Kawasaki World banner

How refined do you think this bike is compared to other sport bikes of this class?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having problems with their ZX-14R? I've had problem after problem with mine, and right now I'm at my wits end. Let’s start with the first problem that came about. It started at about 800 miles. Front brake shuttering (it appears to be). I've complained about this problem to the dealer and have had the bike in the shop for this problem at least a half a dozen times. Every time they wipe down the rotors and say their fixed, the problem always returned, sometimes as soon as the same day. After 3000 miles Kawasaki finally replaced the front rotors and pads. Unfortunately, the problem returned a mere 300 miles later. At times the bike is just about unrideable, and definably a major safety concern. I bought the bike brand new from the dealer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats just the first problem. Most of the other problems can be traced to the dealer. (I now have the third LoJack system installed, and it's still not working right ((Dealer installed) The alarm that was installed by the dealer said was defective, but when mailed to the company who makes them, they said it worked fine). They reinstalled it and it finally worked.
Kawasaki issues: I've never bought a bike that didn't have a center stand, $200. A rear hand rail thing to grab on for the passanger, $130 something). and other odds and ends. Over a peroid of two months of putting my helmet on the helmet lock/think under the seat, it ripped a hole in the seat (They could have put the thing a inch lower). Yea, the bike has one hell-of-a pull when you hit that throdle, and that's awesome. But it looks to be, like they cut a lot of corners making this bike. I've been riding all my life.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Tell them to check the run out (warp) on the front rotors. Tell them to replace the calipers. The pistons could be sticking. I get a little oscillation from time to time. If I keep them clean it helps a little..Stop whining.You got 1 problem with your zx14r. THE FRONT BRAKES that are Kawasakis fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did u say quit whining? wow, i hope you don't tell everybody advice like that when they're trying to find out how to fix their bike. the problem I'm having with this bike couldn't be a more dangerious problem, the bike is just about unridable. How would you like it if you just spent $17,000 on a brand new bike and after three months the bike has a major problem? If your going to tell people to "stop whining", please don't reply to this post anymore. I need help with this bike, not insults.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zx12mark, but I do appreciate the link to the v4market Front Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit, thks. I'll look into it. Right now I'm exploring all avenues. Kawasaki has said they’re not going to do anything else for me, so I ain't gonna get any more help from them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If it's shuttering that bad under braking and the dealer already tried to fix it a few times they've obviously admitted there is some sort of problem, now if their all of a sudden saying sorry we tried and won't try anymore I'd be one pissed off guy especially after springing for a brand new bike! If that's really the case id find out how to contact Kawasaki directly and explain the situation and how it was handled by the people u forked $17K over to! That's bs man half the benefit of buying new is for worry free riding and the reassurance if smtg does break it gets taken care of for free under warranty! On a new bike I'd b bitching a fit till that shit is taken care of...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I dont think cutting corners is exactly the right way to put it,

The zx14 had many issues, random knocking on new or low mile engines etc etc

Im not surprised if you find something wrong with the design of a 200 hp almost stock motorcycle...however im very surprised your having issues with your brakes... there is only so many things it could be, and sounds like dealer and yourself have covered bases...

If you have checked serviced and replaced the potential culprit parts, and it still does it, it leads me in the direction that its something else, not the brakes, but that gets affected once the brakes reach some point, either heat, dirt buildup iono,

Was thinking something unbalanced? Maybe some sort of fork malfunction?

Very strNge symptoms sir, clean go away, comes back, change parts goes away, come right back...

Id def bitch until someone either solves your problem, or offers you a full new front end... what else could possibly solve the problem you havnt already tried?

Know i havnt helped, hope it does anyway...

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Just an idea.....for brake failures.

If you clean them, and they are having issues, replace them, and they are having issues, are you sure you don't have leaky fork seals? Sounds to me like there is a contaminate getting on the important parts. I know when my seal went on the 12, my front brakes were all but useless...and only one.of them was contaminated with fork oil. It doesn't take much and your brakes will be shit. Do you ride along areas of a lot of dust? Like gravel roads and stuff...cause road dust can cause you some issues. Not always, but is an option.

If they have replaced the parts and it has come back, there is only so much it could be at this point.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I dont think cutting corners is exactly the right way to put it,

The zx14 had many issues, random knocking on new or low mile engines etc etc
Really? That's news to me. We have had two of them (and two 14R's now). If you are referring to the cam chain noise on startup, it's a characteristic of the design, not "random knocking". What was your experience with your 14's? Tell me more about the "many issues"....

·
Registered
480 Posts
did u say quit whining? wow, i hope you don't tell everybody advice like that when they're trying to find out how to fix their bike. the problem I'm having with this bike couldn't be a more dangerious problem, the bike is just about unridable. How would you like it if you just spent $17,000 on a brand new bike and after three months the bike has a major problem? If your going to tell people to "stop whining", please don't reply to this post anymore. I need help with this bike, not insults.
No usually his standard smart ass reply all over the web regardless where it is has something to do with money like he's wealthy. Guy has to split buying a freaking bike with his son and he's spewing money garbage constantly. He'll figure out one day that people with real money NEVER brag about money. Only those that are in debt to their ass trying to look wealthy brag.

Back to your problem. I would be surprised if the rotors are warped but it's possible. Many times pad build up on the rotors will cause what you describe and since you say the dealer has cleaned the rotors and it has left that's where I would start. Buy some different pads. If you aren't a brake guru call someone like Jeff at Brake Tech and ask him for advice he'll shoot your straight. I use cast iron rotors and SS rotors depending on the kind of riding I'm doing that day. You can't pussy foot around with cast iron they'll build up pad material and shake your teeth out. Your factory rotors are SS. Vesera makes some great pads... SRJL17 would be my choice ....racepad?56

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Really? That's news to me. We have had two of them (and two 14R's now). If you are referring to the cam chain noise on startup, it's a characteristic of the design, not "random knocking". What was your experience with your 14's? Tell me more about the "many issues"....
So maybe many was the wrong word, i heard about some of the issues, i assume there where more i havnt heard about. low mile engines popping, the cam chain knock and or cold or low idle knocking that the factory just decided to call character.

His thread was getting filled with useless and rude responses,

Although mine was arguably no help, it was better than the rest.

Obviousy kawis build quality on there big boys is well above average.. but even they have some flaws....

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Take it to a different dealer.They get paid to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My brothers 14r has been faultless to be honest .. not one problem + brakes are superb !

Just a thought , how do you wash / clean the wheels ? If you are using a spray style cleaner/ shiner it maybe causing a problem if sprayed on the disc's ?

Hope you get it fixed quick !

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Take it to a different dealer.They get paid to fix it under warranty.
...Or better yet contact the marketing dept at kawasaki usa and tell them that this unresolved problem is being discussed on kawasakiworld.com where thousands of potential zx14r buyers are waiting to see how kawasaki usa takes care of its customer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, I was not going to admit this about my 2014 ZX14R ABS, but here it goes:
My name is Mike and I own a ZX14R ABS. I have put 9K miles on it and after tempting fate over and over again my bike...............

Runs like a bat out of hell! Flawless performance and butter smooth speed. Not a single problem except for that loose nut behind the wheel!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
problem with 14r

Good news. It looks like the shuttering problem has been fixed. My first attempt at fixing the problem was to replace the brake pads with some aftermarket pads. After an initial breaks in period of about two hundred miles, the shuttering seems to be gone almost completely. Once in a while I'll feel a tiny, little shutter, but nothing more than that, and only once in a while. I don't know what the problem really was, but I suspect it has something to do the the matching of the pads with the rotors. The problem is also appearing on the Kawasaki contours, their latest, (the 14 something, I think) (They both have the same breaking system, I believe). Anyway, problem is gone, thanks for all the help everybody. I'll let everybody know if the problem returns. As of right now, the bike is back to being the awesome machine that I hoped it would be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello -

I, too, have a 2015 ZX14R, 2K miles flawless...
First warranty claim at 1700 as the windscreen cracked around two bottom bolts - dealer acknowledged over-tightening but also suggested not using S-100 or Windex to clean windscreen as it weakens plexiglass - indeed the area around the bolt holes was dissolved...
New windscreen installed, no muss no fuss got to spend time in a Kawasaki dealer - what's not to enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news. It looks like the shuttering problem has been fixed. My first attempt at fixing the problem was to replace the brake pads with some aftermarket pads. After an initial breaks in period of about two hundred miles, the shuttering seems to be gone almost completely. Once in a while I'll feel a tiny, little shutter, but nothing more than that, and only once in a while. I don't know what the problem really was, but I suspect it has something to do the the matching of the pads with the rotors. The problem is also appearing on the Kawasaki contours, their latest, (the 14 something, I think) (They both have the same breaking system, I believe). Anyway, problem is gone, thanks for all the help everybody. I'll let everybody know if the problem returns. As of right now, the bike is back to being the awesome machine that I hoped it would be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts