Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
START HERE:

I'm kind of avoiding the huge build thread this time around. I'm taking a more laid back approach with this bike, and I want it to be a fun street bike. I've started doing a few mods here and there.

Today I wanted to swap over to my set of BST wheels. I was also interested in the weight of the stock setup. I was only able to get as far as the rear wheel (uhhh...who requested the back spasms???).

But anyway, here is the weight of the stock assembly:

It does look like it lost a couple of pounds. Honestly, I am not sweating every comparitive ounce this time around. I am just concerned in the end results.

This is the weight of the 6.625 BST with Vortex sprocket and Galfer rotor, and Michelin Power One 190/50/17 tire:

So, about 10 lbs of savings on the wider rear wheel, including the lighter rotor and sprocket.

Mounted:

Over the next couple of days I will add some things to this thread here and there. Nothing too dramatic. I'll get the front wheel weighed and installed, and detail a few other mods. I really want to wrap this thread up by the end of the week. Then again, depending on response, it might go longer. At any rate, I want to spend more time riding and less time wrenching on the bike this time around. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spent so much time on my '07 that I can use a lot of what I learned when setting up this bike. I miss my '07 when it was set up like this:

This one might end up similar, but with some improvements and more street trim. While the above bike was roughly 450 lbs race-ready, it also had no headlight and only a single front brake.

Anyway, I am looking forward to it. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A tiny item, a Roaring Toyz gas cap:

Stuff like this brings small weight savings, around 8 oz. But every little bit adds up. I had a Vortex cap on my '07. It was really nice, but a screw-in cap. I figured I would try something different this time around. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few other mods that I also did to my '07:

A billet, adustable kickstand (this time in black), and lighter pegs with carbon fiber heel plates. These mods combine for around 1.5 lbs or so of weight savings. On my '07 I modified GSXR pegs to fit, but I had these nicer ones sitting here for a different project. I really like them, except when they hit my shins! :D

Note on the billet sidestands like the one pictured: You will want to remove the vinyl sleeve on the kickstand spring, otherwise it can get in the way of footshifting.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
]For completeness, here is the pipe I installed...

I took the time to weigh the parts coming off of the bike:

Both mufflers with peg hangers and hardware: 35 lbs
Stock header: 8.8 lbs

So, here is the weight savings that you can expect, as long as you don't mind losing your passenger pegs:

43.8 - 8.1 = 35.7 lbs

I covered this in another thread, but that just brings things up to date in the exhaust department. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ebay smoked turn signals and tailight, same as Gen 1 ZX-14 (thanks for that info, Wee!):

I took my old $20 fender eliminator from my '07. I will post a pic later. More weight savings. :thumbup

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Again, for completeness, here are a few other current mods:

A Guhl Motors reflashed ecu:

And I am experimenting with a 2011 ZX-10R Power Commander:

More info on those results here:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=65069&set_time=

Also, info on the CT pipe and resulting power increase here:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=65009&set_time=

Initial dyno test here:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=64943&set_time=

Also, a thread on my intial riding impressions here:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=64849&set_time=

And, what the heck, here is the history of the purchase:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=64763

Ok, now I think we are fully up-to-date. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to rest my back today, so I couldn't do too much. In fact, I had to get Racheal to give me a hand because I can't move very well. First thing I did was to ditch the mirrors:

I wouldn't mind finding something tiny for street use, but when you transport the bike to the dyno or track in a trailer, the mirrors really get in the way. I love the lines of the front fairing without those mirros sticking out.

Next up, I installed a set of Brock's Window Links. In my old build thread I tried many different types of links, and these were my favorites. They come in about 6 oz lighter than stock too. :)

After that I got together the misc parts that I have removed, and weighed them:

So far, this is how my weight savings add up:

Exhaust 35.7
Extra Stuff 5.8
Pegs/Stand/Gas Cap 2
BST Rear Wheel Swap 9.9
Lowering links .4

Total 53.8 lbs

Add a some back for the Power Commander, mirror plates, and tag bracket. So, I would say a solid 51 lbs of weight loss at this point. This was very easy, and I think the next 15 lbs shouldn't be too hard to achieve either, without really stripping the bike. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mounted the front BST today:

A whopping 6.9 lbs of weight savings! The BST has a Pilot Power 120/6017...which may be a few ounces lighter than a 120/70 model...either way, great weight savings and handling benefit from this mod. Wheelies could be an issue at the dragstrip, but ballast can take care of that. :)

I threw the panels on, just to take a look:

Not bad considering I havent lowered the front yet! I ordered some washers and longer bolts to adapt the Brock's radial strap kit. They should be here tomorrow. :thumbup:

So, about 58 lbs of weight loss so far. Battery swap should be coming soon...

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
awesome. looking great!

Any decision on your 12R? and what about your ZX14?
Nope, no thoughts on the 12R yet. My '07 1534 motor is in the frame, mostly ready to go. Hopefully I will get more time to work on it this winter. I am trying to reduce my projects, and have been selling quite a few things. I imagine I will be done modding the 14R fairly soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
From the looks of things, you shouldn't have to do very much to that 14R to make it a powerhouse on the street and strip....

Job permitting, I too will have one of these in my stable soon!:clap:...I go in for the interview today, and if all goes well, I'll be at the dealer after the first 4 checks!

Peer pressure is a bitch!...:crackup:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the looks of things, you shouldn't have to do very much to that 14R to make it a powerhouse on the street and strip....

Job permitting, I too will have one of these in my stable soon!:clap:...I go in for the interview today, and if all goes well, I'll be at the dealer after the first 4 checks!

Peer pressure is a bitch!...:crackup:
Honestly, the bike is about 90% complete right now. The wheelbase will be the big decision, then a shifter, and really, that's about it.

Good luck on your interview! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, I am getting there. I spent about 4 hours working on the bike this morning, buttoning up little details. I have a few minor aesthetic things to address, but she is mostly there:

It is 32 degrees out, so I only went for a brief ride...but boy do I love this bike!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
She's lookin good.

Much better with that Brocks on there, them wheels and no mirrors...streamlined...more like a bike with the "R" designation should look.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She's lookin good.

Much better with that Brocks on there, them wheels and no mirrors...streamlined...more like a bike with the "R" designation should look.:thumbup:
"R" designations are marketing decisions. Remember the Ninja 500R??

This bike is a "ZZR" overseas...although it is by far the highest performance big-bore Kawasaki ever produced...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.