Kawasaki World banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Solid work!
-Thank You!

Update... I have made an order for a Slipper Clutch. Figured I have spent all this money on the bike already so why not spend a little more and be "done" with it.. Also the Ebay seller who I bought the slipper clutch from is now selling the clutches with a discount that is about the same as the offer I had made the seller earlier (the seller declined my offer)... The clutch I bought is a TSS Racing Parts Slipper Clutch. This clutch assembly uses the OEM fibers, plates and springs, which I already bought some time ago in case the Barnett clutch kit that is in the bike would not have worked out. The Barnett kit worked out well, so the OEM parts were left unused in the box they came in, well until I get the TSS clutch..

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Update... The Slipper Clutch has made it's way over from Germany.. Pics of the install will follow later... I also got a box containing the Black Widow exhaust pipes delivered last week. I only bought the BW headers and link pipe. I will reuse the Yoshi RS-3 slip-on can with the BW pipes... With slipper clutch and pipes bolted on the bike, the build will be done...

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Cheers CMG :coffee:

-Sadly no, I have been stuck at work. The weather is going to be nice on Saturday, so a bike ride is on the top of my to do list. On Sunday it's gonna rain all day, so a good day to spend in the garage... My truck is also in need of some TLC.. Sad part is next week the weather is going to be mostly rain and cold, so don't know when I will be able to take the bike out for a test run with the slipper clutch installed...

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Update...

Spent Sunday in the garage, sadly got a later start than I had planed. Any way... First project on the "To Do" list was to change out the stock exhaust/down pipes for a set from Black Widow.. As with all projects there is always that one part that won't fit... This time it was the muffler adapter. One of the bolt holes was off so had to drill the adapter bolt hole larger so I could bolt the adapter together with the Yoshi muffler... The pipes seems to fit nicely, though it still remains to be seen how well they will get on with the right side fairing... (For future reference - The downpipe bolts are torqued to 12 ft-lb. Found that spec in a Kawa ZX6-R forum. The service manual does not specify any TQ numbers for these bolts)

Next project was to change out the OEM clutch for the TSS Slipper Clutch.. Again life :mad: What I had not anticipated on was that one needs a long socket to be able to loosen the 30mm nut that holds the clutch basket.. My collection of tools is good, but -Nope, I do not have a long 30mm socket :rolleyes: -So that is how far I got.. -Bastard!!! So need to make a trip to the hardware store on Monday to buy a socket so I can finish this....

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Just found this picture of me from last Saturday trying my best to look cool for the camera. Picture is taken on a twisty road we bikers around Stockholm call "The Bolt" (Don't ask me how the road got such a dumb name. No. 1. I have no idea and No. 2. There was most likely alcohol involved..) In the photo Im just coming out of a long left sweeping curve and beginning to shift over for the following right..

/Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lovely two-wheeled Koenigsegg (the 12's lights always makes me think of a CCX)

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Update...

The TSS clutch is installed. You install it more or less the same way as a OEM clutch. Only difference is you change out one washer, you need to take two measurements with a slide caliper (measurement is to check the correct play between the hub and pressure plate) and you place a normal size fiber first, then a plate and after that comes the larger diameter fiber and the two metall rings...
Sadly I could not take the bike out for a test ride because of rain. I only rode the bike around the garage complex. The clutch pull is smooth and you don't need much muscle to pull the lever because the clutch is used with OEM springs. I can not say I felt any difference, most likely because I could not ride at any real speed inside the garage, well I could have but...

Easier when I got the longer 30mm socket..

Foot peg came in handy when loosening and tightening the hub nut. Trying to loosen/Tq the nut and hold the hub holding tool with just muscle will probably be an issue. The torque spec is 130Nm (95 ft-lb) for the nut. About the hub holding tool. Do NOT tighten the jaws stupid tight, if you do, you might end up cracking the hub. It's enough finger tight + about 1/4 turn on the adjuster screw.

Clutch ready for action...

About the Black Widow exhaust system. Could not hear any difference in the sound track going from the stock pipe with the Yoshi slip-on to the BW downpipes/exhaust and Yoshi. Then again with higher Rpm the sound track might be a little different.. Remains to be heard once I get the bike out... The BW pipe weight savings to the stock pipe is huge...

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Cheers CMG :coffee:

No info like that in the manual. The manual is quite basic. Manual says to contact TSS for more info on different setups. That said the TSS clutch design is used in high power production and race bikes close to or over 200Hp, so I do not think having a 12 with more power will hurt either the TSS hub or pressure plate. (Side note - A slipper clutch is not ment to be used on the 1/4mile strip. One would want a clutch that grabs and holds the fukc all riding down the dragstrip..)

This is how I understand the workings of a slipper clutch just for discussion... (FYI. I am no expert so..)

Depending on the pressure plate clearance one adjusts where the clutch "grabs" - Do you want it to grab earlier or later depending on how aggressive you are with downshifts and how many down shifts do you do going into a corner. It's allot of difference in going down one gear to going down, let's say three? Also no two corners is the same, so it will be a compromise...

With changing spring rate one controls the engine braking when down shifting. The higher the spring rate the less the clutch will slip giving more engine braking and vice versa. Again this will be a compromise as with the pressure plate clearances.

Any way.. To start experimenting with clearances and springs is more for a pro rider chasing a thousandth of a second at the track, than for a normal everyday rider that rides a couple of times a year on a track... Then again why not? If one can adjust something more to ones liking, nothing wrong with that.. Might do just that for fun/interest..

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Update... The weather turned kinda nice today, still cold but ok to go for a ride... The slipper clutch works like magic. It was a little weird feeling at first, but I soon got used to the feeling of not having to rev match on down shifts. Going into corners, the bike feels so smooth and it feels so easy to ride now because I do not have to think about/concentrate on rev matching on down shifts. The slipper clutch was so worth the money spent...

I also had my two GoPro cameras recording while I was out riding.. I will post a video link later when I'm done with editing and uploaded the video to YouTube..
-Take Care!
/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Update... The weather has been kinda ok over here. With every ride I love the slipper clutch more. The slipper clutch totally changes how you are able to ride a ZX12R because the bike does not have the excessive engine braking any more and you can change down gears with out rev matching. Makes the bike much more "fluid" to ride...

I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel... Click ➡ Ride Video

The video is riding one of my favorite roads south of the city of Stockholm, Sweden. The road is close to the sea and the countryside looks really nice now when nature is getting it's colors back after winter... Sadly the this road is in kinda poor shape, lots of potholes and bumps.. Also there are houses and people going about their daily stuff along the road, so the video is in no way a "Bomber" run down the road... There are better suited roads for that kind of activity...

/Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Have you had a chance to down shift bang bang bang from 195kmh/120mph?
cmg
Have not tried it at really high speeds and up there in the rpm range, like simulating going down a race track. Reason is that all my riding to date has more been about building up confidence after the winter intermission, in other words, I am not really ready to risk crashing my bike just yet because of all the work I have put into it over the winter. That is the one big negative when you have something really nice to ride, it makes you ride allot more carefully. Then again shifting down at lower speeds, at about 60-70mph going down the road, no issues. Hope to do a track day June, but remains to be seen how that will work out because of the bastard Covid virus...

/Tom

81 - 100 of 100 Posts