Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 zx12r won't start, actually when turning key to ignition, fuelpump won't even prime. While cranking FI led blinks continuously, I think that is not normal?? Battery is good and start motor runs strong.

There are no error codes, in service mode FI led is on continuously (normal?).

Is there anything else than vehicle down sensor that could prevent fuel pump to prime? Did I read service manual correctly that 0.4-1.4V output from sensor means bike is up?

I disconnected gear sensor wiring, start motor did not run but FI led blinks as gear sensor was connected. I'm thinking because of this problem could not be cam or crank sensors?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is it possible you are not triggering the service mode? Repeat the process until it works. Make sure you are hitting a good ground. If there is an fi light there is a code. I sometimes have trouble getting into service mode. Try to start it with kickstand up and clutch pulled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's not possible, service mode is triggered correctly. In beginning there was error code from open connector, but now there are none; in service mode FI led is continuously on.

Kickstand up or down, no difference.

What clutch pulling does, there are no clutch switch that goes to ecu?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I changed fuel pump to my 2000 A1 last summer, it didn't prime and FI was continuously on.
Didn't even try to start when I didn't hear the sound from the pump..

In-tank pumps might have problem with the filter clogging(right term?) that will eventually break down the pump.
Best guess is to empty the tank and test the pump on table.

I changed mine to Walbro GSS242/Muzzy pump but cannot tell sure that'd be suitable for 2003 model. (Also had to take it for custom mapping, was running lean after change.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi,

if i remember correct the f1 light comes on if there is a problem with the fuel injectors not opening or one or two not opening, and relates to the pressure regulator and associated relays

you'll probably find the motor turns over but doesn't start, if i remember correctly if the bike was in gear, and or side stand not up and clutch lever not pulled in when you go to press the starter button (working correctly) it should do nothing ie starter should not turn which would indicate the switches are working as they should.

check the obvious first fuses , then the relay relating to the fuel system/injectors. and go from there.

you could take the injectors out and put them in a safe receptacle(all safety measures taken due to working with petrol etc) and try cranking it over briefley to see if the injectors are spraying.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have just checked the manual if you have got one it gives you a step by step what to check for hen the f1 light is on

It is a really good flow chart (granted the manual is for the 2000 a1 model ) but i would assume the wiring and set up is the same across the range of zx12r's (i could be wrong) but if you can get the manual if you haven't already for your year model bike.

after check all individual part that it says to check on the flow chart and all components check out ok, it stems back to the problem being a faulty ecu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem... Solution for me was the plug that went to the clutch switch had come loose. Plugged back in and the bike started.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had same issue, but as engine was in car I did not need vehicle down sensor. I just cut the three wires and then soldered a 1K 1/2watt resistor between ground and the centre wire. Hey Presto!!
When I checked the Hall effect sensor it was giving an output of .75volts regardless of position i.e. it appeared correct, but wasn't!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts