Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm about to go and test ride a zx14r at the stealership. I'm on the edge of deciding whether to get one (prob not for a couple of months yet), or to just keep the 12.

I would like to hear from fellas who have been able to keep both bikes, and how much they end up riding the 12 after purchasing the 14r. I know situations vary for everyone, and even I will only know if I do it myself. My question really I guess is; do you find the 12 becomes redundant as a second bike? I have done this before when I traded my first 12 for a new '08 14. Actually went back to a 12r as I missed it that much! Thing is, this new 14r seems to be that much more than the 14 from what I have read.

When the 12r was about to come out, I searched all the online info and brochures I could. I can honestly say I was hooked on the looks of the 12r as soon as I saw it. The 14 took a while to come round to, and I only bought one as I thought it was going to be a better bike all round, which it essentially was, but...it was no 12r in looks and animal behaviour!

I promised myself I would never again be without a 12r, but if I go the 14r way then finances alone may determine if I would be able to retain both. I know only I will be able to decide finally how I do things, I just want an honest appraisal from others as to how they felt about the 12r and 14r.

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I currently own both

havent got many miles on the 14 yet so Im not decided which I'll end up with

14 is much stronger but feels heavier.

depends on how much a guy wants the extra power

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I also have both. One big reason for keeping the 12r is that I'm the original owner and it's exactly how I want it to be. The other reason is that I just love the bike. It is the first 12r Kawasaki made and I had to have it. I was going to buy a 14 a while back but I decided to hold off until the first 14r was available. Now I own both 1st 12r & 14r.
I road the 12r very little last year. This year I plan on riding the 12r a bit more. If I had to pick only one it would be the 14r, but I'm not in that position.
The 14r can seem a little heavier at very low speeds but that is the only time. The 14r seems to suite me better overall no matter how I choose to ride or where I ride. It also gets better gas mileage when it doesn't get pushed. I don't do track days and I don't race 1/4 mile at a time so mileage is considered a plus for everyday riding.
I hear a lot about how ugly the 14r is in comparison. I don't find it ugly. The 14r is different but not ugly to me. Best of luck with your decision.

Lou

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, just returned from test ride of about 70kms/45ml on what I call my 'test ground'. This includes hills riding of long sweepers, tight low speed corners and uneven road surfaces. It gives me a fairly broad test of varying road and riding conditions. These are the roads I usually ride on. I also do the yearly track day at Philip Isd - riding over there (900kms) and then back, so get touring duties too.

The 14r I rode was a demo, I was the first test rider so even tyres were not scrubbed in! They are now...

Findings: The 14r is smooth and compliant with suspension, I'm aware it is not set up for my weight/riding style so allowances were made. Even so it was compliant enough.

The power from low revs is impressive, instant 'GO' with wheel lifting ease! This power continues at an incredible rate and demands full attention. The gear box is positive and generally smooth, given it's a new box still getting used to being shifted.

Seating position is comfortable, and soft, I have a corbin seat on the 12r and find it excellent, so I'm not sure how the 14r seat would go after longer rides (500kms plus). The footpegs 'seem' to be slightly higher than the 12r, as my legs felt just a bit more bent than on the 12r, this could be just me sensing it, I don't know the actual geometry figures between the two bikes. Nothing upsetting though.

Handlebars are slightly lower than my 12r but I do have 2nd gen Helibars and would get the same for the 14r. I did notice the size of the front fairing as it protrudes forward, but then again you're not focussing on that while riding!

Wind protection was pretty much the same as my 12r, and I have an aftermarket screen on mine with mild raised bubble.

Turn in on the 14r was easy and I could get it to lean over without any real effort. My 12r has front 120/70 rear 200/55 Dunlop tyres with Racetech front fork internals. My suspension is dialled in to my liking (by myself) for preload, comp and rebound, so handling comparison wasn't expected to be too amazing on the 14r (given it's oem).

My final observations: the 14r is an amazing bike, with more power than the 12r from down low and right through the rev range. It handles on a par with the 12r, though I think mine feels 'tighter' due to having sorted it out. I rode the same roads on my 12r straight after the test ride to give as direct a comparison as I could get. My 12r has the Nissan radial calipers on '04/'05 front forks so breaking was on a par - I did manage to get the ABS working on the 14r just to see how it felt (much like a car's to be honest and not intrusive or coming on too easily). When I rode on my 12r afterwards, the thing I did notice was that even though the power was not so evident, it comes on more progressively and predictably, so I could wind it up through the corners without worrying about overpowering it. This too may just be me being used to the 12r more.

Will I get a 14r? Still unsure at the moment, but it certainly does everything the 12r can but quicker as far as power delivery goes. Just not sure it is 'that' much different or better to justify getting. It makes me consider keeping the 12r and getting something entirely different with it. May change my mind....decisions, decisions...

Don.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries Ima, still pondering myself. As I said ideally I would like to keep both, but after the test ride I am even considering some other type of bike with a different focus to the 12r or 14r, just need to ride some others to find out what it may be! I will be test riding a 2013 Aprilia RSV4-R, it has a slightly larger tank than previous model and gives a different feel when sitting on it. Also the shop dealing them does their own adjustable rear sets. I sat on one with them and their not bad, I'm about 188cm/6'2", and my son sat on it too and he's about 195cm/6'4"ish and thought it felt ok.

The hunt continues...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi, i also have both, a 2004 B2H that ive tricked a little to my individual taste, then the misses decided she wanted some occasional trips around europe as pillion, this is when the 12 gets trumped by the zzr1400... we tried some shorter trips and she decided we needed more luggage capacity:banghead:
on the positive side when she quickly realized the 12 was going nowhere ( its my 3rd ) i had permision to buy a zzr1400 as we had previously test rode one and she loved it.. sooo then came an A6F 2007 zzr1400 with yoshis 2nd flies out custom map etc etc with only 6k miles on it... i agree with previous comparisons... the 12 is my pref with no pillion... looks better sounds better but dont go or stop quite so good but still mega fun
the zzr is a better bike in most respects but not quite as nimble and defo not as good looking

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bomber12r, you were one bloke I did think of when I first posted as I know you tend to ride either one according to needs, and would have a decent appraisal of each. My situation with my wife is that she used to ride her own bike until a bad car accident in 2012, now she is reluctant to even get on the back of one due to ongoing neck injuries, even wearing a helmet is dicey for her. She has recovered well but wouldn't take much trauma to re-break her neck again so no more bikes. She is upset about this as she loved riding and even pillioning.

So, part of my questioning relies on just me riding on the bikes and therefore if it is worth having both, as I believe there is not too much difference in most aspects of either, apart obviously from power, to justify having both. The 12r is staying regardless of whatever I do, just have to decide if/what I get with it!

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
571 Posts
along with the 12 & 14 I also have a zx-10

Im cutting back to 2 bikes.

the 10 & 14 are staying & the 12 will leave as it & the 14 are too similar

the 10 & 14 are different enough to fill more needs

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, just returned from test ride of about 70kms/45ml on what I call my 'test ground'. This includes hills riding of long sweepers, tight low speed corners and uneven road surfaces. It gives me a fairly broad test of varying road and riding conditions. These are the roads I usually ride on. I also do the yearly track day at Philip Isd - riding over there (900kms) and then back, so get touring duties too.

The 14r I rode was a demo, I was the first test rider so even tyres were not scrubbed in! They are now...

Findings: The 14r is smooth and compliant with suspension, I'm aware it is not set up for my weight/riding style so allowances were made. Even so it was compliant enough.

The power from low revs is impressive, instant 'GO' with wheel lifting ease! This power continues at an incredible rate and demands full attention. The gear box is positive and generally smooth, given it's a new box still getting used to being shifted.

Seating position is comfortable, and soft, I have a corbin seat on the 12r and find it excellent, so I'm not sure how the 14r seat would go after longer rides (500kms plus). The footpegs 'seem' to be slightly higher than the 12r, as my legs felt just a bit more bent than on the 12r, this could be just me sensing it, I don't know the actual geometry figures between the two bikes. Nothing upsetting though.

Handlebars are slightly lower than my 12r but I do have 2nd gen Helibars and would get the same for the 14r. I did notice the size of the front fairing as it protrudes forward, but then again you're not focussing on that while riding!

Wind protection was pretty much the same as my 12r, and I have an aftermarket screen on mine with mild raised bubble.

Turn in on the 14r was easy and I could get it to lean over without any real effort. My 12r has front 120/70 rear 200/55 Dunlop tyres with Racetech front fork internals. My suspension is dialled in to my liking (by myself) for preload, comp and rebound, so handling comparison wasn't expected to be too amazing on the 14r (given it's oem).

My final observations: the 14r is an amazing bike, with more power than the 12r from down low and right through the rev range. It handles on a par with the 12r, though I think mine feels 'tighter' due to having sorted it out. I rode the same roads on my 12r straight after the test ride to give as direct a comparison as I could get. My 12r has the Nissan radial calipers on '04/'05 front forks so breaking was on a par - I did manage to get the ABS working on the 14r just to see how it felt (much like a car's to be honest and not intrusive or coming on too easily). When I rode on my 12r afterwards, the thing I did notice was that even though the power was not so evident, it comes on more progressively and predictably, so I could wind it up through the corners without worrying about overpowering it. This too may just be me being used to the 12r more.

Will I get a 14r? Still unsure at the moment, but it certainly does everything the 12r can but quicker as far as power delivery goes. Just not sure it is 'that' much different or better to justify getting. It makes me consider keeping the 12r and getting something entirely different with it. May change my mind....decisions, decisions...

Don.
Great write up Don , Good comparison , Thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks Bomber12r, you were one bloke I did think of when I first posted as I know you tend to ride either one according to needs, and would have a decent appraisal of each. My situation with my wife is that she used to ride her own bike until a bad car accident in 2012, now she is reluctant to even get on the back of one due to ongoing neck injuries, even wearing a helmet is dicey for her. She has recovered well but wouldn't take much trauma to re-break her neck again so no more bikes. She is upset about this as she loved riding and even pillioning.

So, part of my questioning relies on just me riding on the bikes and therefore if it is worth having both, as I believe there is not too much difference in most aspects of either, apart obviously from power, to justify having both. The 12r is staying regardless of whatever I do, just have to decide if/what I get with it!

Cheers,

Don.
Sorry to hear about your misses unfortunate accident. .. hopefully in time she'll get back on...
To be honest if I had no pillion I would prob keep the 12 and swap the zzr for a ktm990 adventure ... had one for a year and was brill just not fast enough or big enough to tour on 2up touring. . Great fun tho on or off road:crazyloco:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Logmaster and Bomber12r, sounds about right with getting/keeping two bikes that are different to each other to expand the whole riding experience! This is the whole point of my post, it's not about if the zx14r is better than the zx12r, just whether they are different enough for the needs of the rider to have both.

Aussiesteve, thanks mate! By the way, your avatar is giving me a headache! I keep trying to figure out what road the bike is on!! (EDIT: just realised it is a rollercoaster next to a road, good pic!!).

And for something different, did you used to own an older Suzuki 600 and do Mallala track days with Bill's Motorcycles in late '90's, and do skydiving?? I'm just guessing here having looked at your personal stats, I used to ride a blue zzr1100 at the track.

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Logmaster and Bomber12r, sounds about right with getting/keeping two bikes that are different to each other to expand the whole riding experience! This is the whole point of my post, it's not about if the zx14r is better than the zx12r, just whether they are different enough for the needs of the rider to have both.

Aussiesteve, thanks mate! By the way, your avatar is giving me a headache! I keep trying to figure out what road the bike is on!! (EDIT: just realised it is a rollercoaster next to a road, good pic!!).

And for something different, did you used to own an older Suzuki 600 and do Mallala track days with Bill's Motorcycles in late '90's, and do skydiving?? I'm just guessing here having looked at your personal stats, I used to ride a blue zzr1100 at the track.

Cheers,

Don.
:thumbup: Yep , Then sold that and bought a red VTR 1000
I think I remember you too , we used to have some great scraps at the track , I'd get you in the corners and as soon as it straightened up you were gone , Am I on the right track so to speak :lol:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:thumbup: Yep , Then sold that and bought a red VTR 1000
I think I remember you too , we used to have some great scraps at the track , I'd get you in the corners and as soon as it straightened up you were gone , Am I on the right track so to speak :lol:
Yep, certainly are! good fun that, I've progressed to doing the two day track rides on Philip Island once a year through Garage Cycles, usually ride over there and back, going again with my son this year. Haven't been on Mallala since those days.

Don.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, certainly are! good fun that, I've progressed to doing the two day track rides on Philip Island once a year through Garage Cycles, usually ride over there and back, going again with my son this year. Haven't been on Mallala since those days.

Don.
Had a lot of fun back then , I've only just got back on the bike again after about 12 years off , Been playing on the dirt in between though , Might see you round one day up in the hills :thumbup:

·
Registered
291 Posts
owning zx12 and zzr 1400

i have both a zx12 b2 and the zzr 1400 performance 2014, i prefer the 12 out of the two feels lighter and more comfortable im 6 foot 7 the 14 is great 2 up and is blisteringly quick ,nice to have the choice keep both if you can:mfclap:

·
Registered
528 Posts
If I own one more bike I'll go for zx10r..12and 14 are to close in performance and feel in my book

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Shit...the 10R these days is just as close as the 14 is to the 12. Them bastids keep right up. Can get them out the hole, but they have some snort. If you want the best of both worlds, get a 600 or something. Then you'll have light weight/handling (600) and power for fucking with folks (12).

The 10R is reported at over 180hp these days. The 12 only has it with bigger torque. The weight difference almost makes up for that tho.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Shit...the 10R these days is just as close as the 14 is to the 12. Them bastids keep right up. Can get them out the hole, but they have some snort. If you want the best of both worlds, get a 600 or something. Then you'll have light weight/handling (600) and power for fucking with folks (12).

The 10R is reported at over 180hp these days. The 12 only has it with bigger torque. The weight difference almost makes up for that tho.....
That is so true

1 - 20 of 50 Posts