Kawasaki World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being one of those guys who can ride the wheels off a bike but can't put them back on, I need some advice.

What PSI's should I run in my tires? I live in AZ and 90% of my riding is straight line or highway curves. The other 10% can be drag your knee kind of stuff(if it isn't covered in sand from weather).

What do you pro's say?

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
All I can tell you is this....

With the Pirellis/Metz's we recommend a hot temp of 36 pounds for best performance... In other words you check your cold temp before going on the track and then check hot temps coming off the track... You adjust accordingly from there... In other words your cold temp is say 31 pounds.. You run your practice and come in and hot temp is say example 38 pounds... Lower you cold temp by 2 pounds to be adjusting accordingly.... Also front and rear tires will probably have a different amount of temp rise to it...Thats what we recommend...

Therefore find the recommended pressure of the tire and adjust it till hot pressure is at that level would be what I recommend...

Tire pressure also will change you mileage also... Less pressure worse MPG... So its a tradeoff to what each individule wants....

Basically I'm not much help HUH....

·
Registered
759 Posts
I dont think there is a cold temp in Arizona!!! :lol:

Thats a tuff question, it all depends on what tire your using...For OEM tires I would say 36lbs.Front and Rear!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
51 Posts
like what was said before...depends on the temp, lower air pressure means your tires will heat up quicker, if temp is real hot, add air.

I run 31 and 30 on the track, and if the tires really ball up bad, I'll add some air...

If you're mostly doing straight lines and your tires have time to reach temp, I'd run 36 and 35. Unless you have a passenger, then more air, just a couple of pounds though.

just my opinion though...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use 42 front, 42 rear, just like the manufacturer recommends. Now what does Kawasaki know about tire pressure, right? Well, they must know something about performance bikes, because they designed this cutting edge masterpiece of a motorcycle. Like most of us, I was accustomed to lower pressures, in the mid 30s range, on my previous bike, a Bandit. I was very surprised that the manual stated 42 PSI for my new ZX. Frankly, I tried various lower pressures, but everytime I went up in PSI, the bike handled lighter and seemed to respond quicker to steering inputs. Rapid rear tire wear is a problem of course, and higher pressure means less heat, so that is an advantage. I think higher pressure in the front makes the bike feel lighter. Try it yourself and evaluate. It is very important that you feel a sense of confidence in the way your bike is set up for you.

Keep in mind I only ride on the street (the track is an altogether different matter) in Florida in a warm climate on hot roads. Cold weather riding may require lower pressures. Also, I'm a light to medium duty corner carver.

It is of interest that the last MCN tire testing I read, most of the tire pressures used were on the high side and they tested on the track.

Best wishes
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts