Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from the Maine Event at Loring Timing Association. good and bad results. for those following my build progress, you know that the bike acted up with a boost controller so last minute i decided to run it on spring only (20 psi- 485 hp) the bike is a f*cking animal in that state of tune. on my first run i decided to try a "soft" pass with no tire warmer. ive never seen a tach go from 6-12k instantly. the poor power one didnt stand a chance at even part throttle. (some getting used to required lol) the bike still felt way faster than anything ive ever been on, it was geared far taller than my street bike which had a best of 227/234 last year and i was either hauling ass or spinning like mad, maybe a bit of both. at about 3/4 of a mile to maybe 7/8 i was out of gear and had to get out of the gas, i rolled back in briefly before the mile and then coasted the rest of the run. 1 mile speed 241.1 mph (for my Cad friends thats 388km/h) all seemed fine until i got my time slip and noticed some coolant coming from the overflow. shit. i decided it was 1 of 2 things and hoped for the least damaging. it was either head gasket failure or my liquid cooled turbo and gate were boiling the coolant in my tiny rad. had some help from family and friends we got it back to the pits and bypassed the turbo coolant line and got back in line, this time on a tire warmer. huge difference in traction, the bike was still spinning, but was also floating the front tire and accelerating at a much higher rate of speed than the first run, made the first run seem slow. sadly the theory of the turbo boiling the coolant was not correct and i saw coolant spraying so pulled it over to the side. im fully confident it was about to be a 250 pass in the mile and hard to say how fast in the 1.5. we will have the head o-ringed and hopefully have it live to its full potential for the next event. i know i experienced great potential in this new build, much faster than anything ive been on before and while i didnt think i deserved it, I guess i showed decent enough control to be given my AA license as it was within the 10mph buffer. thank you to everyone that was a part of this

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Fantastic Scott.Be safe brother.That is real fucking fast.........holy moly

·
Registered
245 Posts
Excited to see you got your AA license......Congratulations that's well deserved after that ride.
Sounds entertaining...:)
At 250 and a blown head gasket ...... Things can get ugly fast
Happy to hear it was a non issue.
I hope to see you up there in Sept.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Im going to take a few days to recover from the drive and lack of sleep, then pull the head to have it o ringed. surely it will live after that. planning on running the bike well over 250 this fall :)

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Still awesome news, even with your 'minor hurdle'!
Looking forward to see how it goes once sorted

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That's awesome Scott, some truely impressive numbers there! Can't wait to see what you can do once you get it all sorted out... Good luck with it man!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
WOW! Awesome! Sucks on the blown HG, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day! I have no doubt you're on your way to be the fastest Kawi ever!!

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks guys, I think Cooper Performance will be doing the o rings for me. i should be able to just bolt it back together with a new gasket and run it. no other changes. (maybe an oil change lol)

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not at this time, ill just learn better throttle control with a few more passes

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
very wild!! the goal for this bike was a 1:1 ratio of hp/lb and it certainly feels that way when you twist the grip! "1:1 Hulk" therefore the new bike number 121H
no it was just a stock bore cometic MLS gasket clamped down with APE 11mm studs at 75 ft lbs. i think ss o rings with the same setup will hold it together.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
so with the ss orings r u doing a reciever groove? i read they need one?

was there any reason u didnt wanna go with copper orings?

i have 0 experience and was reading up a lil, there seems to be alot of debate as far as whats the best....

i think will always depend on application so, scott, please on our application, whats what?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in this (planned) application, the ss o rings only stick up a tiny bit and are forced to bite into the mls gasket.
another way is to run the o rings with more stick up, and have a receiver groove cut into the surface on the other side (block or head) of a solid copper gasket. but that way is a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
480 Posts
very wild!! the goal for this bike was a 1:1 ratio of hp/lb and it certainly feels that way when you twist the grip! "1:1 Hulk" therefore the new bike number 121H
no it was just a stock bore cometic MLS gasket clamped down with APE 11mm studs at 75 ft lbs. i think ss o rings with the same setup will hold it together.
Koenigsegg already beat you to the One:1 deal.. Check out their One:1 car... Same as your bike 1 Hp per 1 Pound of weight.... Not a bad goal or bad company to be in..

One:1 - Koenigsegg | Koenigsegg

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Koenigsegg already beat you to the One:1 deal.. Check out their One:1 car... Same as your bike 1 Hp per 1 Pound of weight.... Not a bad goal or bad company to be in..

One:1 - Koenigsegg | Koenigsegg
I've read about that car it's unreal in what it can do! Thanks for the link was very cool hearing/seeing it run. To be a millionaire and have real access to toys like that, ugh, maybe in my next life...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts