Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 ZX12 with approx. 17,000 fairly easy miles on the clutch. The dealership drilled my basket when it was new.
The problem I was having is the clutch was not disengaging all the way, making it hard to get into neutral, and also trying to creep forward while in gear.
I removed the clutch cover, steels, and fibers. Everything looked good, and both were with in specs. The stack was 57.8 on the bench, no warped fibers or steels.
The only thing that looks funky is the 2nd pic of the scratches.
Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi nohto. to be honest all the pictures look normal to me. (the marks on the clutch basket are just machine marks , they all have them)
All I can think of is cable adjustment.
Good luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What's weird, is that after 17,000 miles, it appears that my stack is actually over the max spec. I added 2 2.0 steels (in place of 2 1.6) at first, thinking that I had to be under the spec, and when I tested it, the problem was worse than originally.
For me to get my lever free play, I have to adjust the lower adjustment almost maxed out, and the upper close to max also. (That was with the 2.0 steels)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah they are very touchy on the height, I'd try again & try & get the stack height at 57.4mm well above min, but just under max.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
what oil are you running?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mobile One Racing 4T.
I used to run Motul E-Tech 100 for ever. I can't remember exactly when I switched to Mobile, but do you think that might be causing a problem?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah they are very touchy on the height, I'd try again & try & get the stack height at 57.4mm well above min, but just under max.
Good luck.
Is that bench measured, not on the bike torqued? Don't know if it measures differently compressed or not.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to take her apart again and I will try and get the height as close as possible.

KZ, any thoughts on the oil?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked my stack height with all original steels and fibers, and it is 57.9 mm. None of my steels or fibers are out of spec, but they must be warped just enough to exceed the max. height.
I know my steels are fine because I measured them separately and it came out exactly 17.6 mm.
Will .3 mm actually cause the clutch to not disengage properly?
I never changed my lower cable adjustment, because it would of caused there to not be enough free play if I remember correctly.

This is pissing me off. My dirt bikes never cause me any grief as far as the clutches go, and I hammer the shit out of them.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes, sorry they are really critical on the clutch. I've had Suzuki's before & you could just chuck the clutch in & it would work. Not these though. They either work or they don't!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have 2 2.0mm steels and the OEM 1.6mm steels. How would you recommend to get the height to spec?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well, I have 2 2.0mm steels and the OEM 1.6mm steels. How would you recommend to get the height to spec?

At about the same miles that's the same way I had mine done. But I don't remember, i either measured on the bike or I used clamps on the bench. I"m at 23k or so with the original plates, frictions and it's running fine. Unless the clutch has seen a hard enough life to causing warping I'd recheck the linkage and make sure there's good action.

Also go over the chain. besides the normal tension trying soaking it with lube and see if it makes a difference. i don't know if it'll work but nothing to lose.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I have 2 new 2.0 steels not installed at this time. With all OEM parts I am over by .3mm. I actually increased height at 17,000 miles causing the clutch to not disengage entirely and making it difficult to find neutral.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oops. I must have misread. Yea, if you over then that's probably the hangup. I took out the two 1.6 and replaced with 2.0. I don't really dig measuring the height. They should come out with a measurement for the air gap. Think that would be easier. Also, if that's all oem parts sizes and you're over something is out of whack for sure.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I removed 1 fiber, and 1.6 steel, and added both 2.0 steels, and came up with 57.15mm. Took it for a quick test put up the street, and it seems to be OK. I can get it in neutral easily, and it doesn't appear to have any slippage. Will have to put the right side plastics on and take it for a real ride when the weather improves. It has been raining in Vegas for most of the day, and my bike has never been subjected to rain and oily streets.

·
Registered
626 Posts
awesome. I'm a little jealous but i shouldn't I got a couple hours in today. Took the 12 to a gymkana event. I didn't get to enter, no sport bikes, but i'm glad. This was last minute and my bike is not setup would of went down right away. Your bike got a good home. Wish it were like that for more of this bikes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the 12 out for a 20 or so mile spin last night, and the clutch seems to be operating correctly.
Thanks for the assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts