Kawasaki World banner

My ZX12R Winter 2019 Project

21K views 100 replies 11 participants last post by  Mefirst 
#1 · (Edited)
The "insanity" level just keep on rising... It just has to be true love to pour this much money and time into an old bike... -But love is love :x ... any way.......

The OEM fairings have started to look kinda sad and become brittle with age. So searched Ebay and found a cool looking "China" fairing set. Did not have high hopes, but then again, you get what you pay for, and I did not spend a whole lot on this fairing kit, so... I was how ever surprised when I opened the box. The paintwork is really nice on these fairings. Sadly there was one small nick on the tank cover :frown2: , probably not the fault of the China company who made the fairings, culprit is more likely to be found among the personell who work within shipping...

The paint job was the nice part.. Then came time to start to fit the fairings to the bike. Again with everything aftermarket seldom does things fit, as was/is the case with these fairings. Many hours of mount the fairings on one at a time, then taking the fairing off to do some modifications to get it to fit somewhat good. Just so you know how bad the fitment can be with these aftermarket fairings. I spent about 4 hours just on the tail fairing to get it to fit somewhat acceptable and curse at the pillion cover because it does not fit that great.. (I am very OCD so...) The front fairing with the head lights and stuff was actually not that bad and the tank cover also fit nicely. The cover fairings that go over the air intakes and hides them did NOT fit for "poop". Gonna reuse the OEM ones and just sand them down and paint them satin black... Then the bastard side fairings.. I just have the right side done, still need to fit the left and then mount the fairing pieces that go inside the side fairings (that will probably be lots of fun)...

any way... At this moment the project is only at the stage of fitting fairings on one by one in the best way possible, so it won't look like "poop" once done. I still have to add heat shielding, decals, etc... But I think the end result will end up looking good. I'm not using just "OEM" decals, I going with more a personal and custom touch on the detailing...

I also ordered a bunch of other stuff to for the bike... I will keep updating this thread as the project rolls on....

/Tom >:)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Update...

Fairings are fitted as good as possible. Took allot of time and patience, but I am quite happy with how it turned out. I am still waiting for the postman to deliver the decals and some other stuff, so can't do much more right now... other than enjoy a cold beer for a job done great....

I do have a plan and "picture" in my head how my bike will look once it's all done, but I'm not gonna tell you, you'll just have to come back and check this thread if you wan't to know :grin2: I will do some service at the same time I take the bike apart...

Attachments

#4 ·
Fairings look good. Oem stuff in good condition is getting hard to find. Expensive too.
Who was the vendor for these fairings?
cmg
Thanks! I do like to look of the fairings, and I think they will look really cool once I've added decals.. Here in Sweden it is impossible to find OEM fairings. Also the issue is that with age the plastic will become more brittle. I thought for a short moment if I should just paint the OEM fairings, but decided not to because they are so brittle and will only end up cracking. A have fixed (plastic welded) a couple of cracks in them already... Also the prep and paintwork of the OEM fairings would end up about same in cost....

I bought the fairings through Ebay from a "company" named "Sport Fairings". I actually believe all these "China" fairings out on the market are made by the same company and then just sold using different Ebay "dealers".

#5 ·
Update..

Spent a couple of hours in the garage. On the "to do" list was to change the seat covers. I have never done upholstery work, but first time for everything. I did how ever check out two videos over at YouTube about changing seat covers, before I had a go at it. It is not hard but you do need strong fingers, be very methodical and have a good quality staple gun. Also a heat gun is very good to use on the material to heat it up a little before and help stretch it. A little heating will result in that the material is easier to work with, wrinkles in the material is easier to get rid of, which in the end will result in a really good fit and looking good...

I am happy with how the change of covers turned out, not ever having done work like this.. I bought the covers through Ebay. It's a guy in Poland who makes them, quality is outstandingly good..

Added a couple of pictures, did not take many pics, but you'll get the idea and how it turned out. I am :grin2:

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks! First time doing upholstery, probably a bit of first timers luck to, that it turned out so nice.. I did not make the covers, I have no sewing skills what so ever, then again, maybe I should give that a try to... any way, bought the covers from Ebay.

This is the guy's Ebay shop who made the covers... https://www.ebay.com/str/firmawijalis The covers are made with high quality materials and you can also order/have him make custom ones (Lot's of different material/colors to choose from)

#8 · (Edited)
Also, forgot to add these pics yesterday when I was updating my project thread...

I could not resist attaching the decals to the bike after I had finished the work with the seat covers... All decals/emblems bought through Ebay.

Found these 70-80's tank cover "Kawasaki" emblems (China). The emblems were a bit of a pain in the butt to fit/attach, because they are "metal", need to bend them slightly to get them to fit against the tank.. Then again they do look so much cooler than the OEM emblems.

Bought a set of fairing decals from this seller on Ebay (Bulgaria) https://www.ebay.com/usr/335dani?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754 The decals are high quality vinyl. I only used the side fairing "ZX12R" decals from this kit.
Only thing is, when I put the left side decal on it got a small wrinkle in it, I managed to smooth it out, but I can still see it, again my "OCD", a little farther away you can't se it.. but still.. also when attaching the right side decal I did not manage to attache it perfectly centered, it's just some 1-2mm to far to the rear, but still... :crying:

Then last, raised "Ninja" decals on the sides of the rear fairing. (Also from China)

Attachments

#10 ·
I will :grin2: I just haven´t got that far into the build yet...

I´ve probably lost my mind but I´m really thinking seriously about buying a set of O.Z Piega wheels for the bike. Reason is, I sold another bike I had, a 1998 Yahama V-Max, that money sponsored everything I have bought for my ZX12 so far... and I still got some money left over from that deal.. so kinda think it´s ok to spend the money on the O.Z wheels...

The postman has been leaving packages for me all last week and got the last two today.. so I now have all parts I need to compleat the build... I will how ever decide about the wheels at a later time, because there is the option to just beadblast the stock wheels and paint them the colour I want... buuuut... the OZ wheels would be so cool though... and if I ever decide to sell the 12 I can always sell the OZ wheels on the side...

I will update the thread later this week...

#11 · (Edited)
Update...

Spent an evening in garage test fitting new parts to the bike.

Bought a Woodstock exhaust bracket (Pillion footrest delete) from Webike (Japan). Perfect fit. -Yes this bracket is more expensive than the typical stamped ones like R&D, BUT the Woodstock bracket looks so much better..

Took off the OEM rearsets and bolted on a rearsets from Gilles Tooling (Ebay). Sadly Gilles do not sell the Gold anodised sets that I really wanted anymore (according to the Ebay seller/shop from Germany, I did also check Gilles webpage and seems to be true. How ever seller gave a me a discount on the rearsets because the set I originally bought was the gold adonised ones but he could only deliver the black ones. That was nice of him..). Then again the Black set does look good to.. but the rearsets not being gold color kinda screwed with the final look I want for the bike...

Side note... There are several ways to adjust the Gilles rearsets. Problem is the tie rod that comes with the set is to short to use for some of the settings. At the more "extreme" settings the tie rod does not thread deep enough into the foot/lever assembly threaded rods. Well it does, but then the gear lever is in and uncomfortable position, IF using Race Shift then it would be ok.. They should have put a shorter and a longer tie rod in the kit or maybe a longer rod is missing from the kit I got. Going to check with the seller if that is the case... For the moment I set the footrest in slightly higher position (knees more bent) than the stock ones. I will have to experiment more once I am able to ride the bike again (winter intermission over here).

Also bought a set of chain adjusters (Ebay, from China). These adjusters are actually made for a ZX10. The adjusters fit with out any issues. BUT using the paddock stand pins attached to the adjusters is probably not a good idea. When doing work on the bike I will use the paddock stand pins attached to the swingarm (OEM position) and just unbolt the pins when not doing work/service on the bike, takes only seconds to do. The new adjusters are more for the look. The adjuster bolt "clicks" when you turn it to adjust the chain tension, I really like that.

I still have some parts to test fit, an update will come. After I know everything fit like it is supposed to, I will take the bike apart for a through out cleaning and service.

On the "to do" list is new bearings to the swingarm and suspension pivot linkage. When I did the shock change to a Wilbers in the early spring, I did check all these bearings and greased them but because I will paint the swingarm black, I will put in new bearings at the same time. I will also paint the lower forks black because the aluminium is pitted and looks awful. Do some other minor paint touch up here and there on the bike. I also have to deal with, as many of you have, with a minor oil leak from the valve cover, I'll also change the spark plugs at the same time.

Attachments

#12 ·
another update...

Again had some time to spend in the garage and got some things done... The job for the evening was to test mount the Brembo RCS19 master cylinder, Rizoma brake fluid reservoir and a Brembo clutch lever... Looks good :grin2:

Still left to do is wire the brake light switch, cut and fit a hose between mc and reservoir and finally, fill and bleed the brake system...

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Update...

Took off the swingarm for some new paint and later new bearings.

Removed the old paint. After that I used paint thinner wipe it down and to get rid of any traces of chain lube and grease. Coated it with Etch Primer, went over the swingarm twice. Let the primer dry for about 15 minutes between coats. After the second coat of primer I waited about 20 minutes and then put on the first layer of Black paint. Sprayed on three coats of Black with about 15 minutes between each new coat. I had planed to do four coats, but after the third coat I figured it won't get any better, so three coats of black paint. Came out nice.

Now I will let it dry for at least 4-5 days before I touch it. Once the paint has dried I will put in new bearings...

Pic. 1. Swingarm looking kinda sad
Pic. 2. Silver paint removed
Pic. 3. First coat of Etch Primer
Pic. 4-5. First coat of black

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Short update...

The swing arm paint and service job is done. Fresh paint and new bearings.. I invested in a Bearing Puller Kit. Always wanted one and with the change of bearings in the swing arm, I figured it was time to invest in one. Made the job so easy.. Puller kit is a JMP # 722 03 53. This is JMP's "large" puller kit that comes with the bridge puller.

Last job to do at the rear end of the bike was a service on the rear brake cylinder and at the same time it was off, cleaned the road grit of it. I also changed out the rear brake light switch to a hydraulic one, the stock one did not work with the Gilles rearsets. I cut the stock rear brake switch wires and soldered the wires to the new hydraulic switch wires, this way I could keep the stock wire connector.

Next I'll start to work on the front end of the bike. The "to do" list is not that long but it will probably take some time. Going to paint the lower fork legs black, change out the rusted exhaust manifold studs/nuts to fresh ones (bet that is going to be a fun job), check the valve clearances and some other minor maintenance...

I also bought a HealTech SpeedoHealer that I need to wire.

I am still debating and arguing with myself if I should spend the money on some OZ wheels or do the sensible adult choice and just bead blast and paint the OEM wheels....

Thanks for the interest :grin2:

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Cheers :grin2:

The paint ended up being more towards a matt black finish even though on the paint can it says Satin Black.. The swing arm and frame do look very similar in color, so I would say they are both more Satin Black, not to matt and not to gloss either - if that makes any sense?

#25 ·
Spent a couple of hours in the garage taking the front end of the bike apart so I can begin crossing out things on my "service and upgrades" list..

The thing I most had dread about was to unbolt the manifold pipes, the studs and nuts were covered in dirt and rust. Took my time and sprayed the studs/nuts with rust remover and WD40, used a wire brush to get all the gunk off, then even more rust remover spray and WD40. I am amazed to say that the exhaust studs came loose with out me saying one single swear word during the whole process...

After pipes I started to take stuff apart so I can get to the valve cover and later check the valve clearances and a change of spark plugs.. Before I begin that project I need to clean the the front of the engine case and valve cover, they are covered in oil and road grime... The Clean Air stuff is still hooked up, probably one of the last ZX12R that still has it. Also the rubber cover is still in place over the valve cover and that none of the previous owners had cracked the plastic cover that also sit on top of the valve cover...

I am gonna clean the engine and everything before I start to open it up, I hate working on dirty stuff. And once given a good clean it's nicer in the future if I need to dive back in...

I also have some paint work to do, fix the front brake master cylinder and some other stuff before the bike is ready for the road again.. I'll post more as stuff gets done...

(I also like how a ZX12R looks with out the fairings, I am playing with the idea of converting it to a naked bike one of these days....)

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Are you going to delete the kleen system?
cmg
To be honest I have not made up my mind yet about that. It does not bother me that its there and I do not mind the exhaust "popping" when I let off the throttle, childish I know, but I do like the sound of the exhaust "pops"... so at the moment I think I'll leave it as is... If I would buy a complete exhaust system, then I would take the Kleen Air system off, but at the moment I only run a Yoshi end can, so... I have checked out a full system made by a German company (Cobra). If I went the full system route, I would also have to spend money on a DynoJet PC and dyno time to set up the engine right... But for the time I'll just live with the exhaust "pops" and rather spend money on a set of OZ Piega wheels instead... The full exhaust system and DynoJet PC may come later on...

#29 ·
Spent a couple of hours in the garage again. Cleaned the engine then took off the valve cover and spent some time measuring the valve clearances...

The clearances were ok for the most part BUT I found two intake valve gaps and one exhaust valve gap to be to tight..

Here are the numbers...

Cyl #1 Exh. 0,29 / 0,25 Int. 0,18 / 0,12
Cyl #2 Exh. 0,27 / 0,27 Int. 0,12 / 0,20
Cyl #3 Exh. 0,25 / 0,24 Int. 0,18 / 0,18
Cyl #4 Exh. 0,25 / 0,21 Int. 0,20 / 0,20

So looks like I'll need to buy a set of valve shims...

#31 ·
Those to inlet 12s look odd, are you sure you didn't have an extra feeler gauge blade stuck in there?:|

#32 · (Edited)
I measured those two valves several times, even tried different combinations of feeler gauge blades to get the measurement. I am not shore what is going on with those two valves? Thing is, engine runs good, no weird sounds or anything that would have made me worry before I took it apart. I will recheck all the measurements again tomorrow...

This is just me thinking out loud. When I bought the bike, the seller said (even got it printed on paper) they had done a valve check and a bunch of other service stuff before putting the bike out for sale. I wonder if the mechanic messed up something while doing the valve check and that is the reason for the two really out of spec measurements I got... Or somethings going on with the valve train that I need to investigate more closely... Or I just messed up those two measurements, though I do not know how I would have managed that because I did the measurement several times...

Thanks! :grin2:

#34 ·
You are correct Sir! :wink2: -Naah, as I wrote in my earlier post, I will check again because it is so off.. Kinda hope it was me messing up the measurement, if not, I will have to start investigating and once more something that was supposed to be a simple project....

#35 ·
I would imagine the last person just added instead of subtracting 5, easily done if distracted, I've done it myself.

#36 · (Edited)
Another update...

-You are correct Sir! The mechanic at the bike dealership put in thicker shims than was necessary, probably got distracted or had a brain fart...

Any way, I took all the valve buckets and shims out today. -True, I did not have to but I wanted to measure every shim so I have everything on paper for future reference. There are only three shims that really need to be changed out BUT I was thinking - Is it better to change out most of the shims towards the looser, because I have everything is apart right now, than having to redo this again next winter?

I can order/buy 9.48mm shims in 0.025 in/de-creasements here from a local shop.

I also made a note that using a slide caliper is not the best tool for the job measuring the valve shims, well it can be, but you do need to check that the slide caliper is not off like mine was/is. A micrometer is a better tool for measuring shim thickness, this assuming that it does show the correct measurement..

Attachments

#37 ·
Loads of access there. :| I never stripped the radiator off mine, though it did make the number 5or6 exhaust gap hard to get into.

I've done loads of shims on the zx9 and what I noticed was the exhaust clearances close about 4 times quicker than the inlets, so I always left the inlets on the low side so they opened sooner and put the exhaust high so they hold onto the power stroke for longer. Try to make pair of valves the same if you can, it seems to make the engine smoother.

I have noticed that the zx-12r does not need checking as much as the zx-9r, probably because you don't have to work the engine as much so the clearances don't close as quickly. :smile2: I suppose it depends on how hard you are going to be working the engine and if you have somewhere where you're up in the big 3 digit mph zone for long periods of time. :grin2: Lucky you if you can, but I suspect petrol stations will become the main concern.

Handy having a shim supplier nearby. I had loads of zx9 shims so thought I'd have the shims sorted till I lifted the first bucket off the 12, and noticed they were 9.48 and not the 7.48 like on the zx9. :frown2:

Good luck with it.:smile2:

#39 ·
Loads of access there. :smile2:
-Yeah, I really went in deep, I know.. But I plan on taking off the throttle bodies for a clean at the same time, now that everything is apart and I have good access to everything. No one has done a a really good clean for a long time on my bike and that makes me have some serious OCD issues :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.