Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI : Any one can help me my 2001 zx12r runs faster than ever before when full throttle and increasing speed, just when trying to go same steady speed
start bouncing like if we're
going not gas and gas again this happens at any speed and at any shift even in 6th shift even when going downshift and try to go same speed on a curve goes doing the same
have tested when is in neutral too 5000 rpm and nothing happens is steady only after a minute the rpm slow a little bit
have checked and change the air filter and the main
hose
please help need to ride
excuse my English I´m Spanish speaking

thank you
Miguel

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you have a power Commander on it? That could also be intake boots leaking on the throttle bodies. Could be a fuel pump giving up.

What you describe sounds like a fueling issue. That herky jerky is usually from a bad tune, a really bad one. So we need to know if you have a power Commander or have been trying to tune it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It does sound like a fueling problem. What is the last thing you or anyone else did to the bike before this started? Even something as simple as filling the fuel tank could be a clue.

If you have a power commander or some other fuel control device try unplugging it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your help, do not have a power Commander, the last thing was done to the bike was someone cleaned the
intake piece all the way from the front to the throttle bodies was also to change spark plugs and told me was not necessary
those plugs have like 6,000 to 8,000 miles
and all started that day was increasing every Sunday for 4 weeks and now is too much to ride with comfort make me go full gas all the time
this mechanic checked twice all the hoses he thought that was the problem also took off the air filter but never checked the
fuel filter or fuel pump will do it myself this next weekend
any extra advice to check the throttle bodies will help me

thank you for your help

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not knowing the extent to which "someone" disassembled the bike in order to clean the intake my advice is for you to disassemble, check and reassemble everything he touched.
-- Check the intake from the scoop all the way back to the airbox for obstructions (rags, papertowels, etc.)
-- too much oil on the air filters
-- objects in the airbox
-- unplugged connectors, swapped connectors, broken or frayed wires, pin pushed from a connector
-- unplugged or loose or pinched hoses, loose hose clamps, cracked hoses, hoses swapped to the wrong place
-- Check the throttle and enrichener cables for operation and freedom of movement all the way to the throttle bodies

All of this of course assumes that the bike was running properly before it was serviced. If not tell us why it was serviced. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you it is very helpful all your advise already start to unassemble the frames to check all you mentioned
the bike was running excellent before he touches it, the air ram intake was too dusty and dirty for 2 years of use every Sunday and take them to him to clean that, and he cleaned also throttle bodies the problem in Mexico no one knows this bike are very few in the country will do all the work over the weekend hope can ride on Sunday and will let you know
thank you

·
Registered
168 Posts
Were the velocity stacks removed? If so one or more may not be seated in it's boot causing an air leak. How were the throttle bodies cleaned? Were the throttle bodies removed for cleaning? Again could be an air leak at a throttle body boot as Jpowell suggested. Maybe another member with experience in that area will jump in and offer some advice. I've never had to go that deep into my bike.

So if the same person went through the bike the second time either he didn't go as deep into it as he did the first time and therefore didn't find something he may have done incorrectly or he repeated his mistake when he reassembled it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will go to ask him to know if he removed the velocity stacks and what else he did to know what to look for
think will go for an air leak failure

thank you for all your advise

·
Registered
252 Posts
So my first inclination was probably right. Check the intake (throttle body) boots. Sometimes they dry rot and crack as well. He could have cracked them by taking them off or spraying cleaning fluid on them.

Let the bike idle and take some carb or fuel injector cleaner and spray from the side of the engine, the intake boots. If it speeds up or starts to die, you found your problem.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Just a thought, but does the chain have a slack spot in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
will do the spray injector cleaner check and will check the slack chain spot, is there a proper way to check the chain?
thank you in advance for all your very helpful comments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Your TPS has a worn spot where you spent most of your time at that throttle position so when u hit it you will lose power because its losing the connection... i had same issue with mine problem is you cant just buy a tps : ( i bought 3 whole throttle bodies as spares) sold my bike 4 years ago still have 1 or 2 in a box in my shed lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will look for that worn spot int the TPS have lot of work this weekend have a note of all your recommendations
thank you for your help
will post here when find the problem and bike runs smooth

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
could be a bad map (IAP) sensor
below 10% throttle, the bike is mainly running on the vacuum fuel tables. above 10% and its into the tps tables.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been watching but haven't seen any posts from you recently. Did you get your problem resolved? We all hope so. If you did please tell us what was wrong. If not resolved please tell us what you've done so far and what if any effect it had on the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
first checked the fuel pump and works fine then Tested the TPS with a multimeter and seems it is Ok , but during the process find out the stator it is burned out did not ride the bike to test it just with the multimeter
and now disasemble the stator and I´m in the process to buy one

not sure if that could be the cause because I have ride it with the problem for around 400 miles and do not think the battery could last that long with the stator fried
now took of the stator and check the regulator that seems is ok charged the battery again and it is working fine
look for any short in the harness and look fine

so I´m now in the process of buying a new stator to test on the road

I´m going to get crazy if not ride soon LOL

thank you for your help and messages

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you checked for oil in the stator connector in the tail section of the bike? At the beginning of the ZX12R section there are a couple of posts that are years old which discuss the cause and cure. Good luck, you've probably found the problem. I admire your persistence on a tough problem with no local support.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts