Kawasaki World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by far not very mechanically oriented. I can admit it. I am noticing oil leaking from what I think is the gasket seal around the cylander head cover. It only leaks from the left side and I only notice it after riding. As riding at high speeds I noticed it is kind of sprayed out by the wind on to the fairing. Is it a major overhauling to have this gasket replaced? Is it costly? Is there any simple fixes? Would it hurt to just make sure it always has a good oil supply and just ignore it? The amount of oil leaking isn't much, but it is noticable on the fairing after almost every high speed ride. My friend's 12 does the same thing, but he just ignores it. Help anyone.
Jayz

·
1,567 Posts
Jay, whats up man??

had a VERY similar problem on my 12 after the valve check was done by a local shop. Turned out they had stripped one of the valve cover blots on the right side of the bike, and the gasket was dirty.

I would check the tightness of those bolts (14 inch Lb's I think, double check in the shop manual)

If the are to spec I would pull the cover and reseal it with a very light coat of Blue RTV (make a gasket, oil resistant)

The whole job should take you an afternoon. or as the Barbarian would say "about a six pack" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps.

-Will

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Will,
I will check the torque on the bolts. I figured it would be an afternoon Job, or more like a month long thing for me. How hard is it to get to the cover to take it off? What all is involved? I would like to get it done before spring gets hear. I already have the gas tank up from taking my filters out, so anything else I can do while I'm in there I want to do it.
Later Jayz

·
1,567 Posts
I already double checked the torque spec (87 In lbs).

Do you have a Shop manual???

anyway, to get valve cover off:

-pull left and right fairings
-remove throttle and quick idle cables from right side of throttle body (TB).
-label and remove TPS connection (left side of TB)
-Label and remove pressure sensor connector (above TPS)
-remove stick coils
-remove rubber cover from top of valve cover
-unless you have small hands like me, remove the clean air canister.
-remove the 8 (I believe 12mm) shallow headed hex bolts.
-remove valve cover
-remove gasket and inspect for nicks and cracks (replace if nessesary)
-clean all sealing surfaces
-apply RTV to top and bottom of gasket
-reverse removal steps to re-install.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Will,
I do have a shop manual. I will look into it for further detail. The way you broke it down doesn't sound to complicated. Guess I'll add it to my list of things to do. It is never ending, but I guess that's why they call it a full time hobby.
later Jayz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil leak

If your engine oil is even a little bit overfilled, and you ride hard, oil will end up in the airbox, then, when the bike is on the side stand the oil runs across to the left rear corner of the airbox and leaks out at the bottom of the hole thru the frame for the drain pipe, (because Kawasaki could'nt get the welding rod in under there). The oil drips out the hole under the pipe and appears to be coming from the Rocker area. (That's what happened to my bike coming off the dyno anyhow. Check that before pulling the rocker cover etc. Hope it helps.

·
1,567 Posts
Re: Oil leak

oldgeezer said:
If your engine oil is even a little bit overfilled, and you ride hard, oil will end up in the airbox, then, when the bike is on the side stand the oil runs across to the left rear corner of the airbox and leaks out at the bottom of the hole thru the frame for the drain pipe, (because Kawasaki could'nt get the welding rod in under there). The oil drips out the hole under the pipe and appears to be coming from the Rocker area. (That's what happened to my bike coming off the dyno anyhow. Check that before pulling the rocker cover etc. Hope it helps.
Never heard of that, but it makes sence. Thanks for the knowledge 8) 8)

BTW: welcome :D :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old G-
Thanks for the info, I have seen traces of something like oil in the air and past the filters, but it is just traces and I thought it might have been some oil off the of the filters themselves. I think Quickwilly has the solution and I got a PM about another thing I need to check.
Jayz

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed the same problem with mine just last week. mines a 2003 and i've only got 2550 miles on it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil

Hi guyz new here! I think now i stand relief i have the same problem on my 12R from 2005. Its not new.. i have 14.000 miles on it .it runs like a charm ..but the stupid me when i bought the bike i checked everything except the left side of the cylinder block exactly where the rubber seal is . ..now i noticed is leaking a bit of oil..and everytime i am travelling with a bottle of motorex oil in my bag being afraid that the level will drop from the oil tank..
So u say its not a big deal ..in worst case just to change the seal.?! I am not much of a mechanic..but the mechanics in UAE ar as dumb as cows and i dont trust them.And i would like to do it myself..
Short story: last time i went for an oil change .....and when i did the next oil change myself ..they overtightened the oil filter sooo much ...that i was afraid that the last option would be to cut it down from there ..so this is how they're rollin here with bikes.
One advice for the zx12 owners : i had this feedback from previous owners of zx12.. be careful guys when loading the first 2 gears when ur running high RPM ...u can easily damage the sprockets inside the gearbox ..its a kawasaki problem...they are VERY sensitive..
thnx for the posts ride safe everyone ..and take care of ur bikes and accidents free :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jay, whats up man??

had a VERY similar problem on my 12 after the valve check was done by a local shop. Turned out they had stripped one of the valve cover blots on the right side of the bike, and the gasket was dirty.

I would check the tightness of those bolts (14 inch Lb's I think, double check in the shop manual)

If the are to spec I would pull the cover and reseal it with a very light coat of Blue RTV (make a gasket, oil resistant)

The whole job should take you an afternoon. or as the Barbarian would say "about a six pack" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps.

-Will
I have that exact same issue going on now, I had local shop couple years back to a valve cover check and I believe they used some generic valve cover gasket because they don't normally work on 12's and it was there for a dyno and couple other things at the time. I'm looking to order an OEM Replacement Gasket, Wheel Bearings & a new Tire since I got a nail in an essentially new tire since the last time I rode in early Sept 2010. Time to get her back on the road for 2011 just started her up last nite for the first time since then & she's still a beast!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
valve cover leak.. pretty common thing on zx12r. i have it in mine too.. i found the solution, don't put any oil in the engine!! j/k

·
Registered
810 Posts
vlave cover "gasket" (its really a big long o-ring) leak.

welcome to owning a 12. (once you pull the valvecover, just r2 the gasket, they never want to seal again, no matter how well you clean them)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the SAME problem, noticed it, then removed my left fairing & it was all in the inside. Mine was the seal, not a hard fix if you know what you are doing.

·
Super Moderator
4,324 Posts
Here's what mine looked like. It leaked in the middle and runs to the left side when leaned over on the stand.
For what it 's worth, I removed mine, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, put a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper High-temp RTV silicone gasket maker on both sides and haven't seen a drop of oil since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is pretty extensively reported by a few already. I had the same issue at the last (my first) valve adjustment. Cheaped out and tried to re-use the valve cover gasket, not going to work unless you RTV it in on both sides, order an OEM gasket and when you get it and compare it to what is/was in there it will all make sense. Order the spark plug gaskets and cam sensor gasket and replace them all and you won't have to go back in (unless you want to go DIY and RTV it all in all around). I had a few small leaks around the plugs and cam sensor before valve lash, then a good leaker from the valve cover after reassembly. After buttoning everything up minus the plastic found the big leaker on the valve cover gasket (figure the small plug leaks would be satisfied with proper torquing, and never saw the cam sensor leak - more like gooey mix of oil and silicone, went back in, replaced all the above seals (yamalube) the valleys for the cams (and the cam sensor) and it was all a thing of the past. I recall it sucking paying like $150 in gaskets but all the oil is inside the motor now. The gasket that was in the bike was very hard, shiny, and thin. The OEM replacement was very thick, supple, and soft and sealed everything perfectly.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Let me see if I can go on line and ask a simple, yet common sense question? Ear Goes...

... Say guys? WOTs up and hacks watt die due. Hatrick say I got a question. I got a hell of an oil leak and I sure want it to catch fire on my bike.

Hey whack, WATT's wit you dis time? You bark the bolts down on a failed leaking gasket? The wrinkle finally exposes itself like round and r0und she goes, here comes a leaky dike someone stick a finger in there as you ride!

Say, hanks say lot say I stripped my bolt you said tighten see what happens like I got a stiff, hard, rubber gasket now it's no longer supple. I say hanks say lot for the advice. I'll be pouring in oil so you know...

... Hey, WATT smells? Shoe smell fire I'd be running in them!

Your resident whackpackage is looking in and now who questions what THE... is going on here, guys&gals? :crackup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts