Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone....Just got a 2000 zx12 and it had a host of issues. First I'll start with the mods list and then with the questions.

1270 Kit
K&N filter
Muzzy pipe
Billet clutch basket
PCIII
Air shifter (not hooked up)
Extended 6"
Race wheels (not sure of brand)
Shinko hook up

Just broke the trans, so my first question is where can I get new or used gears? Is there a need for billet gears? How much power will the stock trans hold?

Next question is my business partner is porting the head...What are real world gains you have seen from porting the head? Cam suggestions?

Any other mods I should do while its apart? Any feedback helps. We build drag cars, just getting into bikes.

Thanks guys, Dan.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Head porting is like 10 hp plus.It is the most important improvement new 1000cc and big bore bikes have from the factory.
Add hard welded cams and you're done,the 14r is a spot in your mirrors!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Head porting is like 10 hp plus.It is the most important improvement new 1000cc and big bore bikes have from the factory.
You are obviously talking about a stock, off the floor 14r.. right?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The wheels look like RC components.
If your drag racing the bike then send a good trans down to Mark at R&D Motorsports. Back cut, HD clips, good gears. A good used trans should be obtainable here or eBay. There are others who can do a few tricks for less $.
KZScott has a name or two.
CNC Competition or Carpenter Racing can port your head properly.
1mm oversize valves? Compression? Carpenter, muzzys, web cams, all make cams. Obviously match the right springs. You can run a stock intake cam on the exhaust side. Will need to set the sensor trigger.
You can run a 380 lift with stock pistons so shouldn't be a issue with your 1270.
Camshaft adjustable timing sprockets are a must. Good center lines of 105int/108 ex. I hav run 110/112. Peaky though.
ZX14R will eat your lunch.
But your 12 should run really good.
bike looks good.

cmg

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The wheels look like RC components.
If your drag racing the bike then send a good trans down to Mark at R&D Motorsports. Back cut, HD clips, good gears. A good used trans should be obtainable here or eBay. There are others who can do a few tricks for less $.
KZScott has a name or two.
CNC Competition or Carpenter Racing can port your head properly.
1mm oversize valves? Compression? Carpenter, muzzys, web cams, all make cams. Obviously match the right springs. You can run a stock intake cam on the exhaust side. Will need to set the sensor trigger.
You can run a 380 lift with stock pistons so shouldn't be a issue with your 1270.
Camshaft adjustable timing sprockets are a must. Good center lines of 105int/108 ex. I hav run 110/112. Peaky though.
ZX14R will eat your lunch.
But your 12 should run really good.
bike looks good.

cmg
What do you mean about the lobe centres Cmg ? tight lobe centre give a peaky power band , wide lobe centres give less total hp but wider power band /great with turbo's thow ..

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
What do you mean about the lobe centres Cmg ? tight lobe centre give a peaky power band , wide lobe centres give less total hp but wider power band /great with turbo's thow ..
Hi Maxumis!
The wide CL moves the powerband up into the upper rev range.
Tighter CL are for more low to mid range power. Generally speaking.
My stock bottom end 1199 with 111/112 CL made 204hp/90+lbs at 12k. But had nothing below 8k. I hav since moved the CL to 105/108. Looking for more low/mid grunt.
On the other hand my 1427 made power to 13K with 103/103.
So I think it is a matter of taking the time to tune the particular motor at hand.
Maybe "peaky" is the wrong word.

cmg

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Maxumis!
My stock bottom end 1199 with 111/112 CL made 204hp/90+lbs at 12k. But had nothing below 8k. I hav since moved the CL to 105/108. Looking for more low/mid grunt.
So I think it is a matter of taking the time to tune the particular motor at hand.

cmg
Yes,all 600 and 1000 race bikes have race cams like that,lower lift wider center lobe.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes,what else?

For moded 14r??Nope,maybe with nitrous!!
Your hard pressed to find a bone stock14r, that's what I mean. Even with a flash and slip-ons the14r will be out of reach. I love my12r and at one point that of doing the same thing but opted for the14r as a better investment.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hi Maxumis!

cmg
Thanks for your info Cmg . I have learnt something new .:thumbup:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Holy McF*ck! Look at the dogs on the 3rd gear main shaft. They're ramps. And I'm not talking about those tiny onions either.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Your fucking stoned.A stock 14r will eat that 1270 like a toy.I own both bikes.I just blew my 12r to fucking piece`s.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Your fucking stoned.A stock 14r will eat that 1270 like a toy.I own both bikes.I just blew my 12r to fucking piece`s.
I think your fucking stoned !! As has been proven there's 210 hp setup right with a big bore/head and cam work . :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think your fucking stoned !! As has been proven there's 210 hp setup right with a big bore/head and cam work . :thumbup:
go a head and waste your money.Your to cheap to buy the 1 # bike on the planet.Your living in denial just like the busa dorks.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
go a head and waste your money.Your to cheap to buy the 1 # bike on the planet.Your living in denial just like the busa dorks.
Get over your Little man ego you dopy piece of shit , the 14 would be the LAST bike I would ever own . Its just a big heap of mass spinning weight that a total cock sucker like your self can only go in a straight line with . PS your LITTLE cock sucking ass couldn't drop the bike into anything other than your SMS ego .:thefinger::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Get over your Little man ego you dopy piece of shit , the 14 would be the LAST bike I would ever own . Its just a big heap of mass spinning weight that a total cock sucker like your self can only go in a straight line with . PS your LITTLE cock sucking ass couldn't drop the bike into anything other than your SMS ego .:thefinger::thumbup:

maxumis,

This is not normally you,

Funny as you like though :rotflmao:

Thanx Dave.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well, I have both bikes. Still love my 12r, but I'm faster in curves in the14r. So I have to disagree with that comment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info guys....I really appreciate it. What kind of clutch do you suggest? 30% track, 70% street.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts