Kawasaki World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that one of my headlights is out and that I'm down to 1 now.

I was just wondering if there were any recommendations for direct-replaceable mega-bright alternatives?

For me, it's not so much about visibility (I rarely travel in the dark), it's all about safety and cagers seeing you in their rear-view mirror. So if I can put in brighter globes then great.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
stub, I don't know the laws over there, but say that might be too bright for the on coming driver and you'll be hit with a flash of high beams telling you to turn them off. If you ran the lower [stock] wattage, do you see remaining compliant, be more defensive in the dark takes care of that idea?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
When I replaced mine a long time ago, I just purchased a slightly higher wattage from Advance auto then raised the beam up ever so slightly. I didn't think it was going to make a huge difference but it did. And it's not enough to bother on-coming cars. One think to keep in mind is that going with a wattage too high could burnout the light wiring in the fuse box. I remember some folks having this issue on the earlier 12's.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

I was thinking that it would be possible with new technologies to get more brightness for less wattage, hence blowing fuses in the electrical circuit wouldn't be an issue.

In the last 10 years there's been a load of new light technologies for the home that offer more brightness for less wattage, but I didn't know if any of that had made it into the automotive industry.

HIDs are one option, but my understanding at this stage is that it is not a drop in replacement - I think you have some additional wiring to do right? Plus, last time I looked it was quite an expensive option, but that was a few years ago now. Maybe there is a cheaper way of doing HIDs now?

I think I need to do some google research and report back with my findings.........

·
Registered
364 Posts
HIDs are cheaper than incandescent bulbs nowadays. Just figure out what bulb you need and get a slim ballast kit. Plug and play

·
Registered
679 Posts
Find Hi/Lo Hids Choose exactly as below

Wattage 55W (55W will not melt your housing or your wires!!! (Urban Myth!!!!)
Bulb Type H4 Hi/Lo
Bulb Color 4500K( Diamond White!! Brightest!! )( Don't be fooled the higher you go from here the light becomes more purple and brightness drops considerably!!!

Hi/Lo Hids have Shields on them to stop runaway light blinding on coming traffic do not remove them!!
True Hi/Lo Hids move in and out of the housing changing focus of the light!!! and come with a control box that plugs into one of your original halogen connectors
Cheap Hi/Lo have either 1 halogen bulb attached to the hid light or another non moving solution (You do not want anything light that!!!)

My Hids are the same as descibed and DO NOT BLIND ON COMING TRAFFIC!!! i rarely get flashed and i will never go back to stock lights!!!

I have had no issues at all as far as quality and life still going strong after 3 years!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
DDM tuning sells the same stuff as ebay except marks them up, drop shipped from overseas. Don't put 55 watt kits in your bike you'll probably melt the housing. I run 35s on my car and 55s on my truck and have always run 35s on the bikes.
The 43-45k color is the brightest most usable light as well

·
Registered
679 Posts
DDM tuning sells the same stuff as ebay except marks them up, drop shipped from overseas. Don't put 55 watt kits in your bike you'll probably melt the housing. I run 35s on my car and 55s on my truck and have always run 35s on the bikes.
The 43-45k color is the brightest most usable light as well
for the record 55W did not melt my housing !!! and shows no signs either i just think your confused with regular halogen bulbs with 100w output those will melt your housing and your wires too

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm a dealer for DDM and haven't sold anymore of their kits once they started arriving China post. Once upon a time they had great stuff... Those days are gone. You must likely have one of their good kits before they switched to the China stuff.
If I recall correctly, one of our hid suppliers did say they would overheat Motorcycle headlight housings, but in all actuality the 12r housing isn't any smaller than some cars.
I'm glad you did mention the 55 will run fine in the 12r housing. I'll run them instead of the 35s

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm a dealer for DDM and haven't sold anymore of their kits once they started arriving China post. Once upon a time they had great stuff... Those days are gone. You must likely have one of their good kits before they switched to the China stuff.
If I recall correctly, one of our hid suppliers did say they would overheat Motorcycle headlight housings, but in all actuality the 12r housing isn't any smaller than some cars.
I'm glad you did mention the 55 will run fine in the 12r housing. I'll run them instead of the 35s
That's a bummer i did not know anything about them changing suppliers
maybe you can point someone to a comparable quality 55W Hi/Lo Set now i have to edit my post above lol

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the Chinese DDM low beams. 35 watt, slim ballast. I've got 22,000 miles on them and they work fine. $25 per bulb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts