Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a post by some guy on a YZF forum about how his mildly modified R1 will outrun GSXR1000s and he almost beat a ZX-12R. Yeah, right! I have similarly modded my new R1 and it's nowwhere near the accereration or topend as my ZX-12R. I let him know that the 12 he raced was either playing with him or an inexperienced rider. Time for a reality check.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Depends on what we are talking about here. The R1 is very quick, just like the gixxer. If we are talking flat out go for gears and rip, no way an R1 will run with the 12R. However, in top gear at 70 mph on the highway, my friends R1 will jump out 5 bikes on my 02 12R until 120 whenI start to real him in.... and he weighs almost 50lbs more than me. He is turning about 144hp with a full akra and custom tune on a 2001 R1, and my 12R is stock except for the high power gain of the undertail.

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
It all depends on how ya race. The R1 better hope the curves are tight and the straights are short. I love the top end charge of my 12!! :D

G

·
0 Posts
I recently obliterated my mate on his r1(piped,jetted etc)in a race from about 90kmh up,and I let him go 1st. He couldn't believe the performance differance between the two bikes.
As far as track work goes, it would probably come down to the rider.But with equal riders the r1 should be qiucker around a track. I've ridden an 02 r1 and loved it! :oops:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mark pmb smoked a R1 on the way to VIR...and he even had his wife on the back!

Roy

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Its true :twisted:

Short story. We have a pretty good size group riding. About ten bikes I think. I was in the rear, and got seperated by some traffic.
Our group passes a bike on the side of the road, he pulls out in front of me
and rides a nice wheelie, I will give him credit for that.
We take an exit....the wrong one. So everyone shoots across the road and back down the onramp

Here comes the race.....

R1 and me at the stop sign, he revs her up several times to get my attention, I look over and he bolts wide open, I hit milli seconds later
Now wifey is hanging on tight, about to the top of 1st gear Mr R1
gets a PMB blur as I blow by him, hit 2nd get a little loftage,
now I'm screaming back onto the interstate, and R1 guy is thinking
what the hell was that guy on, I'm way out front when I reach
my passenger restricted speed limit. I don't ride to aggresive
with wifey on board.

Thats the only person I have had challenge me in 5 months,
and he wishes he would not have done that :twisted:

There is no more later...end of story :wink:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Its kind of weird, but I see almost NO R1's around here. Well, to be honest, I've only seen one other ZX12R here besides mine, that wasn't visiting me.

Lotsa gixxer1k's and 929/954's. And I also see alot of Ducks.

I heard (from several guys that owned them) that the earlier R1's were really flighty on the front. The guy that was framing the house next to mine had one, and said he hit 145 on it, and the front end was so skittish, that it scared the shit out of him. He said he hated the bike, and was gonna get rid of it as soon as he could.

I've never ridden one, just what I heard from a couple owners.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My brother has a 99 R1 with full Yosh, jet kit, and timing advance. He weighs about 160-70 and I am 220lbs. He is pretty quick. And he has stomped every Gixxer and Honda around here, but when it comes to me and him thier is no competion. From a roll his bike will jump out but not for long. And we usually stetch them out on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Thats when he shines. I rode that bike and I can't believe how well it handles. But it just doesn't have that brute force of my 12. I can't wait to try out my full Muzzy, k&n's, and PC3R on those guys.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Guys, the 12 is not rollon friendly in 5th-6th gear at 60mph, its about 4000RPM...Remember theres no power down there!!!...The smaller bikes with motorwork and gearing puts their RPMs up higher so they make more power till we wind up our RPMs...

If you do rollons with a guy, start at 2ndgear then work your way up!!!...That way you let them see the power of the 12!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WTF?

Blitz, I've got one word for your nieghbor...the carpenter: suspension! knowledge! skill! balls! Okay maybe three or four words! :D The stock suspension on my '02 R1 feels better than the Ohlins rear and race tech forks on my 12. Probably because the 12 has 40 or so more ponies and weighs an additional 100lbs. I feel like I can ride the R1 more aggresively than the 12 through twisites, but when we hit the sweepers and straights....well that's were the 12 rules ALL! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
blitzkrieg said:
Its kind of weird, but I see almost NO R1's around here. Well, to be honest, I've only seen one other ZX12R here besides mine, that wasn't visiting me.

Lotsa gixxer1k's and 929/954's. And I also see alot of Ducks.

I heard (from several guys that owned them) that the earlier R1's were really flighty on the front. The guy that was framing the house next to mine had one, and said he hit 145 on it, and the front end was so skittish, that it scared the shit out of him. He said he hated the bike, and was gonna get rid of it as soon as he could.

I've never ridden one, just what I heard from a couple owners.
Dang Blitz, when I came to visit, i saw TWO ZX12's in one day, and a third the next day on my solo rides! You must ride the roads that no one else knows about.

·
Registered
506 Posts
R1's are pretty quick. I agree with Crotch Rocket. There are a couple of guys here with some really quick R1's and 929/954's. One in particular is rumored to have about 150-160 rwhp. After further invertigation, most I've found have more than just mild tuning. They have major motor work.
Evenly modded. the 12 will come out on top an in some cases with mods it will there too. The one to keep your eye on is the Gixxer 1K. Out of the box they're some of the quickest/fastest bikes I've seen.

They're all scary fast with a good rider on board too!

·
Registered
260 Posts
It is easy to underestimate the WEIGHT FACTOR in acceleration.

A lightwight rider has a real world advange. Conversely, the bigger guys are at a disadvantage.

A skinny guy on a GXer 1000 (that weighs a 100 pounds less than a 12) will surprise you how fast he can accellerate.

The typical pro motorcycle racer is not a very big guy.

And no, ...........I'm not going on a diet.
Bogus

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mmmmaybe....

I know what you mean Bogus. I'm 6'1" 240lbs and yet the 12 still makes me feel like a small rider on a big bike. The R1 makes me feel just the opposite, like a big person on a small bike...which is partially true...damn it!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
there'a a pair of blue R1s in this area and the frolik together all around. saw them both wheelie and it was kul!!!!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts