Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A few years ago the frenzy of expectation began. The new ZX14R.
Some great artist impressions came out of a beautiful looking "Fat ZX10R style" bike.
The engineers came through with a fantastic product that lived up to the expectations. The designers choked, and just went with the same old thing adding a few fins and piss taking silencers.
I believe that there could be a great power plant in the making. But, having been so bitterly disappointed with the look/style of the ZX14R, I am going to assume any new Kawasaki Hyperbike will look even more like a butt ugly Busa until I see it released. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
A few years ago the frenzy of expectation began. The new ZX14R.
Some great artist impressions came out of a beautiful looking "Fat ZX10R style" bike.
The engineers came through with a fantastic product that lived up to the expectations. The designers choked, and just went with the same old thing adding a few fins and piss taking silencers.
I believe that there could be a great power plant in the making. But, having been so bitterly disappointed with the look/style of the ZX14R, I am going to assume any new Kawasaki Hyperbike will look even more like a butt ugly Busa until I see it released. :banghead:
Man, you just can't stay out of the 14R threads, with the negative comments, lol..

Old article. Kaw recently showed a supercharged inline-4 motorcycle engine, though:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/630/17479/Motorcycle-Article/Kawasaki-Supercharged-Inline-Four-at-Tokyo.aspx

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Man, you just can't stay out of the 14R threads, with the negative comments, lol..
If that's how you feel, you don't need to sweeten it by sticking LOL on the end! :thumbup:
This thread began with ZX15 in the title which interested me and led me to stray into your 14R section. When I click on a title in the top right corner, I have no idea what section the thread is in.
I INCORRECTLY assumed that the picture in the ZX15 article was linked to the ZX15 suggestions. Having re-read it, the picture is there just because they're talking about 1000cc performance catching up with hyperbikes.
My comments were supposed to be concerns about the dangers of believing speculation rather than HATING on ZX14Rs.
I've never been negative about the engineering. :thumbup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
If they'd put the 14R engine in a ZX12R type package, I would have a hard time not buying one.
Absolutely!!

I currently have both.

Love the 14 power

Love the 12 looks

I dont remember ANYONE liking the looks of the 14 when it came out.

How hard would it have been ? Just clean up the fenders a little & dont form the body around the STOCK PIPES THAT EVERYONE WILL THROW AWAY!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
You know that 'ZX15' article is 2 years old.....

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Every time there is a mention of a 14 or 14R, a few rabid 12R enthusiasts chime in about how they don't like the looks. I find it amusing. The 14R threads around here get more posts from those disgruntled 12R owners than they do 14R owners. :lol:

The reason the 14/14R are set up the way they are is that the motorcycles sell. Unlike the 12R. Now, any 12R owner is free to wedge a 14R motor in their bike, and I would love to see it. In fact, I have considered it. But 14R motors are really drawing a premium right now. Or, mating 12R bodywork with a 14/14R chassis would accomplish about the same thing. The chassis setups are very similar.

Either would make for an awesome project though, for sure. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Oh come on, The ZX14R is an awesome engineering package that sells despite it's aesthetics not because of. They are pushing to sell them hard around here as they don't sell. 1 in 3 bikes in the UK this year was a Ninja1000. A sports bike! Not a race rep and not a ZX14R.
A lot of the 12R contributors on here are enthusiasts, calling them/us rabid is a bit daft. This started with an article about a ZX15. IT has merely been suggested that a modern hyper bike engine in a bike more styled towards a sports bike would appeal.
Maybe we aren't happy to settle for a great bike. Maybe we are holding out for THE great bike.

It amuses me that I amuse you. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
Every time there is a mention of a 14 or 14R, a few rabid 12R enthusiasts chime in about how they don't like the looks. I find it amusing. The 14R threads around here get more posts from those disgruntled 12R owners than they do 14R owners. :lol:

The reason the 14/14R are set up the way they are is that the motorcycles sell. Unlike the 12R. Now, any 12R owner is free to wedge a 14R motor in their bike, and I would love to see it. In fact, I have considered it. But 14R motors are really drawing a premium right now. Or, mating 12R bodywork with a 14/14R chassis would accomplish about the same thing. The chassis setups are very similar.

Either would make for an awesome project though, for sure. :thumbup:
Just expressing my opinion, Shane.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Oh come on, The ZX14R is an awesome engineering package that sells despite it's aesthetics not because of. They are pushing to sell them hard around here as they don't sell. 1 in 3 bikes in the UK this year was a Ninja1000. A sports bike! Not a race rep and not a ZX14R.
A lot of the 12R contributors on here are enthusiasts, calling them/us rabid is a bit daft. This started with an article about a ZX15. IT has merely been suggested that a modern hyper bike engine in a bike more styled towards a sports bike would appeal.
Maybe we aren't happy to settle for a great bike. Maybe we are holding out for THE great bike.

It amuses me that I amuse you. :rotflmao:
Imo, the 14R looks better than the outdated 12R. So what does that mean? It means that your opinion is just that...your opinion.

Rabid 12R guys, getting butt-hurt about the 14R. Even after I suggest just changing the bodywork would be a great project....rich.

Reality is...the 14R is the Busa-beater that the 12R never was. Even if you don't like the way it looks, it sells....and it performs. The meanest Kaw ever sold to the public...without question. And that is what drives sales. There are 600's that look better than the 12R...who cares about them?

The 12R made it's debut 14 years ago. It's time to move on.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
...If a 300 hp supercharged zx15 ever hits the streets you better snatch it up fast. Just as the " powers to be " put a crunch on top speed back in early 2000, i bet they would start putting a cap on horsepower too. I think the current zx14r's performance is here to stay for a few years give or take a few hp.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
For you guys, the 12R is the end. Ride it down. :thumbup:
still king:king:, dont see a reason to change yet. maybe the next gen 14 or 15 will change my mind:puzzled:

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you like the looks of a 12 but want 14r power just build the 12. But keep in mind that you can buy a used first gen 14 for what it will cost to build a 12 to run with a 14r. It wont stop or handle like a new 14r either. Just something to think about. Redsled
P.S A max effort street 12 is a scary motherfing ride.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
If you like the looks of a 12 but want 14r power just build the 12. But keep in mind that you can buy a used first gen 14 for what it will cost to build a 12 to run with a 14r. It wont stop or handle like a new 14r either. Just something to think about. Redsled
P.S A max effort street 12 is a scary motherfing ride.
very good points made here imo

1 - 20 of 71 Posts