Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be faced with the delema of what bike to get for the track (roadcourse racetrack) next spring. My problem is, I'm too big (6'-4" 280 lbs) for damn near everything except the 12.

I love the twisties and have long ago come to the realization that I'll never be a top-level competitor on the track but it doesn't stop my passion for wicking it up in the twisties.

The next step for me is the racetrack but what bike do I go with??? I won't even consider putting my new 12 on the track so I'm left with slim pickings as far as liter-plus sportbikes that'll fit me. I'm considering the 9R, YZF1000(Thunderace),& GSX-R1100 as options for a track bike.

I could really use some input on this..what do you guys think I should go with as a track bike?

·
Registered
468 Posts
i'm also a big bloke (not quite as big as you!) and i would personally recommend the 9 as a track bike for the bigger blokes...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mate, I'm 6'4" as well, although a little lighter (maybe more small-boned??!! :roll: )

I agree that the 12 (I have a PMB 02) is WAY too precious to get serious on the track. I have taken mine around Australia's former GP circuit many times, but I always take it easy.

I think you'll find that smaller bikes will be fine for you on the track - I am thinking of buying a ZX6. Yes it's small for me, but that just makes it easier to throw around in the tight turns. And who cares if it's not comfortable - I am not going to be riding it on the road.

As you know, the smaller and lighter the bike, the more manoeverable it is - which is why you would probably do faster lap times on a ZX6 than on a ZX9. Even a well-ridden VFR400 would whoop a ZX9's ass on a tight track!!

I certainly wouldn't go any bigger or heavier than a ZX9. That would be fine if the track(s) you're riding on are loose and flowing. But I would recommend you at least try a GSXR750/ZX6/CBR600 on a track if you can - you may well be surprised at how much fun a smaller bike is, and how fast you can lap simply by maintaining corner speed, which is impossible on a larger bike.

12rider
Sydney

·
Registered
468 Posts
well, for my size i have found that if i WAS to buy a track bike, it would be the cbr600...great bike, plenty of guts, fantastic handling...

i suggest you try taking one for a test ride, and if you find that too small (or whatever) then go the zx9...i personally think these two bikes to be the best in their classes...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
12rider said:
Mate, I'm 6'4" as well, although a little lighter (maybe more small-boned??!! :roll: )

I agree that the 12 (I have a PMB 02) is WAY too precious to get serious on the track. I have taken mine around Australia's former GP circuit many times, but I always take it easy.

I think you'll find that smaller bikes will be fine for you on the track - I am thinking of buying a ZX6. Yes it's small for me, but that just makes it easier to throw around in the tight turns. And who cares if it's not comfortable - I am not going to be riding it on the road.

As you know, the smaller and lighter the bike, the more manoeverable it is - which is why you would probably do faster lap times on a ZX6 than on a ZX9. Even a well-ridden VFR400 would whoop a ZX9's ass on a tight track!!

I certainly wouldn't go any bigger or heavier than a ZX9. That would be fine if the track(s) you're riding on are loose and flowing. But I would recommend you at least try a GSXR750/ZX6/CBR600 on a track if you can - you may well be surprised at how much fun a smaller bike is, and how fast you can lap simply by maintaining corner speed, which is impossible on a larger bike.

12rider
Sydney

Good points. I've recently ridden my buddies '99 GSX-R750 and another buds '99 ZX-6R. I gotta tell ya..I instantly fell in love with the Gixxer 750! 8)

I believe the comment I made when I got off his bike was " I COULD RULE THE FAWKIN WORLD ON THIS BIKE!! :lol: :lol: " I rode the 750 on one of the windyest,tightest,heavily off-cambered roads that I frequent in my area and I couldn't believe how brilliantly that thing handled. I found myself braking and turning-in wayyyyyyyyy too early on that bike. The power left a bit to be desired until a wrung her out.

The 6R felt slightly lighter and less stable than the 750 and ALOT skinnier...but it has NO BALLS WHATSOEVER! My ride on both of the bikes had my muscles cramping in no time however. A smaller bike will take some getting used to but like the saying goes..if you wanna play... :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Venumb, interested to hear you say the ZX6 felt gutless next to the GSX750. Was the difference really that noticeable? I haven't ridden the 750 - so maybe I should piss the 6R off and get a Gixxer instead.
12rider
Sydney

·
Registered
65 Posts
Zx-12r on a track

There's an issue of cycle canada, where the journalist put the 2002, Bababusa and the Zx-12r on the Mosport race track in Ontario.

It's if I understand well a fast track with long curve. So the Bbabusa drag footpeg wooble etc. The 12 for this track work very well in corners and for sure on the long straight.

My experience with a 12 on a short track with tight corners are you couldn't keep the pace with a smaller bike (600 cc) because the weight.

But I never saw any Bababusa on the track, because it's definitely not a track bike.

So I think if I go on a short track I will go with a 600. The 12 are well indicated for long track. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Definitely get the Gsx-r750. Before the zx-6r

Unless you can afford a Honda RC51 it is the ultimate track tool, and would probably fit your large frame too.

I currently have a 02R1 and absolutly love the way it handles, but it is not for a very big guy. I am 5'10" 180 lbs. fits me great.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
If you want to get into some real fun and run at the track, you need to
take the two day course and get your license. It's a must to learn
about the flags, rules for proper passing etc, and then you can have a great
time....you have to start on a 600 or 750, and you don't get to run on a
900 until you 1st start small and win a certain amount of points which
then puts you in "expert" class. So look for a Honda F4 which is a good
cheap bike, and go have a blast!

You won't see any 12s at the track because they aren't any faster than
the smaller bikes, because of so many twisties and all.

You can take your bike out on "track days" but you will be out there with
all kinds of junk, and wannabees will be all over the track doing stupid
moves...so be careful if you take this route.

One more thing, at the track there is NO FAULT, meaning if someone
totals your bike because they fall in front of you or whatever, it
doesn't matter who was at fault, you just paid for your bike. And if
you get hurt, you don't sue the other guy, so you better have medical
insurance, which is required, but they don't ask for proof...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why not

12RPilot had his 12 (2000) at Road America, and was running at the front of the pack. Put on some Rennsports and go for it, at your size you need the big bore for the straights. I had my 02 there and was not doing to bad. I am 6'3 @225lbs. It is a fun bike for the twisties, you just have to work a little harder at it. The first time you pass a Ducati or a Gixxer in the corner, it will make up for the effort. J
[image]http://www.speedmadness.com/Photo_op_Road_America_72002/WEB_RA_7_30_2002_2540.JPG[/image]
[image]http://www.speedmadness.com/Photo_op_Road_America_72002/WEB_RA_7_30_2002_2365.JPG[/image]
[image]http://www.speedmadness.com/Photo_op_Road_America_72002/WEB_RA_7-31-2002_0915.JPG[/image]

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have No doubts that the 12 would do what I need it to do at the track but..It makes no sense (to me anyway) to place my new $10K bike on the track only to suffer a "NO FAULT" accident at the hands of someone who just had to push it too hard into a corner :x .

Being left bikeless is not what I intend to do so..I'm left looking for a track bike. FWIW, most of the guys I ride with are track regulars (a few in the EXPERT class) and they're all amazed at what I can make my 12 do. I'm ready to take the next step..I just don't want to risk destroying the bike I've dreamnt about owning for years :cry: .

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12rider said:
Venumb, interested to hear you say the ZX6 felt gutless next to the GSX750. Was the difference really that noticeable? I haven't ridden the 750 - so maybe I should piss the 6R off and get a Gixxer instead.
12rider
Sydney

Yes the 6R left ALOT to be desired in the power department..but...my weight (280 lbs) has ALOT to do with that. The 6R's handling felt too unstable for my liking..too flickable, if you can imagine that :? ?

The 750 Gixxer obviously had more grunt but it's handling was much more fluid, controlled, less flighty yet nearly as flickable as the 6R. I found that having the extra grunt of the 750 allowed me to unload the front end much quicker exiting sharp turns. The stability it had made me feel much more confident through the turns, especially the high-speed sweepers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Competatively speaking, as in actual racing, a 9' works real well, a buddy of mine raced and took the podium away from many a Gixer 1000 on his 9'.
I'm 6'4" weigh anywhere from 245-255 lbs (depends on my previous 2-3 weeks activities). I've been to race school on my 12' (was certified), and track days. There is nothing wrong with this bike for the track. Sure it's heavy, you just have to change your mind set. Real sharp twisty, of course a 6' with take it quicker, I just go in a little slower, gear it just right, and blast past on the exit. And on the straights, nobody can touch you. Most other corners, rider skill. We have a corner at Race City Speedway called the 'carousel', and I've drug pegs, toe, and knee, out performing many, and getting an even better lead onto the straight (where no other regular bike can touch the 12').
I'd rethink this...because if you haven't been to the track before, you will learn tons on the bike you ride most times anyway...
The 'busa' would probably suck at this track, but again, rider skill has more than allot to do with it...

For those that missed it...and think a 12' can't perform track duty...

http://www.cyclenet.ca/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=My-cool-pics&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&PHPSESSID=273b89be9f4e855bbec5d401ab4a0527

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Hey motobeagle, not to start anything, but are talking about
an open track day with a bunch of different class bikes, or was it
an actual race?

In florida, we don't have a class for ZX-12s, just unlimiteds, and I've
never seen a 12 in there...

So when you say he was at the front, I'm curious what he was in front of.
On open track days I had a friend who went out there and bragged how
he blew everyone away...so the next time I went, and the fastest bike out
there was a Harley Sportie....duh, no shit he was the fastest. The other
bikes were slow, and the riders had no clue how to ride...point being is
that it's easy to first when there is no competition.

I thought I was hot shit. I used to drag my knee in the turns and all,
and thought I was toooo fast to be beaten. Until I signed up and got
on the track with some REAL riders....I've come a long way, but to be
fast....REALLY fast, you have to have no regard for your life.

When you come off a straight doing 175mph, and brake with the rear
to slide the tail out so you can start your rear steer into the turn, that's
just plain 'ol sick, and I don't care how many times I do it, it's never
going to feel good for me, so I'll NEVER be as fast as the other guys
that flat out don't care...

I learned that I may be fast, but there are plenty of guys that can blow me
away...but what reall cooks you is when some kid on a 600 leaves your
as in the turns like he's on a go-cart, and I'm in a VW...sure I'll eat him
up when we hit the straights, but who's the real rider!!!

So it does bother me when guys go to "track days" and say they left
everyone behind.... I know better.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Oh shit, I'm not going to be popular here, but Slid'r, nice pic and all,
but that's not racing... You still have the headlights (glass not allowed),
no numbers, turnsignals, which tell me it's "track day". Don't get me
wrong, I'm all for hittin the track and working on form etc...but don't
tell me how the 12 left everyone until you enter a real race.

I'm amazed that even on "track day" they didn't make you tape over
the lights, wire your oil filter and drain/fill plugs, and change to waterwetter.
Once that shit is on the track it's real hard to ever get good traction
again, especially with anti-freeze. On all the tracks I've been on, no
turnsignals are allowed, (as the spear legs etc) and no kickstands either.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Slid'r, I looked at your pic again...you do have great form...Looking
deap into the turn is a thumbs up for you!

Here's something else you might try. Silver state classic. It's in Nevada,
and it's a 90 mile run in which the police close off the road (can you believe)
and it's a wide open run to the gun. There are some turns in which you
need to slow to about 70, so it's not all just flat out speed. But a lot of
it is....and since you corner the bike well, this might be something you
would really excell in!

I'm going to check it out next time...it might be a blast to have a bunch
of us from the forum to get together....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
238mph said:
Ok, check this out... http://www.silverstateclassic.com

It's in May...

That would be the sh1t to run that on a 12 or anything else for that matter. Flat out fun! Speed TV used to air that race when they still had a backbone (they were call Speedvision back then)....ahhhh the good ol' days! :?

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
I just found out that they don't let bikes run...damn!!!!

I asked them if they knew of or had anything that included bikes....

Let you know

Jere

1 - 20 of 44 Posts