Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting my wheels powder coated. Anybody have their wheels done? Does it stand up tp tire changes? Is it worth the cost? Any good companys that do this? Or is it better to just get them painted.
I'm thinking of this for this Winter's project.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
How much weight will it add? :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Powdercoating is 2-4 time's thicker than paint. The durability is second
to none. It's almost scratch proof. You can't go wrong. Do a search and
you should find ton's of place's that would be glad to do your wheel's.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
vozizm said:
i was thinking about a black swingarm?...
I'm doing my swingarm this Winter. I talked to a local company about doing it and they said that if I was in no hurry they'd wait until they got a big batch in the same color and only charge me $40. I took the bike over for them to look at because there are many different textures in black and I wanted to match the frame as closely as possible. We picked a "60" texture. That's their terminology for a particular DuPont finish.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Roy (Slvr12) got his swingarm and some other parts powder coated black and they looked real good. I believe the guy who did them lived close to Roy. Seemed like it was around $40.

·
4,208 Posts
Ok heres the scoop......On my 93 zx11 I did all my own polishin and powder coating....heres where the polishing came in ......there are 2 types of powdercoat transparent and opaque....if you choose a transparent like I did ....you should polish the metal so it gives a nice shine to it........opaque doesnt matter for obvious reasons .....Powdercoating is relatively easy to do and requires a steady careful hand and patience..as well as space and a place to cook the parts.....As far as durability it holds up well and I'll tell you a lil trick guys once its applied and dry .....have it clearcoated ...Heavily....It adds to the luster ...(obviously)....and durability......If you guys want I have in teh past ...I will post pics of my 11 and its parts ....which I did 3 yrs ago...and have over 8,000 miles on...and still look new.........Brian

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I did my swing arm,rearsets,clutch cover,engine cover and had the front sprocket cover painted gloss black to match(its plastic so you cant powder coat it) I think it shortens the bike up and really like the look of it!

I had my Marchesini"s painted silver and have had no problems so far, but I do take painters masking tape with me for them to put on the rims when they change the tires.

The guy that does my powdercoating does alot of pit carts and things for the nascar guys down here!

Call and talk to [email protected] enochville iron works 704-932-7722

He does a great job and is reasonable!

I asked him and he can recieve and ship parts...

He has all kinds of colors also!

Roy

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy's for the info.

Epstein
If you have any pictures.....yes please :)

slvr12

I will be giving Robbie a call.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I fixed the one pic.

Those are the Marchesini wheels.

Voz, he has the Spencer Cycle Brushed Aluminum Risers....

This is Roy's bike, he has a billion dollar Zedex-12 :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
ynot said:
I like the swingarm but call me weird but I like the Black stock rims...
You wouldn't if you ever lifted one of those..... Lifting my weenier to pee is heavier than those wheels.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Theres a huge difference... I haven't actually lifted them for the 12 but every other Marchesini wheel has been light as hell...

·
4,208 Posts
This is a pic of my zx-11 taken last year ...the purple is the transparent powder coating I was refering to.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts