Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone does anyone have or know where i can get a muzzsy steering damper fixing kit

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I've been looking for ages..
I emailed Muzzys and Dave said if we had 20 people that want one, he'd make a batch...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd be very interested to get a good conventional looking damper. I'm not getting rid of this bike anytime soon. It's handling so well now that I'm getting way too confident. I'm bound to get myself all crossed up sooner or later.

I'm not keen on the look of the Scotts ones that sit on the steering nut (not that I can find one here anyway) and I'm not happy with bolting a damper onto the ashtray.

I guess finding 20 of us may be a big ask. There's a lot of activity on the Facebook 12R pages. Maybe that could drum up a few more interested parties.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'd be very interested to get a good conventional looking damper. I'm not getting rid of this bike anytime soon. It's handling so well now that I'm getting way too confident. I'm bound to get myself all crossed up sooner or later.

I'm not keen on the look of the Scotts ones that sit on the steering nut (not that I can find one here anyway) and I'm not happy with bolting a damper onto the ashtray.

I guess finding 20 of us may be a big ask. There's a lot of activity on the Facebook 12R pages. Maybe that could drum up a few more interested parties.
I looked at other option Shep a few years back there really isn't much else apart from the 1 that bolts/replaces the ashtray which I don't think is a good idea, I looked at Sprint and a few others but since the 12 is old school chances of finding anyone interested in making 1 like a stock ohlims are remote :(.....you could always fit a couple of coil springs around the headstock ?....wouldn't look out of place on a green bike ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depending on price I could be interested. If they could hold it to the Scotts' price or less, I would be game.

I'm like Shep with so much money tied up in this thing, a few hundred more won't make much difference now.

KB

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Email from Dave (about a year ago now)

Sent: Wednesday, 8 May 2013 10:40 PM
To: SteveW
Subject: Re: ZX12 steering damper mount

Steven,
Part #MZSD-K12 Muzzy steering damper 2000-2001 year.
$669.95 each Qty.(20) or more.

Part #0022-00002 Muzzy steering damper 2002-2005 year.
$669.95 each Qty.(20) or more.

Order must be pre paid and build time 30 days.

This is the best I can do sir.

Dave Turner
Sales Representative
Muzzys Performance Products
541-385-0706 x106
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
That appears to be a min of 20 for A models and 20 for B models, not 20 combined..

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The last damper they supplied to DOA was made up of left overs and they charged him full whack for it !!! wrong spacers supplied along with different damper ? not good business practice at the end of the day, you wouldn't want a damper going wrong now would we :).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The last damper they supplied to DOA was made up of left overs and they charged him full whack for it !!! wrong spacers supplied along with different damper ? not good business practice at the end of the day, you wouldn't want a damper going wrong now would we :).
Any idea what the price would be for the muzzy?
Like Mauser said I got one by emailing Muzzy and asking for 1 they sent the kit for a single damper piston but the one they sent was a twin piston with an added bracket.
the problem with it is the height of the upside down "Y" bracket isn't high enough so I had to put a spacer ( nut ) to stop the damper bracket wearing out the yoke nut

after all this it does work well not had a tank slapper after fitting this:thumbup:

as for cost $700 inc postage to the uk £500 ish plus customs rip of charges

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ive got the same as DOA but run the Hyper Pro damper - its much better, I was getting the odd little slap every once in awhile with the ZX7 swing arm but now shes steady as a rock - Well worth it, If you can get hold of one they are rocking horse poo.

Bought mine off K9 second hand think it came to around £300.

If anyone could get one made up id put the dimensions up on here, but not just yet the bikes away at HM racing

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Can someone tell me what the steering dampener brackets bolt to?

This kit doesnt require drilling right? Ima fab something up to emulate it if someone could just show me a good picture...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Can someone tell me what the steering dampener brackets bolt to?

This kit doesnt require drilling right? Ima fab something up to emulate it if someone could just show me a good picture...
Why go though all that work, when you can just get a scotts? If you are worried about resale, you can always have a machine shop fill the hole later.

Much easier, and safer to go with something that is tested. Imagine your custom bracket failing, and locking up your steering...

I would only consider this if you really wanted to still have access to your steering stem area, but it seems this covers it up as well.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Really dont wanna drill, and i have access to used classic damoeners for cheap. Id love to get a setup rigged for an ohlins.. Etc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts