Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 12R
Of all the streetbikes I've owned or ridden, the 12R's ('00-'01 anyway) are the most clunky shifting transmissions I've ever shifted.When I say "clunky", I'm referring to the way the tranny "BANGS" while shifting from 1st-3rd gears.

I recently rode a '99 6R and it is the complete oppisite of the 12R. It actually has the smoothest shifting tranny I've ever shifted. I've heard of 12R owners using 6R springs in their clutches. Is this for more positive clutch engagement or could it aide in smoother shifting.

I'm concerned that my tranny isn't going to have that long of a life expectancy if it continues to shift the way it does. Anyone know the cure?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?

I found that once I got used to it and after the break in period and being able to use Synthetic oil that it smoothed out quite abit.

I hope that helps,

·
Registered
468 Posts
with just over 7,000km my gear changing doesn't sound as bad as it did earlier on with the bike...however, it's not perfect! but i'm guessing when i change to synthetic with my next oil change that it should make it sound better (smoother changing of gears)...

:)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Iv'e never had a Kawasaki transmision feel as smooth as...say a Suzuki, or even a Honda. The above mentioned (synthetic and accumilated miles) will help but they will always feel more positive shifting than others. My advice would be this....ride a BMW or a Harley and then hop back on the kawi...it will then feel buttery smooth in comparison. Heavy fly wheels are partly to blame for this and I would imagine the 12 has a pretty hefty one.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Mine seems to do the same. Very ckunky compared to the ZRX. Have found if I'm accelerateing and shifting, keeping a load on the trans, it's a lot better. The worst is when I'm just lumbering along and decide to go up a gear.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I must say, that my 12R tranny is the most cantankerous I ever had to deal with.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 1400 miles on my 12 so I'll have to wait another 600 miles before I can try the synthetic oil. I've always considered synthetic a waste of money unless you race...until I rode my buds smooth-as-silk shifting 6r which uses synthetic.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone had success swapping 6R springs into their 12R?

·
Registered
468 Posts
my next oil change will be the motul 5100...currently running 3000 (mineral)...i'll see if that makes any difference :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nedragr said:
Mine seems to do the same. Very ckunky compared to the ZRX. Have found if I'm accelerateing and shifting, keeping a load on the trans, it's a lot better. The worst is when I'm just lumbering along and decide to go up a gear.

Yes!...That's EXACTLY what I'm experiencing.....makes you wonder how long can my tranny take this?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
:) :) I have had no troubles with my transmission.
I run full synthetic, but the best thing I did was to fit some Gilles rearsets, Smooooth! I can do clutchless gearchanges up and down at any RPM. The rearsets really made that much of a difference, so much that after a few of my friends tried it out, they all bought gilles for their bikes! (Blade, ZXR7/9R and a SP1)
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Look at it this way Venumb, OKD has 54,000 miles on his 12, and he pretty much rides the piss out of it, and she's held together just fine.

One thing I noticed right off the bat with my 12 is it does NOT like slow shifts. I've got my shifts to the point where to do them any faster I'd have to get an air or ign. cut out shifter. I don't necessarily mean I'm accelerating that hard, but I shift very fast, and the shifts are very, very smooth.

Try that once, I think you'll see what I mean. The clutch disengagement should last no more than about 1/2 second.

Also, the synthetic is the way to go, it definitely smoothed my tranny out some, and I have had zip, nada, none clutch slippage.

- Blitz

P.S. - Welcome to the site, man.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Add Me To The Clunky List

The only notchy or clunky shifting I had on my 2000 ZX-6R was when I dropped her into first at a light or something. My '01 12R clunks through the first 3 gears and I hate it!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Add Me To The Clunky List

superninja12R said:
The only notchy or clunky shifting I had on my 2000 ZX-6R was when I dropped her into first at a light or something. My '01 12R clunks through the first 3 gears and I hate it!!

Yup..I hate it too bro...that's why I'm trying to do something about it. 8) I'm gonna try the 6R springs and switch to synthetic...I'll keep y'all posted on how it works out for me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've had the 6R springs in for over 6 months & have been using 100% syn.oil for well over a year....bottom line is....The trans will "Clunk" in the first 3 gears if it's being ridden slow. (Below 5000 RPM)
But wick it up a bit & it doesn't sound or feel nearly as "Clunky" :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts