Kawasaki World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, im new to the forum so i thought i might as well start with a small intro. Im Jake, ride a '00 zx12r & '00 zr7 have to sell the 7 soon tho =( sad times..

ive had the 12 for a while now & find it to be a great bike, the bloke who owned it before me put a set of cams in her & i put a yoshi pipe on & things couldnt be happier until recently it started running hotter.. nothing bad but even on a mild night in traffic or after a few sets of red lights the guage goes up to about 3/4 & the fans come on.. it hasnt overheated (yet) but i dont think it should be this hot & with our summer coming up im a little worried.. first thing on my list is a new radiator cap this week. any other ideas?

the main concern right now tho is a grinding sound from the clutch on hard downshifts. the clutch isnt slipping & chain is adjusted fine.. it doesnt seem to happen all the time either. has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
449 Posts
As for the overheating, I would throw another thermostat in there, they are cheap but heard kinda a pain to replace (not sure, havent replaced mine) but on the other hand my 12 will heat up pretty good if I aint in constant moving or out on the highway, alot people will agree the 12 just runs a little hot.

The clutch noise, I had a or thought I had a clutch problem like that just a few weeks ago, but after I got her in the garage and inspected my clutch found nothing so got it back together and still had the noise so I listened a little more closely and found the noise coming from my stator. The bolts holding the stator to the cover came loose (just replaced that this summer) and was causing my "clutch" noise problem, maybe check into that---just sayin!! But I only heard the noise when I had the clutch lever in and coming to a stop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i ride an 02 zx12 and mine also runs hot if im driving in the city or in traffic but cools down rather quick when i hit the highway.

·
Registered
800 Posts
12r's just get hot no prob fit a remote fan switch if you feel you need it (most do)

ps also check or replace the coolant as it may be old

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hey all, im new to the forum so i thought i might as well start with a small intro. Im Jake, ride a '00 zx12r & '00 zr7 have to sell the 7 soon tho =( sad times..

ive had the 12 for a while now & find it to be a great bike, the bloke who owned it before me put a set of cams in her & i put a yoshi pipe on & things couldnt be happier until recently it started running hotter.. nothing bad but even on a mild night in traffic or after a few sets of red lights the guage goes up to about 3/4 & the fans come on.. it hasnt overheated (yet) but i dont think it should be this hot & with our summer coming up im a little worried.. first thing on my list is a new radiator cap this week. any other ideas?

the main concern right now tho is a grinding sound from the clutch on hard downshifts. the clutch isnt slipping & chain is adjusted fine.. it doesnt seem to happen all the time either. has anyone else had this?
hi Jake it could be your thermofan switch+ don't run to much coolant.coolant makes a motor run hoter but its boiling point is higher my clutch made a noise once on me but didn't do it again check your oil level if over full:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts