Kawasaki World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v been searching and reading old posts but still have questions. I am just going to list a few question and hope for some informative responses. Here I go:

1. I just bought a silver 01 ZX-12R for $8950. It had 600 miles on it and has only 2 very very small scratches on the muffler only. The bike is other wise just like new. Beautiful bike!!!!! Is the $8950 a good price for the bike??

2. I opted for the 4 year Kawasaki extended warr., $0 deductable for $715. Is this reasonable??and is this necessary??? I have the extended warr. on my truck and felt I needed it, but I wasn't sure about the bike.

3.Is it possible to polish out the scratches on the stock "titanium" muffler? I dont think this is possible but I thought I would still ask.

4. Which slip on pipe is the best to get? If I cant get the scratches out of the muffler I will probably get an aftermarket pipe. I dont want to have to any kind of re-mapping or tuning and otherwise the bike will remain stock for awhile. Just want to rid of the scratches.

5. How often should I check oil? Do thse bikes use (consume) much oil between changes? Any other maintnance issues?

6. The bike has had one oil change at 600 miles and is still being broke in. Should I just follow the break in directions in the manul or do I drive it like I stole it. This is a real important question for me. Hate to break something.

7. Any special cleaning tipps? Power/high pressure wash or not? Wax?

8. Shifting without the clutch. This is OK right?? I have a hard time hanging on when using the clutch while hammering down on it. :D

9. Final question and probably the dumbist question. How do you keep the inside of your helmet (visor) from fogging up? Its a Shoei helmet BTW Man this is giving me big problems :cry: LOL. Please no flames :D

·
4,208 Posts
hmm ill answer what I can.....forget the slip on go full get a power commander at a later date thats all.........price sounds good as long your your happy..........ext warr .....good idea.....its peace of mind and a good price.....scratches light sand...1200 grit and lotsa water than polish with flitz...continue to follow break in ...oil consumption....NONE..and the only dumb question is one you dont ask......Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Prestone- No fog, works pretty good on the foggy visor situation. Just be sure to apply it evenly as directed. Or you'll get out on the road and will quickly realize which spots you missed.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I agree with Epstein on all his answers.....

One of the great things about the silver is they always appear clean,
this is not the case with the PMB, it shows every smudge you get..

The Rain-X anti fog works pretty good, I usually leave mine open slightly
to get some air, and I rarely have in fooging issues.

And don't worry about flames, we are not like that over here :wink:

Hang around, you'll like it here....

·
1,567 Posts
For paint care follow the useres manual for washing the bike then apply the three steps of Zainos polish/wax (I should be a rep for Zainos, as much as I plug the product). Its great stuff and brings out a DEEP luster to any good paint surface.

Sims1957 just put some on his bike and he loves it

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I am a staunch believer in proper break-in. As you probably know you don't want to run up the break-in miles droning at the same speed.

Vary the speed alot (your favorite twisty country road is ideal break-in turf) and don't be afraid to load the motor down up to the rpm limits. It helps seat the valves.

You have too many miles for heat cycling it, so hopefully the first owner knew what he was doing there.

As Ep said above, personally, I would just save your money until you can (or want to) afford a full system (search here on "exhaust" for opinions).

Consider the Corbin (seat) for your first change.

The parachute on the 12 HAS to go, or you will get severely criticized here after about 3 months! You have a plethora of options on that, and about all of us have been through it, and can guide you.

And last but not least, don't be afraid to ask questions here. Dollars to donuts there isn't a question you can ask here that can't be answered correctly in short order.

Also, peruse the archives, there is good info there.

- Blitz

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmmmm

You really need fhe full system , PCIIIr and remap. Made a big difference on my '01. Get that damn mud flap off and install an integrator. As far as the foggy visor, it's perfectly understandable to breath heavily when you first get on a 12. Pulse quickens a bit, nervous perspiration, quivering hands, woody...I, I, I mean it's exhilerating isn't it? You might try a Fog City stick on for the inside of the visor, I use Shoei's RF900 and that's what works for me. They're about $15. Peace.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Hmmmm

Speednuts said:
You really need fhe full system , PCIIIr and remap. Made a big difference on my '01. Get that damn mud flap off and install an integrator. As far as the foggy visor, it's perfectly understandable to breath heavily when you first get on a 12. Pulse quickens a bit, nervous perspiration, quivering hands, woody...I, I, I mean it's exhilerating isn't it? You might try a Fog City stick on for the inside of the visor, I use Shoei's RF900 and that's what works for me. They're about $15. Peace.
i'll second the fog city and say that it's a great investment...HOWEVER, it does suck at night times with the normal streetlights as it makes then GLARE :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not sure which Shoei you have, but when I got the Z-II this year, I had severe fogging problems especially in the rain or damp cold.
Tried No-fog, to no avail.

This weekend I installed the breath guard and chin guard. Seems a bunch better, as good as my old Arai Quantum. Now the only problem is my glasses fog...

The other option is to change helmets. Ski Doo / Bombardier OEM the Lazer in this country, available in any Ski Doo snowmobile store.
It has a fog-resistant double visor that is rated for street use, unlike the majority of snowmobile visors.

However I don't like the fit, as I have a 'well-developed' chin. Generally the helmet doesn't fit me nearly as well as my Shoei.

YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts