Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
So now when the DVLA screws up and the Police take your bike you won't even be able to prove you're paying it monthly :rolleyes:
sounds about right does that ,damn annoying as i have just yesterday brought a new quality tax disc holder :headscratch:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still not enough of a "improvement" to the system in IMHO. It is still an unfair method of calculating the cost , it should be based on usage - the more you use / pollute the more you pay like it is with most things in life. Johny rep in his new 318d is forking out £40 per year to do his 20k per year whilst I am paying £280 to do around 4k per year in my 11 year old Saab, a little unfair in my book.

I cant afford to purchase a new £25k + Eco efficient car so once again I will loose out on the benefits.

Kendo

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
We already have a tax system proportional to road usage in the form of fuel duty. In my opinion it is way too high, but it is fair as the more miles you do the more you pay.
The Road Fund Licence is, and always was a farce. It only serves to annually check if you have a current MOT and Insurance. Nowadays this is all on computer so the checks could be done daily if they wanted. Even though it is all on record when you've paid, they can still give you an almighty fine for not showing a poxy bit of paper, glad that is going!
The tax disc is a relic from the past but they still want to keep the revenue on top of the fuel duty and the VAT on the fuel duty and the tax on the insurance etc... bastards. The only benefit we'll get is losing the threat of fine for failure to display. :angry:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Problems
You will have to keep track of when its due, as you cant just look at you screen / holder.

you will have to print off proof and keep it on you to show the police that you have paid and that the computer is wrong .... yet again.

Put more people out of work ... making tax disc holders

They may as well go all out and put it on the fuel that way like you have said the more you use the more you pay
the bad side to that is the 12 uses loads of petrol LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
They may as well go all out and put it on the fuel that way like you have said the more you use the more you pay
Seems the fairest way , but when has the word "fair" become part of the governments vocabulary, thinking pole tax and bedroom tax here. Plus it would stop the non-payers which is something that they seem to are trying to achieve so it is a win - win situation for everyone as it would let me buy my E63 AMG Merc.

Kendo

·
Registered
239 Posts
Seems the fairest way , but when has the word "fair" become part of the governments vocabulary, thinking pole tax and bedroom tax here. Plus it would stop the non-payers which is something that they seem to are trying to achieve so it is a win - win situation for everyone as it would let me buy my E63 AMG Merc.

Kendo
Why would not having to display a tax disc let you buy an E63 AMG merc ?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why would not having to display a tax disc let you buy an E63 AMG merc ?
He could save half a grand every year if they abolished the actual tax not the paper disc, putting all road taxation on fuel duty. If he's only doing low mileage it would make ownership cheaper.
He's in Scotland though. I'm surprised Salmond hasn't promised to abolish road tax to convince independence voters how much better off they will be. If he's not mentioned it, look out! He could double it the day after the Scots pull up their draw bridge and reality sets in. :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
He could save half a grand every year if they abolished the actual tax not the paper disc, putting all road taxation on fuel duty. If he's only doing low mileage (<4k PA)it would make ownership cheaper.- Correct Shep, these big high emission cars will be over £1000 PA to tax in the near future rendering them worthless
He's in Scotland though. I'm surprised Salmond hasn't promised to abolish road tax to convince independence voters how much better off they will be. If he's not mentioned it, look out! He could double it the day after the Scots pull up their draw bridge and reality sets in.- This independence nonsense is not for me as I fail to see how we could support ourself , long term. Anyone I know with a brain is voting NO , the scary thing is there are people without a brain that are believing the B/S that is spoken
There are people in poverty that are struggling to feed their families and old folk too scared to put on their heating in the winter as it is too expensive which I would see as a priority rather than some William Wallace freedom shit.

Just my opinion though.

Kendo

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
On another side
I would be easier to get away without paying Road tax.
As before they could see if you hadn't paid
when the change comes they will have to check by Number plat
So if you have the wrong plat not only do you get away with any speeding but also Tax too LOL
bet they would jail you though LOL

·
Registered
239 Posts
More and more of the police cars will get the ANPR camera's, if you have the wrong plate and they realise, they'll pull you straight away.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They don't have to check the vehicle at all! You don't even have to be driving it!
You have a three choices when the tax is due for renewal...
1) Renew it
2) Declare the vehicle off road - SORN
3) Expect to be fined automatically whether your driving the vehicle or not.

If the bike is in your garage, untaxed and you haven't SORN'd it. You could be in bother. There is a grace period but I can't remember how long it is.
:scared:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts