Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the proper way to shift with out the clutch like do u let off the gas 50% or 10% on my crf 450 i hit the gas when i kick the shifter will this hurt my 12 should i be smooth with it even with out the clutch....i guess im caught up on trying to make it sound like i got a air shifter

·
Registered
571 Posts
I believe the fastest way to shift without an air shifter or quick shift is to never let off the throttle & fan the clutch.

Cant help you in regards to making it sound like you have an air shifter

·
Registered
810 Posts
imho...

preload the shifter just a little (you'll feel the restance with yer toe), then back the throtle off just a touch... maybe 5% and it drops right into the next gear.

*** that being said, on the 12 I do NOT shift clutchless either into or out of 2nd.

(it's kinda ...clunky... for lack of a better word and it doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling, so I just don't do it)

but 4, 5, 6 is smoothe as butter...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
imho...

preload the shifter just a little (you'll feel the restance with yer toe), then back the throtle off just a touch... maybe 5% and it drops right into the next gear.

*** that being said, on the 12 I do NOT shift clutchless either into or out of 2nd.

(it's kinda ...clunky... for lack of a better word and it doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling, so I just don't do it)

but 4, 5, 6 is smoothe as butter...
X2....I always used my airshifter,street and strip...But pre loading is the way I did it on other bikes...

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
pull up, blip the throttle a bit. worked for all shifts this wknd at Loring with a stock trans, no back cut or anything fancy.

·
8,537 Posts
All you need to do is make sure you remove the 'load' from the transmission. Just a slight twist of the wrist, change gear, and roll back on the throttle. blip, yes...small controlled off throttle, and then right back on the gas.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
bingo

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my problem was rushing the shift an gettin back in the throttle to quick an lowering the the shifter help me kick better also

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This site has a lot of tips and techniques from some very committed racers from all over the world. If you click on the 'Advanced Search' option and enter search terms like 'drag launch' and others related to what you want to do, you'll find a lot of information.........................:zxred:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This site has a lot of tips and techniques from some very committed racers from all over the world. If you click on the 'Advanced Search' option and enter search terms like 'drag launch' and others related to what you want to do, you'll find a lot of information.........................:zxred:
Cool thanks

·
8,537 Posts
Practice, practice, zx14r, practice....you will get there, I had the same problem. My problem is internal, kinda like when the light changes green then I go. If you wait for the light, you are starting the race from behind the other guy. It takes coordination for me to do, and the only way that works for me is Lots of practice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Practice, practice, zx14r, practice....you will get there, I had the same problem. My problem is internal, kinda like when the light changes green then I go. If you wait for the light, you are starting the race from behind the other guy. It takes coordination for me to do, and the only way that works for me is Lots of practice.
Right on i do about 5-10 launch a day an if not i sit in the drive way an launch with the engine off...gotta get the seat time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts