Kawasaki World banner

Ninja 250 turbo

12K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  hellboy7 
#1 · (Edited)
I am building a ninja 250 turbo. The nitrous bike is working really well. And I want to play with the latest fuel injection systems and also go really fast at Bonneville. So I am building this science project.

Specs
Ecotron fuel injection system
2001 front frame and fork
2008 swing arm
17 inch wheels
No front break
1.5 gallon tank
265cc 2009 250 ninja engine
VZ-21 turbo
Bell inter cooler
Rear mounted radiator
1000 GPH electric water pump
Extended swing arm
Custom made plenum and intake system
Custom made exhaust
Air tech from and rear bodywork

I hope to have the bike ready for the summer in Ohio 2014.

Not much time and a huge amount af time an money I don't have. But this is how far I have gotten. Most of the bike is made from leftover parts. So I have very little invested in it.

I did buy the turbo and fuel system.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It seems like a good project to fit a turbo on a bike but I have to ask, WHY a 250? The time and expense just doesn't seem like a 250 is the right bike to do it too, imho

Now do it to a 600 or larger and at least you have some resale value to recoop some of the labor and expenses

Lou

#6 · (Edited)
Simple answer land speed racing. I have been racing a 250 ninja since 2008. I have the worlds fastest 250 ninja. And have had a lot of fun racing the bike.

Long answer. Two strokes have dominated the smaller classes for a long time. I would like to see a two stroke 250/350 record fall to a four stroke.

As for money. I don't have any and probably never will. I spend what I have on motorcycle racing the rest goes to waste. No one will buy this junk when I am done with it.

#11 ·
The fastest 250 ninja speed is 123.something . Next is Shiphtee at 122. Then me again at 121.
Then the little Kawasaki that went to Maxton did 119 . All those speeds are nitrous

A turbo went 121 at Bonneville and 113 at Maxton.

All motor there is a 117 pass from the little Kawasaki that went to Maxton
Also Shiphtee went 112 and I went 112 on the motor. After that is everyone else.

Production stock speeds are under 110. And the stock bikes that show up run close to 100 mph.
These speeds are all documented with time slips. I guess there are faster speeds. Like coming off bank tracks or downhill. But these are the speeds that have time slips.

#13 ·
The right ratio turbo will work , tiny turbine wheel and housing to get it to spool and an adequate compressor side to top it off . Saying that it is hard to get the "perfect" ratio with that size engine...but upping the comp/methanol style of fuel will help .All the best to you RX , sounds like you know what you are doing.:thumbup:

#14 · (Edited)
Getting the turbo to spool is hard on these engines. Since I plan to race at Bonneville. 5000 feet above sea level I also have thin air to deal with.
I put the little vz21 turbo right up close to the head. And I will use relitivly high compression and low boost as a set up to start with.

RACE grade E85 is possible. But I will start with c16 from VP

Attachments

#15 ·
Very cool.

Gotta have the timeslip otherwise it's just talk!!

I had a 250 at one time (bought for my wife who never rode it).

Mine would not have been even at 100!
Of course it was not exactly in new condition either.

Good luck to you, maybe we'll see you in Ohio sometime?

#19 ·
There is an order to putting this together. First I have to find the right seating position. Because I will not be using a fairing this is critical. So that is first. Then big stuff like battery and intercooler and radiator all need to find d a fixed location. After that hoses have to run around things and flow properly. Then finally the wiring. There will be lots of wiring.

Attachments

#23 ·
not to start and chaos but me thinks Racer X 9623 = Shiphtee
i remember him well back a few years ago when i sold my 12
i wasn't around when he went to band camp but just seems uncanny
I'm sure its just my mind playing tricks on me though

Good luck on your quest

#24 ·
Hahaha. I am two shiphtees. I weigh close to 200 lb.

Actually ,We are friends and I have used RNR cycles since 2009. He is running a 14 now and going to bring out the 250. I had 121mph. Then he went 122. Now I have 123 mph and we just dynoed over 60 HP on my 250. So he will be back to chase the record.

#27 ·
I don't say that to brag. If anyone has a faster 250 ninja then I hope they will say so. It's all in fun anyhow.

I was fastest in 2009 for all of Saturday. Then Sunday I was Second. Then in 2010 I was fastest for all of September. Then Shiphtee broke the record. I took the title back at the end of 2012 and I am suprised no one went faster this year. I attribute that to the economy mor than anything else.

#29 ·
I am using the VZ-21. Its the one from EBay. That is the size of a coke can. There are a number of reasons for this. The other choice is the Garrett GT 12. But I wanted the smallest turbo I could find and I need parts also. The Garrett is over 700 dollars. I can get the VZ-21 for 300. So I will see how bit goes with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.