Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up gentlemen?

Just have a quick question. I ordered K&N air filters back in June and they finally came in last week (apparently some problem with fitting on the 02).

I called the Kawasaki dealership to see if they had time to install the filters this afternoon. This was their reply:

We will have to schedule you in sometime next week because your bike will have to be remapped once the new filters are installed. This is because the K&N air filters will allow more air flow than the stock filters and cause the bike to run lean.

Is this correct? My 12R is completely stock (no aftermarket pipe, no PCIIIr). The only mod I have is a 16-tooth front sprocket.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hello Tico

ALIEN HERE

I DO NOT THING THAT THERE IS A WAY TO MOD THE STOCK ECU..

SO THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION IS NO..

IT'S VERY EASY TO DO TICO!!

1. REMOVE SEAT
2. TAKE OFF TANK COVER
3. REMOVE BOLT AND LIFT GAS TANK AND PLACE TANK STAND IN
4. LOOK FOR 4 BOLTS IN A LINE (RECTANGLE IN SHAPE)
5. REMOVE THE 2 SCREWS PER FILTER AND PULL OUT
6. REPLACE WITH K&N AND HUMPTY BACK TOGETHER AGAIN :)

ALIEN OUT

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with the dealership. They say the bike should definitely be remapped to avoid damage from running lean.

Now if the stock ECU cannot be remapped, would it be better to hold off on installing the filters until I get an aftermarket pipe and pcIIIr ??

Is anybody on the Forum using an aftermarket pipe and K&Ns without a PCIIIr ??

I was hoping to avoid a PCIIIr after reading about all of the problems that come along with it.

And what's this "Possible Forum Spy" crap ??

·
Registered
80 Posts
k & n

I am still new to this shit but that is the most retarted thing i ever heard so I think u should get a bat and go down to that dealer and rap his head in and say Gilloooooooooon sent u and call him a dumb shit :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I'm running an Akra, K&N's and Kleen Block off with no pc3r.

You must have missed the thread, but after I sold my PC3R, I stated that even though I was running a zero map, my bike was running way too rich (you could really smell it if you were following me) and my gas mileage went up 7 mpg to boot by taking the pc3r off.

The K&Ns flow better than stock, but not enough to cause the bike to lean to the point of being a problem.

I heard that the stock ECU is a flash PROM unit, and that a dealer can alter the map but I've never seen it done.

Putting in the K&Ns is so easy to, I wouldn't take it to the dealer if I were you. Do it yourself, run the bike 500 miles, and check the plugs for a lean condition.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys. There's nothing like coming to this Forum to get the "real" story.

I got kind of worried and knew something was fishy when the service guy told me that he was going to have to rejet the 12R. :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Bat

I still think u should go do there with a Bat tough guy and show him us zx12r big dogs mean buisness and we dont like to be [email protected]@K with out being kissed first "IF YOU WANT TO [email protected]@K ME FIRST YOU HAVE TO KISS ME" HOUSE OF PAIN COMING FROM THE FASTEST ZX12 A ""GREEN ONE IRISH PRIDE" :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts