Kawasaki World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i probably know the awnser to this but sometimes its best to knock heads together,

i removed my old pads , sqeezed back the pistons fitted new galfer pads complete set left side and right,placed them on the disc finger tight the caliper bolts pumped the brake lever untill the pads were settled on the discs,then torqued tight the caliper mount bolts.
i knew id get a bit of rub however i have done thirty odd miles and they are still rubbing.if i put the front wheel on a paddock stand i struggle to turn the wheel.

suggestions,ideas?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Did you clean the pistons in the calipers? Could be that they are not moving back open enough when releasing the brakes.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sounds like maybe not all the pistons are free. If you take a flashlight can you see which side and which piston my be causing the or is it from both sides that they are dragging?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
......placed them on the disc finger tight the caliper bolts pumped the brake lever untill the pads were settled on the discs,then torqued tight the caliper mount bolts.
There's lots of ways to do brakes, but this one is a new one for me. I'd torque the calipers before touching the brake lever. If you're willing to invest a little time, then these procedures will give a very good result.....

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/50944-brake-check.html

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/4781-trick-bleeding-brakes.html

Here's a video that ninjayorkie linked up here a while back.....

Hope this helps...............:zxred:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Every days a school day.

Thanx for sharing Rundog :thumbup:

Fair play Ninjayorkie :thumbup:

Thanx Dave.

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,i just took the pads out re cleaned the pistons with a toothbrush apllied some brake fluid.pushed them right back.then put the pads back in torqued the calipers back on and then boom no binding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts