Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok alarms playing up

symptoms

since taking the main battery off to trickle charge, the alarm key fob will not turn the alarm off unless i put the key in the ignition and turn it on,and then only after five mins maybe will the fob work.

i changed the key fob battery its still playing doing it.even tried the spare fob and that does the same.

can it be the alarms internal battery? if so how do i change it or can i change it?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
What does "I Ride: kawasaki zx12r b series 03 reg sky blue" mean? B3? if so then this has the kawasaki immobilizer built in yes? if this is the case then it should not be wired in to immobilize the bike as it could interfere with the kawasaki one. Probably best to remove it completely. I had to do this with mine last year when it started playing up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no built in mobiliser no. and i dont want to remove my alarm and have to bridge wires.especially if its just a case of changing a battery somewhere

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Is this of any help to you, some of the replies may help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi matt,

sounds like the battery on your bike is maybe a little weak to support the meta alarm,
when the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage (and if the alarm is of the battery back up type), the siren will sound, and you will find it difficult to turn the alarm off with the fob, as there is only enough power to sound the alarm and not to sound the alarm and operate the sensor pick up side of things to pick up the signal from the fob.(this is just one scenario)

i have seen it also when you have put the battery on charge (battery is ok your only topping it up(sort to speak)) after you take the charger off sometimes the alarm fobs don't respond as they should this is due to a slight decrease in power (only slight) as the charger has been removed and not giving the battery and the alarm that little bit extra power, which causes the alarm fobs to loose the frequency sync to the alarm box,(due to a power imbalance ie instead of a constant say 12v it has been boosted up to say 13.5v on charge(which the alarm is not used to (best way i can explain it); all it would be a case of doing would be to re-sync both alarm fobs as per instructions, don't (unless you only have one fobs) just re-sync the one fob re-sync both fobs.

failing the above put a multimeter between the earth on the battery and earth lead and see how much current is being drawn through the system, and check with the alarm's fault finding flow chart for any abnormalities and check to see if any bad earths, snapped(make or break wires etc.

or failing that, you have connected the charger to the battery whilst everything is still connected it could be possible that you may have damaged the alarm unit itself.

also if you have change the alarm fobs battery's you only have a few seconds to on some to change the batteries before it looses sync with alarm box, some don't have this back up at all ie you remove batteries and replace and you have to re-sync regardless.

with regards to the battery back up in the alarm as far as im aware you have to send them away to be repaired, i haven't seen nor heard of anyone being able to replace the back up battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
awesome that sounds like its on the money,now just how do i re sync the alarm key fobs,i did have them apart for ages as i had to go and get the batterys once i had taken the fobs apart?.....the fob i have is the round black one its quite old just one button i the middle its looks like a oreo cookie

·
Registered
132 Posts
To re-sync the alarm fobs(after replacing batteries, and checking and cleaning battery terminal contacts, so there is no corrosion, or battery acid (as this can create problems too) ie (with the normal operation of the fob),

The sequence to how many presses and hold's of the fob button and/or turning the ignition on off was found in the users manual, which should of been given to you (obviously for various reasons you may not have the manual).

Therefore it will be a case of going on to the meta website and or contacting them by phone to send some instructions of how to re-sync the fob's, or ask if they have all the relevant manuals associated with your make/model alarm. you will have to ascertain the make and model of your alarm before you make contact with them if you don't already know this information. (they may charge you a small fee for this information, and for obvious reasons they may ask for proof you own the vehicle before divulging certain information for theft purposes etc(just similar to when you buy new number plates you have to produce log book insurance etc(not saying they will but just to give you a heads up in cases they do to have your documents at the ready so to speak).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out meta alarms like the m357t just die after ten years,
my battery was fine the fob was fine just the alarm was kapput,now i have the costly adventure of either finding someone to bridge it.or a new alarm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts