Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soon to change my 207 to a new tyre for the first time (still running the stock one - 6,500km later)...what is the better tyre for mileage out of the above three?

of course, if any of the above tyres are "crap" then i'm not interested...basically i want a reasonable "all-rounder" tyre that has the best possible mileage...what do people THINK?

thanks! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Blue, I can't comment on the 010 or the pirelli as I haven't run
either of them but I went from the original 207 to the michelin pilot
sport HPX (190) and the difference was immediate. I found the 207
had a habit of "walking" when on the gas in a sweeper.Never really
felt to confident on it . Pilots are the opposite,you can feel them gripping
the road and it turns qiucker too.
Confidence in your rubber means alot. Personally I've got no reason
to move away from michelin. My next rear may be a 180? :?:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, but what about mileage?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
010 has great wear. But it has no feed back from front tire. The Pirelli's are outstanding. in feedback and grip. The Pilot's I have not tryed yet. The Dunlop and 010 are pretty close, The 208 is a better tire than the 207, But the wear was the same.

I get 2000 mile's from rear's and 5000 from front, Of the 207 208 Pirelli's, The Bridgestone looked like a 3000-3500 mile tire on rear. Maybe cause I was afraid to push it hard.

Tire's are like bike's. Some like some tire's and other's don't.

So far the Pirelli Dragon's are the best tire I've had on. But they have no rain tread, If you ride in all weather Don't buy the Pirelli's, I'd lean toward's the pilot's from what I've heard from rider's that ride the same style and push it in the corner's.

Hope I did'nt confuse you. But alot of a picking a tire depend's on the type of road's, climate, and style of riding.

·
4,208 Posts
The Pilots are a wet dream ....great feedback great temps....and incredible wear ....good in the rain as well... .......they wear very evenly and I am over 4000 miles on mine and they still look good....my 207 only lasted 2400 miles.....I switched to the 190 .....180 is definitely next .....also thinking about trying the dragons next .........Don't know if i wanna mess with a great combo already ....Brian

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
every bike seems to

come with dunlops and i can't get them off fast enough.Pilots are the only tire i will run ,i love em and a decent deal at discount motorcycle tire for 380.00$ if you buy two rears and a front

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
My rear BT 010 200/50ZR 17 lasted 4600 miles before showing cords. The stock Dunlop lasted 7900 before showing cords on the left side. I have Michelin Pilot Sport Race tires on it now w/ 180/55 ZR17 I don't have a couple of hundred miles on them yet. I like the way the bike feels with them though. :D Definately feels lighter on its feet.

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah,sorry about that Blue. I got 6500k on the 207 and so far about
5000 k with another 500~1000k left on the pilot.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
psycho12r said:
Hey Blitzkrieg can you tell me if they make a pilot sport HPX in a 180?
:?:
They do. Note correction below. X does NOT stand for extended wear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Outlaw said:
So far the Pirelli Dragon's are the best tire I've had on. But they have no rain tread, If you ride in all weather Don't buy the Pirelli's, I'd lean toward's the pilot's from what I've heard from rider's that ride the same style and push it in the corner's.

Outlaw,
What type of Dragon's do you run on your 12 :?:
I checked the Pirelli web site and they have several compounds, tread patterns, Supersport or Street Racing?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Happycamper I run Dragon SuperCorsia's Medium Soft race compound. Race Takeoff's

·
Registered
190 Posts
blitzkrieg said:
psycho12r said:
Hey Blitzkrieg can you tell me if they make a pilot sport HPX in a 180?
:?:
They do. But I'm gonna steer you away from that.

I don't feel that the HPX belongs on the 12. A highway cruiser yes, the 12, no. (As you know the "X" is extended wear).
The Pilot Sport HPX is specially made for the Busa and ZX12R: made for bikes doing more than 300kmh. HPX stands for HorsePower Extreme :D
I'm using them, but cannot say much about wear. I've punctured one after 4000km, with still enough thread left for at least another 1000km...

See: http://www.michelin.co.uk/moto/sportbikes.html

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
You are correct Jereon, I had picked up somewhere along the way that the X stands for eXtended wear, and that they were a dual compound tire.

Here is their webpage blurb:

Extreme tire for extreme bikes

• Evolved from the Pilot Sport, but specifically designed for hypersport bikes like the Suzuki Hayabusa, Kawasaki ZX-12 and Honda CBR 11100XX.

• Engineered with a particular emphasis on high-speed stability, The rear Pilot Sport HPX has been certified by European authorities for speeds up to 200 mph* (320 km/h).

• Special tread compound developed for sustained high speeds.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Would you guys recomend going with the 190 rear? I am looking at a set of 190/50ZR-17 and 120/70ZR-17 Metzeler Sportec M1 for my ZX9R and wanted to see your thoughts on it.
Tom

·
Registered
46 Posts
Make sure if you get the Pilots to get the Sport HPX. I have the regular Sport and wear is a little excessive!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts