Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howaye lads. In September of last year I went on a run to Scotland and although the roads and scenery were amazing the weather was in a word…crap!

On our way back to the ferry, a journey of 3ish hours we got caught in one of the worst storms I've ever encountered on two wheels. The rain was horizontal and the wind gusts nearly had us in the ditch more than once. Waiting it out was not an option.

My twelve behaved flawlessly until the last hour when I noticed that it wouldn't idle without a throttle input from me. I also noticed that instead of the usual 130mls before the fuel light flickered I only got 90. When I got the bike home I inspected the power commander and every electrical connector but found nothing.

Now everything is all dried out she still runs a little rich and not as smooth so here's what I'm thinking. The K&N filters have been in the bike for 9 years however the bike has only done 8K. Although the filters have been blown out over the years the oil was never replaced and is completely gone on the inlet side. I'm thinking the rain was so bad and the ram air scoop so large that the twelve sucked in a load of water and with no oil on the filters to protect them became clogged with water. This led to the bike being starved of air and would explain the rubbish fuel consumption and not idling properly!

I getting her ready for a busy 2014 so any input would be great…:thumbup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
It has to be related to the rain. I would wd40 the plus our blow then dry with compressed air just to be sure. If you don't have a compressor use a sit bed foot pump with a small nozzle. Works just as well just a bit more effort.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Check your atmospheric pressure sensors? I know the 04-06 models have 2, so they can be swapped around to see how it runs.
Not sure if the 03 is similar..

·
Registered
810 Posts
as long as your checking connections, check all of them on the top end : throttle position sensor, air temp, etc... if you get a load of H2O in any of the connectors and thereby bad connection / corrosion / etc... it could cause the computer to give performance that's "a bit dodgey" :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies lads, I was also thinking she may be running on only 3 cylinders which would explain her running rough and rich. I have been told the simplest way to check is to spray water on each of the exhaust headers immediately after starting and watch for steam off all four.

Anyone know another way to check without pulling the bike to bits?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Touch them with your finger with a bit of spit to stop them sticking ?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
To save you burning your fingers nip round to Lidls, there selling infra red heat guns for £18.

I picked one up the other day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts