Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was sent to me via JP, he cannot post right now from the road:

Here is the info:
My brother got the call so the info is second hand as I am in N. California.
THere is a recall because of an electrical + oil leak causing fires.(sounds like old oilleak post minus fires part)
I do not know if it is a 03 specific thing and Kawasaki will not answer until monday my message. I was wondering if anyone else got the call and what the specifics of the recall is?

Just wanted to keep you '03 boys apprised of the situation.

JP, please update this when you get back/logged in.

Thanks, Blitz.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My guess is that its the stator wire/oil in the connector thing. I cleaned mine out today and then dried out the connector real well. After I put it all back together, I reconnected the crankcase mod I had disconnected a few months back. I'll bet the crankcase mod vacuum will be enough to prevent the oil going up the wires again. Its worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: Possible '03 Recall

blitzkrieg said:
...I do not know if it is a 03 specific thing and Kawasaki will not answer until monday my message. I was wondering if anyone else got the call and what the specifics of the recall is...
I was notified Friday( by my local Kawi dealer) that my bike ('01 ZX-12R) is effected by this recall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I checked on Buykawasaki.com for recalls and my 2000 ZX12R has an open recall which reads:

Outstanding Recall Repair:OIL SEEPAGE FROM ALTERNATOR LEAD CONNECTOR

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Checked and saw the same for my VIN number... The 03 is for sure my buddy works at the local shop and told me about it last night at the club....

·
4,208 Posts
Checked my vin as well...I have the recall posted as well........Not only has Kawasaki done the job in the past ..with their so called "new and improved" harness ..and I have the leak occuring again......But those bastards Never Updated My extended warrantee info which I have paid for..........WAY TO GO TEAM GREEN!!!....Wanna take bets this turns into an ordeal?....Brian

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine is an 02 model and it is on there also.
Kawasaki aint so bad after all.

Warranty Status
Vin: JKAZX9B1X2A000***
Your warranty expires on 02/25/2003.
Your Good Times Protection Plan expires on 02/25/2006.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my 02 is there also

but Kawasaki never wrote me why?

is this a major job to fix?

will they just give me the parts and let me put them in?

sorry I don't trust bike shops too well

Ed,

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
http://www.zx-12r.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8684

Well, was our voices finally heard? Maybe we played a part in this.
I filed several complaints with Kawasaki, I know now that this website
was heard. Nothing was done for 2 years until we brought attention to this problem. Sorry for all the guys who paid out of pocket for this. Kawasaki finally ackowledges this is a serious problem.

Good Job ZX-12R.org

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dudes,

What's this about an oil leak, I have seen you guys talking about it a bit. I can't seem to go onto that link Mark it keeps crashing my browser!! :shock:

So is this recall for all models, what the problem as well. I wasn't aware of any leaks on my bitch but I would like to know what it is so I can either get it sorted or watch out for it. :D

Cheers dudes!!

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
hmm, the link works fine for me....

but go here....

Click on the Sticky topic: "New Members...Please Check Here For Hot Topics"

the oil leak thread is in there.

and yes...it is for all model years from what I understand

·
Registered
47 Posts
What does the recall actually do.? How long does it take? What work do they do on the bike? Have not noticed any oil leaking yet, though I haven't looked for it. Have over 4000 miles on it. My 2002 red one aslo has the recall notice on the Kawa website when I put in my VIN #. Never got a mailing. Thanks all for posting this.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
We were at the stealer Saturday and my friend was back talking to the idiots, oops I mean service people and they said that was now a recall item. We have recieved nothing in the form of notification about this either. Now they just need to do a recall on the clutches for the 2000 models. :?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Soungs like its all of 'em, mine got tagged too.

Warranty Status
Vin: JKAZX9A15YA0*****
Your warranty expired on 06/28/2002.
Outstanding Recall Repair:TIRE VALVE LOCK NUT CRACKING

If anybody finds out what they do, please post it, because I avoid taking my bike to the shop at ALL costs.... :x

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Got a notice in the mail today for a recall on alternator lead connector. Said it will consist of sealing the lead wires and will take 1 1/2 hours. No charge.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I had already had my bike in and had this fixed under warranty...
I have not received anything in the mail...

Here's what the Kawasaki website says on mine....

Warranty Status
Vin: JKAZX9B1**********
Your warranty expires on 04/19/2003.
For additional years of worry free riding, you can purchase our Good Times Protection Plan. If purchased today, this extended coverage would cost $484.00 for 24 months, $594.00 for 36 months, $704.00 for 48 months.
Information about our Good Times Protection Plan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I spoke with the mechanic at the kawasaki shop. It is not an official recall on my bike yet. He was saying that they need to have an MC number. I showed him on buykawasaki.com the recall and he still said it was not official for my bike yet. Guess I will have to wait for the mailer to get to me. I had just bought my bike when I found this web site and the posting of the oil in the line was on. I wasn't sure if I had bought hte right bike. Then I rode it and everything is going to have a little glitch.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts