Kawasaki World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 17 tooth front from Doug @ Spencercycle. I was reading the service manual tonight and it stated that I should apply " molybdenum disulfide oil solution " to the threads of the output shaft and the sealing surfaces of the sprocket nut and washer for the install. What are you using for this ? Also, can the bend washer be re-used, or should I just get a new washer ? Last... what size socket do I need ? I plan on putting the bike in neutral and standing on the rear brake while using a IR air impact wrench to bust the nut loose. Judging by what I encountered with the rear axle nut, it will be way tight. Did I miss anything ?

Oh yeah, I also ordered a yellow box from Doug. Hopefully he will receive his next shipment without too much delay due to the dock workers strike. Regardless, I like a man that answers his own phone, real nice guy to speak with, thanks for all the posts that pointed me in his direction.

Scott W.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Voz is on the money. Idid not use any of that lube/oil you mentioned either. Mine came off easily with the impact wrench.
Also, it makes it easier to get the chain off if you slide your rear tire all the way forward :wink:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Big...Make sure the 12 is in Nuetral...You need a hammer and screwdriver to flaten the washer back against the sprocket...Have your wife stand on the rear brake, so you dont have to put anything between the rear wheel and swingarm!!!...Leave the chain tight when loosening the front sprocket nut, then loosen up the rear to remove the front...

Dude you should have went with the 16-44 sprocket setup!!!...Just my .02 cents!!!...The 17-46 will be fine though!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
690 Posts

My frt sprocket nut came off very easily,by hand.My steering head nut was also loose when I got home from the dealer too,and my front fender was 2 threads from falling off and getting run over. :roll: I got out the socket ets,and went over everything,seemed ok.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies ! It's not the dampened version, just a plain ole Sprocket Spec. 17 toother. I spoke with Doug about the dampened version and he said he had only one customer complain about the un-dampened SS version. I'll give it a try and see, in all likelhood I will be doing something different to both sprockets in the spring, this will get me through the rest of the fall.

Scott W.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks mwrzx12, I figured Doug wouldn't steer me wrong and I appreciate your reassurance 8) .

CR... I was just checking sprocket size/gear ratios on the Renthal site. Looks like 16-44 equals 2.75 while 17-48 equals 2.82 ? They don't mention tire size. If I'm reading this right, my set up, in theory mind you :wink: , would be slightly faster off the line but somewhat slower at the top end, right ? Or am I missing something ? I guess you have to try to compromise between super fast off the line, which ( again guessing here) would take you to the rev. limiter sooner and lower gearing for somewhat slower off the line for a good roll on ?

Scott W.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Bigsaint what you are missing is wheelebase... With the 16/44=2.75 you gain alot of wheelbase... Heres what it looks like... http://www.dontbescaredracing.com/photos/gearing/index.htm

Wheelbase = the ability to not wheelie which can be helpful.....

When you go with a bigger rear sprocket it shortens with wheelbase....
Look at what mark you at then look at these pics and you get the idea.... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts