Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first post here is my 02 zx12r will not turn over at all. I bought it a few weeks ago because damm its a good looking bike. I have been riding since i was a kid and have had a long list of bikes of all types. Now the bike has power everywhere and the battery takes a charge. When you turn it on and press the starter all you get is a tick tick tick. Now i figured the solenoid was bad so replaced that recharged the battery and still the same so its not that. Is there anything else i should be looking for. I bought it cheap and not running. the guy i got it from said he went to start it one morning and nothing. any help would be a good thing Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
This sounds like a weak battery. Even if it is fully charged the moment you press the starter button the starter motor wants more than your old battery can provide.
It wants Amps and your battery can't supply enough, so it pulls on voltage to make up for low amperage, this in turn pulls the voltage level so low that the starter solenoid disengages, the starter stops trying to turn the voltage level rises, and the prosses repeats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good idea. my neighbor has a bunch of bikes so will borrow a known good batt and give it a shot. Kinda rolling the dice with this bike could be an easy fix or a real pita. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
The draw on the battery from the starter is way more than lights and anything else. Tic-Tic from the solenoid is 99.9% a shot battery.

And remember - a failed battery (whether due to age or sulfide soldered plates) will take a charge and often light the lights fine. They don't have near the amperage draw of the starter.

Definitely swap for a known GOOD battery first step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, i figured the batt was good as everything electrical works even the horn. i but a boost on the batt while still hooked up and still the tick tick tick. checked all the fuses and lines everything seams normal. if not the batt are starters easy to find and replace on these bikes

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have heard that stripping and cleaning the starter motor can help when everything else is good.
I've never removed a starter motor from a zx12, but apparently, it's not too hard to do.
The motor itself is easy enough to strip apart and clean if a little fiddly, check the length of the brushes inside while you're cleaning the armature.
Don't drop it as there are magnets attached on the inside of the outer casing. I'm sure there are a few youtube videos on these, the zx9 one is very similar but not a direct swap.
Parts diagram here. Genuine Kawasaki Parts for Road Bikes | Cradley Kawasaki
The other probabilities are the ignition switch contacts or its plug, and the starter button contacts or its plug. These are always worth checking as dirty contacts cause voltage drops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts