Kawasaki World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 ZX12 is idling rough and hesitates some under all out acceleration. Tends to idle worse when engine is warmed up. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the problem?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Dude. Chilax. You got watered gas in it? Run some seafoam or acetone thru it...clean the injectors. Is your fuel pump ok. More details might get you a bit further than just "it runs rough at idle and worse warm"..that could be a lot of things. Check the plugs. When were those replaced last. When was the last time the throttle bodies were sync'd? Are they dirty. What do the air filters look like? When was the last valve adjustment? Have you ever had them checked? Does it have enough oil in it? Is it overheating at all? Has it ever overheated? Do you ride hard or "normal"? Does the FI light ever come on? Is the clutch dragging? Any abnormal engine noises?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Just in case, check the stator connection plugs as in the threads for oil in connectors etc. it may be possible you're not getting sufficient charge through to the battery and after it warms up / runs for a while the battery starts running flat and can cause similar conditions as you describe, it certainly has happened to me a few times till my last "fix".

Hope you get it sorted,

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
A problem throughout the rev range could well be ignition related. Being as it's a 2000, Duck00 gave you a good place to start. Also as mentioned above, a little more background information would be helpful. Plenty of people out here who'd be glad to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks just driving me crazy . Bike is a project bike I took on . It was a mess when I got it. It had sat long time . Had bad gas in it , I took of tank and cleaned it . It also had very dirty oil and it was low . I'm on 4th oil flush . It sounds good when cold when it warms up it sounds like fouled plug . I put new plugs in it didn't help. I've had it out on the road it will not run good in 1000 to2500 rpm range you have to pull in clutch . It also has hesitation when you get on it and sometimes surges at mid rpm not very often but it haze done it once or twice . The tail pipe is also black and seems to be using lots of fuel . I am I checking fault codes now . It looks like it stored air sensor and maybe tps . But I could have set tps offmy self . When I unplugged tpi I checked plug side with olhm meter it only has.45 book says it needs 5 ~6 . So not sure about that . Do not have the adapter to check the volt checked out good at ECu . All help is very welcome . Sorry for lack of info .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery is new and checks out good . There are no leaks around stator plugs that I can see. Have been running sea foam in it and have cleaned throttle bodes . It was all very dirty .i hope this is more info in my quest to bring bike back to life.all help is very welcome and appreciate

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Pull the stator to rectifier plug apart and check for melting. You won't see it easily just looking at it untouched. You gotta pull the plug apart...if it ain't melted together. This alone will cause the issue you describe.

Take out your stick coils and check them. Use the manual and test them. Go through the electrical and test it all. Make sure everything is in spec.

These are some of the solutions for the problem you have described. You gotta check everything with a fine tooth comb. Some folks have let a 12 sit for years, and then put a battery and fresh gas in and bam, she fires and runs like she never sat. There is something going on electrically. Find and fix that and I bet your stumble and fuel issues go away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found oil in plug from stator to rectifier . Cut out plug seems to run better but still has low rpm bucking . Would be nice to find that problem.ive seen on here where other people have had same problem but I've not seen where anyone has solved it. Would be thankful for that information .

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm still thinking there is a problem with the level of charge getting through at low rpm and under load. If you haven't, try checking the stator output through the three wires coming from the stator, my thoughts are at least one of the stator phases may be burnt out. I'm NOT an auto-electrician, but just working through this problem with the limited experience I have had, given the similar symptoms.

For reference:

Stator: 3 phase AC
Stator Coil: 0.3 - 0.5 OHMS @ 20c
Alternator Output: 85 - 120V @ 4k RPM
Charging Voltage (Reg/Rec Output): 14.2 - 15.2V

Other option is, you have a small bird or furry animal stuck in the ram air!!:tard:

There are other MUCH wiser gentlemen on this site who may rightly correct me and give accurate advice.

Good luck.

Don.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts