Kawasaki World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Good point, I don't think I ever did a write-up, but I would think is the same as whatever the manual says.
I made them that way so you could put the meter probes between the test point inner contact and the plastic sleeve this way you don't have to hold the meter probes in.
Without the engine running, I would disconnect the test lead from the main loom and do a resistance check through the TPS while opening the throttle slowly, this way if the readings start to really jump about, you will know the contacts inside the TPS are worn out. Then reconnect the main loom and do voltage checks as per the manual.
That's just a quick explanation, I will have to research the service manual and check wire colors and values for a more informative tutorial. Later.

Reactions: color me gone

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. I had to piece the tbs together from a bunch of scraps. Didn’t even think of the resistance check.

cmg

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just found a folder with pictures, but remember this is for a B4 so your values may be slightly different. It seems I'm not very good at loading pictures, Picture 1 is at the bottom so start there.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Going to break out the meter and see if I can get the tps in the right spot.

checking resistance is with throttle closed? Or open? Or both?

voltage is checked closed and then wide open?

Very much appreciated.

cmg

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've heard and read for your bike people set it to 1.16 volts engine off, 1.086 volts standard.
As for Wide Open Throttle, I've no idea.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So...
Only had a few moments to tinker a bit. Lots of info in the manual. I need to sit down and read again.
Just did a quick test. Nyorkies harness made it a snap to do. Excellent.

Book Font Material property Publication Paper
Font Motor vehicle Vehicle Parallel Automotive design

these are the two test I ran.

Gadget Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Display device

resistance. Brown/black...blue/white. 5ohms.
The range is 4-6

now voltage.
Light Communication Device Gadget Line Audio equipment

this is my stock 12. Tb has been on it from day one.
I rode it yesterday and it was idling nice when I shut it off. Harness and custom diagnostic harness plugged in. Key on. 1.026Volts.
1.07Volts is spec.

wide open
Communication Device Gadget Line Font Display device

4.61Volts is spec.

do I have a problem??

need to look at everything closer when I get more time.

cmg

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm no TPS expert as I've not adjusted mine on my B4 I just wanted to check it, and the test lead I bought from Kawasaki had the wrong plug on one end but still worked. I thought I could get the right plug. Unfortunately, it's easier to get the plugs in lots of 5 so that's why I made extra sets, and then decided to make some for the A's and early B's as they have larger plugs, plus the test leads are no longer available.

As for your values and with the test leads, it's going to be easy to make the lower value higher, which might increase the higher one.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost 5v going into the tps from ecu.

Plant Product Communication Device Gadget Font

so I changed the tps set the closed position at 1.07v.
The wot measurement of 4.23v was identical to the original one. So nothing wrong with the tps. Bike runs fine. Just wanted to check and use the custom harness. The value of 4.61v is wot spec. I wonder what is causing the discrepancy.

cmg

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I jumped over to my 1287. The tbs were cobbled together from spare parts. With the bike hot and idle close to 1000rpm I set the tps with the multimeter.
1.07v closed. 5v going into the tps from the ecu.
But once again only 4.23v wot.
I changed to a stock ecu. Again only 4.23v.
spec at wot is 4.61v.
So, two bikes, 3 throttle position sensors, 3 ecus
and 2 PC5s all displaying 4.23v at wot.
Going to run with it. Lol

Thanks again ninjayorkie.

cmg

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's been a good thread with some good info, which I'm sure other people will find helpful, so thank you too.

For anyone who wants the original thread, here's the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts