Kawasaki World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i bought a bike off Craigslist. 2008 Ninja 650R. Brought a friend with me and he checked out the bike, did a test ride and said it was fine. I bought the bike, my friend rode it to my house, 30 min ride, parked it outside.

I tried to start it later that day and i couldn't do it. I figured it's been 2 months since I rode a bike and i prob forgot how to turn it on...etc. etc. I'll go practice with my friend later that week, i'll just leave the bike outside.

anyway, the next day, my bike was on the ground. Either the wind knocked it over or someone tipped it over. I took the bike to my backyard and stored it there. Got a bike cover and it's been sitting there for 2-3 weeks now.

I bought a Deltran Battery Tender junior and charged the battery.

The status indicator light was on steady red, which means the battery is connected properly and the charger is charging the battery. Then it was green light flashing, which means it's about 80% charged. Then it became solid green, which means the charge is complete.

So I unplugged and tried to start the bike... same thing happened as the video. It won't start. So I plugged it back in, the green light is flashing and I'm planning on leaving it overnight.

I don't know why it won't start. Maybe I should take it to a mechanic?

any advice. Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Get a new battery.If it doens't fire again you might want to get some one to look at it.Maybe a tilt sensor gone bad after the fall(red light flashing).

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
You have a bad connection. Start at the battery. Work your way to the starter. There is a bad connection. That's what everything does when there is a bad battery connection. There's not enough current getting to the starter to whirl it so if falls on its face like that. Cars do that too. I'm pretty sure that's your issue if it ran before.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I'm telling you man....it's a bad connection. Chase your tail if you like, but you either have a direct short to ground after the starter button or a shit dirty bad connection at the battery or solenoid or starter. When anything dumps like that, that's the FIRST thing you look for. If a bike didn't start with the kickstand down by design, I'd kick that piece of shit over so I could easily fix that problem. I've actually never heard of a bike not starting because the kickstand is down....:headscratch:....unless there was an issue with the switch.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Was the battery new with the bike? No.
Did I let it sit for 2 months and now try to charge it up? Yes.
If I go to the Yuasa website and read where it says a battery loses 1% of charge a day or say 60 days and you do the math, watt say ye now?

I say I better read how to prep a new battery I read the instructions that comes in the box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts