Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 00 which was built with a turbo system, 13 over arm, lockup clutch, air sshifter etc. The hitch was the PO went ahead and shoved a 10# spring in the wastegate with a 6# tune on it and lunched the top end of the motor. Seems like a lot of guys jumped on the zx14 bandwagon so there isn't many 12r turbo setups running around anymore. Anybody that has any knowledge to share please do!

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks like a worthwhile build. Good luck with it. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are a couple turbo 12 build threads in the turbo/nos section. You may want to read through them to see what pitfalls there are. After looking at your pictures it appears to me everything is there and you just have to put it back together with the newly acquired parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are a couple turbo 12 build threads in the turbo/nos section. You may want to read through them to see what pitfalls there are. After looking at your pictures it appears to me everything is there and you just have to put it back together with the newly acquired parts. Good luck.
I'll definitely be reading over those threads. The bike is going to come completely apart as the previous owners have beaten, abused and neglected this poor kawi. A lot of the wiring work was Tastefully done, but then it's blatantly obvious where the backyard mechanic got in there and started hacking things up.

Since this bike is unique I was able to track down original owner/builder. The insight into how everything is set up alone is priceless.

Going to get the motor back together with another top end and see if it sounds solid before anything else.

The bottom end felt as though the PO didn't hurt it but anything is possible.

Question for you guys..
Who sells heavy duty valve springs affordably? I don't want to go Kibblewhite just yet until i know the motor is solid

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
266 Posts
Check with Schnitz racing. I don't know of anyone else that sell any.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Welcome, wow big project!!! Will be awesome when you get the bad boy runnin. :thumbup:
APE, Muzzys, Carpenter Racing all sell a hi-po spring for the 12.
The APE is about 52 lbs seat pressure with no shims, depending on install height.
Carpenter 60 lbs and 65+ shimmed.
Muzzys high 50s with no shims. 65+ shimmed.

Agreed, there will be some crazy turbo cats to talk to shortly, I'm sure!

cmg

·
Registered
266 Posts
I noticed there are two sets of injector harness plugs... Any insight as to why?
We'll need pics to figure it out, but when this was leading edge technology the belief was that you needed 2 sets to accurately map the fuel for alot of configurations. The other set is probably mounted to the airbox covers or a rail that was assembled inside the airbox. These would be driven by an aftermarket computer like a Motec or something similar. The stock ZX12R injectors wouldn't have supported alot of horsepower, but you leave them in place and piggyback a second set and you're good to go for higher power applications.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We'll need pics to figure it out, but when this was leading edge technology the belief was that you needed 2 sets to accurately map the fuel for alot of configurations. The other set is probably mounted to the airbox covers or a rail that was assembled inside the airbox. These would be driven by an aftermarket computer like a Motec or something similar. The stock ZX12R injectors wouldn't have supported alot of horsepower, but you leave them in place and piggyback a second set and you're good to go for higher power applications.
They are the coil set. Sorry for paying half attention.

The bike has a pc3r on it... What addon is needed to read pressure in the intake?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, anybody know what fmu this is? I know it's meant for cars with blowers but can't tell what ratio it is

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to see ya made it over here Zeus. :mfclap: This will be a fun project to watch! :thumbup:
The ZX12R presence here is top notch... Glad you pointed it out.

Started tracing all the wiring to see where it all leads as the motor was out when i got it. Have to prep/fix the bodywork for paint as its been rattle canned.

Somebody left the headlight in the oven too long when they pulled the lens off to paint inside it.

I'll get some progress pics up but they will be slow to come as this is not a cheap project.

Sure do hope the bottom end and the lockup clutch are in good shape :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
A broken motor is one thing and it happens. But this poor soldier looks like it's been shoved outside and left in the weather for several months or years after the motor took a dump. Fixing the motor pretty straight forward. Fixing the unnecessary neglect caused by being treated like a red headed step child-----------------------> Mind Blowing!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A broken motor is one thing and it happens. But this poor soldier looks like it's been shoved outside and left in the weather for several months or years after the motor took a dump. Fixing the motor pretty straight forward. Fixing the unnecessary neglect caused by being treated like a red headed step child-----------------------> Mind Blowing!
I don't think the previous owner was very straight forward with how recently it was blown up.

1 - 20 of 539 Posts