Kawasaki World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, how's everyone tonight? Tentative new member here eagerly awaiting my new (to me) ZX12R A2, on a 2004 UK plate. 14k miles.

Fingers crossed should be here on Saturday, and I'm peeing my pants with excitement :D

My previous bike history for those interested or not: Kawasaki ER6F, Kawasaki Z1000SX, Honda VFR1200, BMW S1000RR2011, BMW S1000RR 2016.

Currently in my mini fleet I have a 2004 Honda Fireblade and a 2002 GSXR1000.

find duplicate lines in text file online

find duplicate lines in text file online

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, this forum is great, a lot of knowledge scattered about, I'm up to page 72 of reading through threads :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, she was delivered today and had our first 40 miles. Very very impressed, ultra smooth, powerful and feels refined. Certainly hides the weight quite well once she is moving. The body is almost entirely brand new.

Not so good: the brakes aren't good at all. I think some new EBC HH and braided lines should do the trick, same for the rear brake.

Bad: there was a definite drip of oil from the left pillion footpeg which appears to be coming from the tail unit. I am therefore guessing the infamous oil creep up the stator wires, so I will need to deal with that via the chop off and solder method.

The only other thing which is an personal thing is that I miss a big digital speed display. I found myself staring at the clock going through speed cameras :p

Other than that it is an impressive machine, definitely would lose on takeoff to my S1000RR's of the past but I have no doubt would reel them in pretty fast top end too.

Now to give her a damn good clean and ACF50 treatment!

post passover period crossword

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Looks like it has a set of aftermarket rotors already.
Brake lines will really help.
Are you going to do a pipe and tune? The ole 12 will pick up some real good power if you do.

cmg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, if i can't make it stop quicker then I'll stick on my go to Brembo RCS19 master cylinder which has sorted out every other bike I have.

I think I'll keep it stock and gut the cat once it has passed the ULEZ (low emissions test in London) for a bit more noise. It came with a Quill Evo 2 should I find that the lack of noise is weird.

My fireblade really picked up some power just on a dyno tuned power commander (stock) so I may well follow that route once I get the stator oil thing sorted.

The only mark I can find on the whole bike is a chipped swingarm, so I'll get that off and powdercoated ASAP and then she will be flawless. What I really need is some nice weather ( UK) for a top speed run.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Gut the cat and block off the Kleen system. PCV and a good map will indeed make a very nice improvement. Very nice 12.
I’m lovin the tear graphics. Don’t see them often.

cmg

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I agree with cmg, those relatively easy mods will wake the bike up.
If you want you can put a 17T front sprocket on which will help with initial pickup.

Good job you've noticed the dreaded oil drip from the stator connector, if the bike is otherwise starting and running well, then it hasn't burnt out the stator yet (hopefully).
And agree on the fairing colour scheme.

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So today's task was sort out the oil running up the wiring. One of the connectors was dripping with oil, and the other I just couldn't get apart no matter what I tried. Any suggestions?

Due to the limited space because I can't separate the other connector I've made a right pigs ear of the splicing together....it looks shoddy and terrible..think I'll get an automotive electricians out to redo it. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
They can do that!
The other issue is where the oil wicks up the line - Kawasaki's initial "fix" for it was to provide a tube of glue/sealant to place in the wiring loom at the site of the wiring where it exits the stator cover. I don't think this was too successful, I didn't do that myself.

I personally have had lots of "joy" with stator replacements and wiring issues, some here have had good success with only having to replace the stator/rectifier connection with varying examples of soldering or crimping new connectors.

Have you taken the stator cover off to inspect the phases on the stator for burn out? (blackening or darkening of the resin/wiring in one or more sections).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Duck00, I'm not going to inspect the stator I don't think, the invoice says it is about 6 months old so should be good, I'll keep it until it craps out.

I personally like the look of the 6 pots. I replaced the same brakes on my GSXR1000 K2 with Nissin's and that's a night and day change, but I think I can definitely make it work better than they already do. I just changed the pads for EBC HH's which should make a good difference. If not then I'll have a look at the master cylinder, possibly put in a Brembo RCS, I've had a lot of luck with stock brakes by changing the master cylinder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Might I suggest upgrading the pads to the EBC EPFA road race pads if you REALLY want a big improvement with the brakes. I still use the stock hoses but those pads make endos on the 12 a breeze. As for digital speedo, you could always get one of these, graft it into the cluster and bam, you got a almost 20 year old bike with modern tech. Might i add the speed reading on that is GPS too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts