ground. Taking it out is easy...10mm wrench/socket if I remember right. The problems is putting the tray back in as things are packed quite tightly.

The distance part of the 12 varies rider to rider but I think it'safe to assume a 500 mile day would be average. My personal best was 530 and I was fatigued. With Heli bars and a corbin seat, I don't see why 700 couldn't be had. Gas stops are freequent on the 12 and I would utilize those gas stops to stretch a liuttle and loosen up.

Good luck man, and hope ya get one of those beast. Where abouts is your roudevous spot?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If it's stock I would say drive to it and when you get there go to uhaul and rent a one way trailer. That stock seat will do some damage on the arse over a long distance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've done 700 miles in a day on a stock ZX-12, and 1000+ on my old ZRX1100. I've got to say the ZX12 is a better machine for long distance work, as the weight is spread more between arms and butt.

Mt first few rides on the ZX12 were tough on the wrists, so if you haven't been riding a sportier bike recentl, your wrists may be the limiting factor. Highway speeds will help, as they take some of the weight off your arms.

As for getting to the battery, it's not hard, but I think there are 14 fasteners to remove before you can access the terminals.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input: to me the saddle ZX saddle felt better than my GS seat (all weight on my butt) or the old K100RS saddle, but I suppose I need to spend a bunch more time on the bike before I can give any sort of judgement.

BAMmono:
I am in Moultonboro, NH. Normally just float around the northern Lakes on the weekend. Commute I-93 during the week pretty often, when I am not coming inn to Boston from Rhode Island.

Used to occasionally do the Whites with a group of guys on my GS, which is very competitive on the twistier, bumpy stuff.

Local bike hang out (kind-of) is the Bad Moose Cafe on Route 25 in Moultonboro. The owners used to run Ducatis before they divorced, so they picked up a lot of the non-Harley crowd. I think the ex-wife (current owner) still runs an ST2, but mostly it's a local and American twin hangout now.

Right now I am stuck on a Connie (doing Concours Group rides, we have quite a few rides every season), as I have sold the GS in anticipation of getting a ZX. The Concours Owners Group is not bike specific, at our 'Spring Fling' this year there were guys on Wangs, XXs, VFRs and ZZR12s, as well as the various odds and sods like Triumph and so on.

I was planning to take a ZZR / ZX to the COG Fall Foliage run in the Catskills this weekend, but it looks like I will be delivering the GS to its new owner instead.
Here in NH the group are mostly fairly conservative riders (a lot are two-up), although some folks run a second bike. Gamut runs from ZX9R, through SV650, to KLR650s.

·
Registered
468 Posts
a couple weeks ago i actually rode about 1500km (just under 1000 miles) in one day on the zx12...man, what a mistake that was...i had the sorest bum, sorest feet (bottom of feet), sorest thighs, sorest wrists and hands...man, be very careful about it as it's a bike...not even the most comfortable bike is as comfy as sitting back and relaxing in a car :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on the road, car and the bike.

Comparing my Miata and Concours (fitted out with Russell, genmars, tall
shield, fairing extenders and wings, kitted for electric suit and gloves), I can do just as much mileage on the Conc. Tankrange is almost 300 miles on the Conc, just over on the Miata. Plus I get less frustrated on the bike when traffic gets a bit heavy.

I use the Conc to commute to Boston from central / north NH in summer, the Miata in winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts