Kawasaki World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ride less than 1000 miles a season and use Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic..

I change oil just as I take the bike out of storage before riding every season, so I think changing the filter every 1000 miles is a little overkill?

What do you guys do? change it every alternate oil changes?

I often do clutchless shifts so do I get metal shavings in the filter?

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you change your oil due to the amount of time it has been in the bike and not because of mileage, You are doing so to rid moisture that can collect in the oil while sitting. I would change the filter also to make sure you get it all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, I will keep changing the filter with every oil change then..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not about the money.. I am just lazy and I thought that I can save maybe 15 mins not having change the filter everytime :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't think any member on here would recommend changing oil and not the filter(at least the ones in their right mind). If you are that cheap and or lazy maybe you should stick to four wheels.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Your wasting a good bike by not riding it enough.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You can make your used oil filter as good as new and save yourself a couple bucks by doing the following:

1) Remove the filter
2) Pour a bunch of sand in it
3) Reinstall the filter
4) Fill the oil and rev the motor to 5K rpm's for 10 minutes

This will solve your problem and save to the cost of an oil filter.

:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't think any member on here would recommend changing oil and not the filter(at least the ones in their right mind). If you are that cheap and or lazy maybe you should stick to four wheels.
I would recommend changing ghoul every year or 3,000 miles and changing the filter every other oil change. It's what I've always done and normally says that's the correct procedure in the manual,

Why would you not trust the manufacturers instructions ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can make your used oil filter as good as new and save yourself a couple bucks by doing the following:

1) Remove the filter
2) Pour a bunch of sand in it
3) Reinstall the filter
4) Fill the oil and rev the motor to 5K rpm's for 10 minutes

This will solve your problem and save to the cost of an oil filter.

:)
You shouldn't say things like that because there are some stupid people that would believe it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would recommend changing ghoul every year or 3,000 miles and changing the filter every other oil change. It's what I've always done and normally says that's the correct procedure in the manual,

Why would you not trust the manufacturers instructions ?
I don't understand why anybody would risk their engine for the cost of an oil filter. So you say you go 6k miles and 2 year between oil filter change? With these bikes having a wet clutch the filter is more prone to clogging and with the way the op said he does clutchless upshifts on a regular basis that makes it even worse. I don't know about everyone else but I change oil and filter after 1k of spirited riding (beating on the busas) I'll go longer if I've been easy to her. It's your bike your money do as you wish, but I sure as hell wouldn't risk it!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Kawasaki change the size of the filters to a standard large size now. I never understood why they chose to fit a smaller filter to start with. It's not exactly saving weight on an already heavy bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.