Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I've done my search. read through what came up. Could't really find a number cast in stone for cutting the side stand. Plan on running it in the middle hole at first. Give me some numbers and I'll make a calculated guess. Sounds like theres a problem with a bolt and muffler. Some take the muffler off, another said he just took the whole linkage off. I know I've read on this forum that it will come out, but very tight. :idea: :idea:

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
It can be done without removing the whole exhaust system... I had to take the triangler shaped suspension braket loose though... When Putting it back together run the bolt the oppisite way it came out for easier swap next time....

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Make sure you have help holding the bike this was somewhat a pain in the ass...

·
Registered
412 Posts
While the bike is on the track stand, run a tie down strap from the rafters in your garage to the sub frame(seats off) this will help unload the weight on the shock. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nedragr, I just seen a post of yours on the front wheel, :lol: guess you already know bout the rafters :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately, I'll be able to use the bike shop for all this. It'll cost me a pizza and maybe some heckling from the bystanders. Should have more than enough help to figure it out.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I cut one inch from my sidestand. Currently in the center hole of
Spencers 02 links. I am thinking about raising it back to the first hole due to dragging the pegs in the twisties. I don't like that too much :wink:

The best tip I can give you is, the bottom bolt of the dogbones has a spacer which runs through the mounting hole. This spacer can be removed, which will allow you to move the bolt around and get it out with minimal exhaust loosening.

If I had known this when I changed mine I would not have cussed nearly as much :p

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I took about an inch out of the sidestand also..... And I also drug a peg once...... Wait let me think........

No it wasn't a peg..... It was a floorboard and was on my Harley...... Well I cut an inch out of the sidestand forget the draggin peg thing for me....

·
Registered
62 Posts
here's what the service manual says:

remove lower fairings
remove side stand mounting bracket
raise the rear wheel off the ground
remove upper tie-rod bolt
remove lower rear shock absorber bolt
remove lower tie-rod nut
remove rocker arm nut
remove the muffler body mounting bolt
remove the rocker arm bolt by pushing down the muffler
pull out the lower tie-rod bolt from the rocker arm

·
Registered
62 Posts
when you guys are saying you cut a inch off of the side stand are you cutting it off out of the middle and welding it back together or just cutting off the bottom. If off the bottom what are you doing to replace the pad at the bottom :?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cut the inch of of the stand inbetween the spring mount and pad of the stand and then just weld the bottom pad back on.

or you could purchase a adjustable stand from us and make this real simple.

http://prosites-spencercycle.homestead.com/zx12kickstand.html

Thanks
Doug
SpencerCycle.com
1-800-510-1945

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey doug, thanks for the info. I saw this on your website but it said it was for a busa - didn't know you had it for 12 also. I will be calling you tomorrow for one. can your get them in black?

·
Registered
316 Posts
We do not have them in black, only CNC Aluminum.
JUST a NOTE. you can purchase the stand over our website and this would save you a call and time. It still would ship out same day.

The stands are listed on the mainpage of the online catalogt under"CNC Billet Alum Kickstands" We have them for many different bikes.

Thanks
Doug
SpencerCycle.com
1-800-510-1945

1 - 13 of 13 Posts