Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference?

According to Michilen, the HPX is specifically designed for the Big-Daddys (12, Busa, XX), but says nothing more than "engineered for sustained high-speed operation." What about wear? Same as the Pilot Sport? I remember reading an earlier post where someone classified the HPX as a "sport-tour" type of tire, but can't find anything at Michilen.com to confirm this... Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I can only say that I love my Pilot Sports (190 out back) and they stick like glue.

But.... be ready to go thru 2-3 sets per season -- 6-8,000 miles.

·
Registered
468 Posts
usedtobeTainuiNYC said:
I can only say that I love my Pilot Sports (190 out back) and they stick like glue.

But.... be ready to go thru 2-3 sets per season -- 6-8,000 miles.
so are you saying they aren't very good for wear then? :?:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have had them on for about 1.5 months and the rear is done. I have done 1.....okay 2 burnouts on it -- but nothing like Blitz's Avatar -- just a little smokie.

and we ride pretty hard, edge to edge. My stock 208's lasted considerably longer, however, that was thru the breakin period.

Its probably right in line with how long a good sport tire should last - just not too keen on the idea of $1200 in tires per season.

·
Registered
468 Posts
hmmm, well, you've got me worried now...after reading all these posts about how long lasting and great this tyre is i'm not rethinking it and maybe thinking about going for the bridgestone one (010 i believe)...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
dude, get the pilots you will love them.If you do burnouts no tire will last .Even a small burnout will take 2-3 hundred miles off a tire.I live near the dragon and ride it and the skyway hard a couple a times a week and i got 2400 mile on rear.My TLR used to eat the same tire in 1800 miles.Discount Motorcycle tire on the net has package deals with 2 rears {190] and 1 front for 380.00 plus 14.00 shipping.With smooth riding and no burnouts they get just as good a mileage as anything sporty out there.One other thing i like about the pilots is my front never cups and lasts around 5k

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I was NOT impressed with the life span of my BT-010. Barely 4000 miles, a couple of burnouts, but not smokey ones. :roll:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Soft/sticky tires just don't last as long, period...nature of the beast. But whatever tires you decide on, shop around... BIG price differences.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Somewhere along the line I heard the the "X" in HPX stood for X-tended wear and that they were a dual compound tire designed for longer life.

Jereon pointed out that the "X" stands for Xtreme.

To be clear, these are NOT extended wear type tires (from what I can derive from the Michelin website) and are in fact specifically designed for the zx12 and Busa.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've got two new still in the box HPXs.. not ready to put them on just yet., (thanks to Richard). He fixed me up with a nice set of slightly used PIRELLIS. I have not had alot of time to ride lately, cause I'm still working 12's every day till Next Saturday. Im not sure if its the compound or the size (190), but the ride home was enough to convince me they're a nice change from the stockers.

btw: Richard is one Cool cat ! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts