Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check the "for sale" forum on here for some Gilles rearsets (still in box)I'm selling for almost half price. Peace.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Speednuts said:
Rearsets make a BIG difference in the ergos, your riding position and smooth out the shift patterns as well
Can somebody explain to a dummy like me about rearsets? What position do they put your feet in? Smooth out the shift pattern... how? I've heard of people using them, but I know nothing about them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm....

Name-aftermarket reasets are very adjustable footpegs which include relocation of rear brake and shift levers also. They allow you to fine tune your riding poisiton, whether you like more legroom to cruise or a racier more aggresive riding position atop your bike. I like them because they allow me to set my legs in the perfect position so that when I lean the bike in my knee naturally touches down instead of having to hang off the bike like a monkey. They also raise the pegs so as to increase ground clearance for cornering. As for the shifting, you can make micro adjustments on the shift linkage to sort out the throw pattern thus allowing you to make smoother shifts. Allows you to adjust the shift lever for your foot size and position. Less likely to hit false neutral or miss a gear. Hitting neutral is also easier when you want to. Some even allow for Gp style "reverse" shifting...that's 1-up, 5-down.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Re: Umm....

Thanks Speednuts for that info. Seems like rearsets are worth looking into since the 12's tranny isn't the forgiving kind. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep!

One word of caution though Name, go with good quality rearsets. Some work on bushings while others use ball bearings and others sealed bearings on the levers for easier long lasting ooperation. Some are also lighter than others and you may drop five easy pounds off your bike. Go with something like Gilles, Mikuni, Sato Racing, Harris, etc. You'll pay $400 and up for them but they are worth it! Stay away from Attack, Protek, Vortex, etc as they are cheaply made and don't last as long (ie. one tip over and your peg snaps off) I highsided my 12 a few months back and the only casualty as far as the rearsets was a bent bolt holding the rear brake lever to the master cylinder. Just replaced that one bolt and everything else is fine. Quite impressive when you consider it was a high speed high-side and the 12 has considerable mass when resting on it's side. Hell I'm 6'1" 240lbs and I had trouble picking this beast up. Make sure the rearsets you purchase are made to bend in case you lay it down.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
:D
Good purchase Blitz! You won't regret it! Big improvement in both gear changing and more rear braking power! Love mine to bits!
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh?

Ted-you actually use your rear brake? I use the rear so sparingly that I adjusted the lever down far enough I have to really stomp on it so as to avoid locking up the rear. I like to be able to rest my foot in any position on the peg without fear of inadvertently riding the rear brake. I do this because I've yet to find a good pair of boots which allow me to feel exaclty how much rear brake I was using. Oxtars and Race Carbons are too stiff for feeling the lever but I don't want to sacrifice protection.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I have yet to get any feeling out of the zx12's rear brake, including hitting it with my Canvas Converse AllStar Hi-tops.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The rear brake on the zx12r SUCKS.

- Thats just my op-ed.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Speednuts,
I like to brake late and deep!
I use the rear brake a lot! If you go into a bend with a trailing rear brake, it stabilises the bike whilst you are still leant over, allowing you to come off the front brakes and onto the throttle in one smooth action without the bike wobbling or moving about as you transit from power off to power on.
It acts a bit like a small parachute effect! (Yes, I have already cut off my rear mudguard) LOL
I agree with you in that the stock rear brake is essentially crap! Feels like a block of wood and no stopping power!
After fitting the Gilles rearsets I can now lock up the rear at just about any speed I want! wet or dry.
Since going over to Goodridge Kevlar lines, HH pads and full synthetic Dot 5 fluid, the brakes front and rear are just about perfect!! (However, cautionary note; they will NOT tolerate hamfistedness)!
I've had to up the compression on the front forks to compensate for the front brake's extra ooomph!
I am now more than happy with my braking set up, not to mention the pose value of "Backing it in" into corners! LOL
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm....

I also have EBC pads and ss lines up front and just ss lines out back. I left the stock pads on the rear because I don't want the same amount of bite front and rear. I use the rear sparingly. The streets are just not predictable enough for me to back it in, especially on a big bike like the 12. I've put an Ohlins on the rear and race tech the front with springs(1.00), gold valves and heavier fluid but it still wallows too much (preload is almost maxed out) and the brakes over power the suspension. It is difficult for me to do a stoppie on my 12 but I can easily pull one on my R1. I think to make the 12 a better turning bike the front forks need to be beefed up. Probably some Ohlins Superbike spec forks, yeah, they're only $5000.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Hey Speed, my wife is all pissed off at me because of my pit bike purchase, so I am going to concede the rearsets to Ghengis. I know he wants them bad!

Ghengis, they are all yours. Get in touch with Speed. okay?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Bummer Blitz!
Guess you can't have it all at once! Still, there's always another day!
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bummer dude!

Sorry to hear about that, Blitz. Ah, the joys of marriage...NOT! Guess it's time to take the little woman shopping. Peace.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Dudes,
I'm sorry the main man here didn't get his way.

I was next in line and I am happy for that.

I thank those guys for putting up with my million or so messages especially Blitz cause I was only trying to make sure he was sure he wanted em!!! :lol:

I cant wait to get them! I almost bought that same set earlier this year and was ready to wait till spring.

Yes......

Thanks to SPEEDNUTS for cuttin em loose!!!!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts